Van Aid 2023 - Plomosa Road - Feb 2 to Feb 16

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RvNaut

Reaction score
Welcome to the 2023 Van Aid Event.

As you may know Tyll will not be here this year. He is luxuriating is the freezing north with warm friends and family. While I am messenger of the day, I am not in a position to actually host this event, but I have taken on the spreading of the word.

What this means is that "you are on your own kids." There is no official host (unless one steps up to take it on) , but there are people that are planning to be there to help, and we hope people that need help, and that these two balance.

If you are helping, please spread the word to those in need, and to others that may be interesting in lending a hand.
If you are in need, you will need to provide materials for your project, and be present to help, oversee, guide and potentially get out of the way.

The event will run as normal, in that participants will gather at 10am each day around "center camp" where those in need will announce what they need and those that are there to help will pair up as they see fit.

In the past "center camp" was where Tyll setup his tents , lights, PA etc etc... This year, it will be up to *you*... you will have to figure this our for yourselves, and create a center camp when you get there. If you have lights, a PA system, and anything else you think would add to the atmosphere and events, please consider bringing it along.

Cheers All...

Facebook Event Page - Please Share to the FB inclined

For us noobies, can you tell us a little about what Van Aid Event is like or about?

"Fulltime in a Ford Transit High Roof Extended since October 2017......."

I almost bought a ford transit to convert but my wife was worried that our HOA would consider it a commercial vehicle and not let me park it in the driveway. I ended up getting a Chrysler Pacific minivan instead and I do like it a lot.

"Fulltime in a Ford Transit High Roof Extended since October 2017......."

I almost bought a ford transit to convert but my wife was worried that our HOA would consider it a commercial vehicle and not let me park it in the driveway.

FYI, I don't think a passenger van can be forced into the commercial vehicle classification. Even if the seats are removed, it's still a passenger vehicle. But there can still be restrictions based on height or length...

I am likely to be at this year’s van aid. It might provide the inspiration I need to finally finish the remaining task for my build. Plus of course help other people with their stuff. Even if it is just lending Pirate camp workers the use of my very smooth cutting 110v jigsaw or my adjustable height scaffold. I will have my sewing machine along.

My Transit Cargo van IS considered a "Commercial vehicle used for personal use"

Pirate Camp will be at Van Aid !
That's exactly my point. One of the ways to avoid being considered a commercial vehicle is to buy a passenger van. For insurance and DMV purposes in most jurisdictions a passenger van is not classified as a commercial vehicle. Cargo vans, despite their actual use, are presumed to be commercial. There are many advantages to choosing to convert a passenger van instead of a cargo van. That's just one of them. My Sprinter can be a campervan, a people hauler, or a cargo carrier- in about an hour.

Soooo, where are you meeting? We are heading out to Q and would love to meet some of you Van’ers.

A group of us are in the LTVA LaPosa South.....we call it Pirate Camp.......You're Welcome to visit anytime.......

The LTVA is a Pay-to-stay area but you can visit then Camp on free BLM land ........PM sent(Conversation)

Thanks for the replies, we will be out there January 23-27. Looks like we’ll come and go before your get-together.

How It Works

Someone(s) get to the general area on Jan 30/Feb1 range to choose a spot for Center Camp. (check back here/volunteers volunteered!)

People arrive and camp in the general area of Center Camp and settle in. Is this you?

At 10am on Feb 3rd, those in need and those with skills will meet around center camp. Projects are identified and evaluated based on need and ability.... what do you need and is there the ability?

Overall, it is up to each person to let other know their skill set and for those in need to have a good idea of the end they want and materials to make that happen.

There is no guarantee of free materials. On the other hand, you may find that donations solve your need.

It is all very loose... it works because people communicate and work together to help each other.

So then.. if you have a need, think it over, draw out your ideas, think about alternative ways to accomplish what you want. Write a list. Think about how you will move your stuff out of the way, and how t protect it all if your modifications take days, or parts are needed.. etc...

If you are looking to help, first of all.. Thank You. Allow the build owner to have their say, and also be patient in explaining why a 100 gallon water tank on the roof is a bad idea..
😃
Your trade is essential in doing the needed work, be it electrical, solar mechanic, carpentry etc etc...

Helping is also building a fire ring and managing firewood collections and purchasing the firewood.

Helping is also making a group lunch, or sewing and even moral support!

Today volunteers stepped up too go out and select a site for the gathering... that info will be posted here in the days before it all kicks off.It will be out on Plomosa Road... in a spot away from others and room for all...

A great event, a little bit more constructive than some of the party events but looser, and maybe more skilled, than the RTR.

The RTR in Quartzsite was intended to attract the under-skilled who have a million questions about how to live a nomadic life.

The RTR in Quartzsite was intended to attract the under-skilled who have a million questions about how to live a nomadic life.
That’s what it is now, and there is nothing wrong with that. There are issues as to the path HOWA followed to get there.

A great event, a little bit more constructive than some of the party events but looser, and maybe more skilled, than the RTR.

I do not know how people can party that hard all the time, hopping from one event to another... phew.. I am way too old for that game...

...and yes Van Aid is about the building/helping, and the party aspect happens, because of all the people.... and the fire,.. it does seem that a lot of the other events are party first, which is fine, I think that is what everyone expects....

*I* will not be "center camp guy"....(no offense intended) you will find me on the edges of the camping area. I appreciate the brave folk the play with fire but I am usually ready to chill by 8-9pm.. :) I know that .. well.. things can get a bit boisterous around the fire and in some enclaves.. :eek:

More skilled and perhaps more seasoned.. or rather, been out there and now understand a bit more and need a hand up... like the woman that wants to have help installing a roof fan.. she brings the fan and "peoples that knows" help her install.

It is important to be considerate and respectful of regular quiet hours at night at Van aid because the underlying goal is to stay safe and get a lot of work done. If people are kept awake most of the night by partying noise their ability to work safely is considerably compromised by a poor nights sleep. They also need to think clearly as materials need to be measured as well as installed correctly.

Tyll did a good job of shutting the noise down at 10pm. I think that should continue to be a group policy that everyone understands the need for and respects why it is an essential for safety.

Good Morning...

The site will be announced by the evening of Tuesday January 31st. The is to encourage us all to fall within the 2-week stay period.

If you would like to help, please PM me here or through FB. There are not many "point" positions, but some small amount of organization does need to happen.

Everyone that can afford to bring firewood, please do so.

See You Thursday/Friday.