Two Proven, Practical Ways to Effectively Keep Cool in a Van

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

debit.servus

Reaction score
Here is one proven, practical way to effectively spot cool yourself in a van in any place, even in Florida: Ice-based Hydronic Cooling using water-to-air heat exchanger. You will need to have ice or cool water for it to provide a A/C-like breeze out of the heat exchanger.

I am so confident in hydronic cooling system that I'm going to have it with me in the sleeper cab of the company truck when I drive OTR later this year, as an alternative to sweltering where anti-idle laws exist.

The second proven, practical way to effective cool yourself in a van only works in the desert, and other arid places: Evaporative Cooling using one of the many swamp coolers out there, including DIY options. Here is a DIY evap. cooler that has been proven reliable in harsh enviroments:
Yes you will need water for this to work, so suck it up water efficiency-nandos: allocate the space and weight for evaporative cooling water, and spend the extra Point .1 MPG to carry the evaporative cooling water alongside your drinking water.

If you're stuck in a hot, dry place for the summer you can be in a bubble of coolness without an engine or generator, allowing yourself to use 1-2 gallons of water a day in your evaporative cooler.

If you're stuck in a hot, humid place for the summer you can be in a bubble of coolness without an engine or generator, with at least 5 pounds of ice a day in your heat-exchanging hydronic cooling system.

Attachments

• 2018-05-03 23.31.55 c.jpg
    2018-05-03 23.31.55 c.jpg
    852.7 KB · Views: 12