Two MaxAir Fans Amp/Wiring& Portable Power station Questions

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jayhawksw

Reaction score
Okay, I'm new to all this electrical stuff so please bear with me. . . I have two MaxAir fans installed in my roof. I have a 400 wh lithium portable power station. It has one 5 amp dc port and one 10 amp dc port. At the moment I have individual plugs on each of the two fans that plug into the 5 amp port just for trying them out. Obviously, I want to be able to run both fans at the same time one for inflow the other flowing out. I'm planning to wire them together into one cigarette plug to use with the 10 amp port. From what I've tested running them individually on their highest speeds, if I were to wire them together, the combined amps pulled would be between 5-6 amps. So, that should be fine running in the 10 amp port, correct? But I should NOT wire them together onto one to go into the 5 amp port, right? 

Also, would there be any advantage to wiring them each with their own separate cigarette plug and plugging them into a splitter on the 10 amp port? Aside from the fact I could just plug one in if I only wanted to run one? I assume I just need to make sure I don't go over the watts or amps max for each individual port on the power station? I just don't want to blow a fuse or ruin something from trying to run too much at once. 

Thank you

Consider wiring each DC load to a DC fuse panel, then wire the 30 amp Anderson plug output from the Yeti to the fuse panel power input connections.

Not sure having two roof mounted MaxAir fans gets you anything. All the air movement will be up high across the ceiling. Try using just one with a window open to pull air across the living space like the bed.

^^^ A vent set to exhaust and a window by you provides good airflow. If you open all the windows, very little airflow can be felt.

I would use a splitter, that way you can run one, both or either. As far as amp draw, you should be fine, what kind of portable power station are you using?

LoupGarou said:
Consider wiring each DC load to a DC fuse panel, then wire the 30 amp Anderson plug output from the Yeti to the fuse panel power input connections.

Not sure having two roof mounted MaxAir fans gets you anything. All the air movement will be up high across the ceiling. Try using just one with a window open to pull air across the living space like the bed.

There's not a 30 amp Anderson plug output as this is not a Yeti. It's too late now, I already have two fans installed. I don't want to have to have a window open for safety reasons.

Parkedinavan said:
I would use a splitter, that way you can run one, both or either. As far as amp draw, you should be fine, what kind of portable power station are you using?

MAXOAK Portable Generator Power Station 400Wh Solar Generator 2AC Outlet 110V/300W Lithium

Okay, I'm new to all this electrical stuff so please bear with me. . . I have two MaxAir fans installed in my roof. I have a 400 wh lithium portable power station. It has one 5 amp dc port and one 10 amp dc port. At the moment I have individual plugs on each of the two fans that plug into the 5 amp port just for trying them out. Obviously, I want to be able to run both fans at the same time one for inflow the other flowing out. I'm planning to wire them together into one cigarette plug to use with the 10 amp port. From what I've tested running them individually on their highest speeds, if I were to wire them together, the combined amps pulled would be between 5-6 amps. So, that should be fine running in the 10 amp port, correct? But I should NOT wire them together onto one to go into the 5 amp port, right?

Also, would there be any advantage to wiring them each with their own separate cigarette plug and plugging them into a splitter on the 10 amp port? Aside from the fact I could just plug one in if I only wanted to run one? I assume I just need to make sure I don't go over the watts or amps max for each individual port on the power station? I just don't want to blow a fuse or ruin something from trying to run too much at once.

Thank you
Would getting another portable be too much ?

So lets see 6 amp current in a 12 volt system is 72 watts. How long do you plan to run the fans and how are you planning to keep the power station battery charged?

sounds like you have a good temporary set up now. I would go with the fuse panel idea even if your power source isn't set up for it. Some input adapter can be made. You have awareness of current (pun?) limitations but your future needs or supply might change. You may want to supply that panel with vehicle source and careful monitoring.