Truly Fulltimers... storing Passport, Birth Cert., etc.

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
TrainChaser's list of reasons for extra precautions was pretty exhaustive, but I did think of one other.  It's unusual for someone to come home to their S&B house and find out that someone broke in and drove the 3BD/2BA down the street.  Conversely, that exact thing happened to 721,053 vehicles in the U.S. in 2012 (FBI).

I didn't think those little firebox things were much good for a hot fire.

As you probably know, some look impressive, but aren't.  Others are actually built to withstand fire at certain temps for certain amounts of time.  Last time I looked, I thought a few commonly available models would be realistically helpful.

I can't think where I would keep important stuff outside the vehicle. But I learn new things from people every day -- I was hoping someone had a brilliant answer that I was just too dense to figure out myself.

This whole issue does take some head scratching, unless "Don't Worry, Be Happy" has been an effective solution to everything before. Didn't work for me. This idea doesn't quite qualify as brilliant, but might work for some.  If you tend to move between a few different "hubs", consider getting a safety deposit box in a bank in each of the towns / hubs.  Move your documents seasonally.

Vagabound

Passport card in my wallet, it's all we really need to travel Canada and Mexico, and Passport itself, along with rest of important papers, in file box in van. Things like birth certificate, will etc., I carry certified copies with the originals filed at the courthouse back in state of residence.

BobBski said:
Passport card in my wallet, it's all we really need to travel Canada and Mexico, and Passport itself, along with rest of important papers, in file box in van.  Things like birth certificate, will etc., I carry certified copies with the originals filed at the courthouse back in state of residence.

How do you get a birth certificate certified?  Bring it to a notary?  I always see requirements for "Original Birth Certificate," has the certified copy worked?

Bster13 said:
How do you get a birth certificate certified?  Bring it to a notary?  I always see requirements for "Original Birth Certificate," has the certified copy worked?

The courthouse files the original and gives me a "Certified by the Court" stamped/signed copy.  I've never had any problems.  In truth, the "original" you say you have, is a copy from the county you were born in...they keep the true original on file.

I register all important paperwork with the court...you are then out nothing if lost, just inconvenienced until a new certified copy can be mailed.

I keep important docs in a safe deposit box at my bank, we always travel with passports/marriage license/medical powers of attorney, but copies of everything stay in the box. A good friend (who isn't a traveler) has a key to the box in case we need something sent.

On the road, docs live in my backpack/purse.

BobBski said:
The courthouse files the original and gives me a "Certified by the Court" stamped/signed copy.  I've never had any problems.  In truth, the "original" you say you have, is a copy from the county you were born in...they keep the true original on file.
Can it be any courthouse or does it need to be the one your domicile is closest to?

Bster13 said:
Can it be any courthouse or does it need to be the one your domicile is closest to?

Pretty sure it can be any.  When I retired from the Army I just went to closest courthouse and filed my proof of military service paperwork.  They recorded, filed and issued me certified copy.  Anytime I need an additional certified copy, I just contact them.

Checking into the thread since it needs to be dealt with here soon. In the trailer there is a area that you wouldn't think had a space in it, I have a firebox that will fit in it. I do have family that can store copies and such.

All that stuff is replaceable with a small amount of aggravation and footwork so putting it in a tucked away place should suffice, putting it in a small fireproof box even better. Though those small ones will likely fail in any sort of catastrophic vehicle fire. Drywall is fire rated, cut a few pieces to fit inside a firebox and sandwich important papers between the layers for added protection. Stick papers in ziplock bag first to protect from water.

Sorry for the necropost. I read this and was thinking it would be a good ancillary service for a mail forwarder to provide. They store your docs in a firesafe onsite (or in a local bank's safe deposit box) and can send them or notarized copies to you as needed.

I will keep all originals in a fire safe somewhere secret in my camper. I will have physical copies of the most important documents in a safe deposit box or other secure location I get depend on to have mailed to me if an emergency arises. I also have digital copies on a flash drive and backed up on a secure cloud server.

TrainChaser said:
Does everyone carry their documents in that container with wheels that is full of flammable liquid?

If it's good enough for you, it ought to be good enough for your passport.

66788 said:
If it's good enough for you, it ought to be good enough for your passport.

But I presume you're smart enough to flee from your vehicle if it bursts into flames.  Are you sure your passport is smart enough to do that? :D

Queen said:
I keep important docs in a safe deposit box at my bank, we always travel with passports/marriage license/medical powers of attorney, but copies of everything stay in the box. A good friend (who isn't a traveler) has a key to the box in case we need something sent.

On the road, docs live in my backpack/purse.
This is the solution I'd use, maybe a reasonable priced attorney's office rather than a friend.

I have critical birth/death/marriage/divorce stuff from overseas jurisdictions would cost thousands and weeks of PITA for multiple friends/family members to repace.

I think really this could be a little business idea for a hungry lawyer.