Truck Stop Etiquette

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cherterr

Reaction score
Great Video on everything  you always wanted (Needed!) to know about how TRUCKERS feel about RVers and Van Travelers using these shared facilities!

No need to get the 'stink eye' from the truckers any more. :) :thumbsup:

I stay in truck stops very frequently when I’m on the road. I have learned that the number one hazard at a truck stop is getting hit, either knowingly or unknowingly, by some trucker backing into a space, or just plain not paying attention.

Don’t expect truck stops to be quiet; they aren’t, regardless of the time of day. Rigs near you will run their engines all night. Or, reefer units will be kicking on and off. Or the rigs next to you will hook and unhook at 3:00 am! But, you have to remember that truck stops operate 24/7 and trucks come and go on the same schedule.

“Generally”, most truck stops are fairly safe. If you see “Lot Lizards” wondering about, then you are staying in a less-than- safe truck stop. Truck stops require that your “situational awareness” is particularly sharp.

I’ve stayed in many over the past nine years and have never had a problem. I’ve had the “beeby-jeeby” feeling a couple of times and just left for somewhere else.

Just my opinion . . .

I maybe wrong (doh), but it seems to me that most truck stops are rather large places, and there is room to park your rig on the "other side" away from where the tractor-trailers park. It would be a bit crazy to get in their way. It does become more of a problem if you're pulling a long travel trailer or 5th wheel, of course.

Also, here is a brief summary of getting showers at truck stops. Adds to the convenience of spending a night in such a place.

https://drivinvibin.com/2019/09/04/truck-stop-showers/

From other truck forums, I've heard, the "Swift" drivers are the ones to look out for both in truck stops and on the Highways.

Thanks Cherterr for posting and thanks Robin for making the video.

I was an OTR trucker for years and years and I certainly agree that most truckers are sympathetic and friendly to RVrs. In fact, many truckers started out as campers and RVrs who said "Wait -- I can do this and get paid for it too?".

The drivers' main concerns about RVrs are both our safety and their safety record. They just really, really don't want to run over us, and they figure it's just possible that we're inexperienced drivers who don't know all the rules of the road and the truck stops, and so they worry about us when they see us in their space. Other than that, they're happy to share the big road with us -- as long as we don't get in their way.

So, a couple of things:

If you're not pulling a trailer, don't park in the tractor-trailer area at all. Period.

If you are pulling a trailer and can't find room in the front of the truck stop, go ahead and park back there with the large trucks, but be aware that you're creating a safety issue and act accordingly. Make sure they can see you by parking at the front of the space with your nose even with the noses of the other trucks in the line. Don't park farther back in the hole, even though it's quieter back there. Be seen -- be safe.

In the small minority of truck stops that have pull-through parking spaces or in rest areas on the interstate with those beautiful wide pull-throughs, park near the rear of the space so they can see you before they start to pull into what they think might be an empty space. Don't make them start to pull in and then have to back out. That causes disappointment and bad P.R.

Safe travels, everyone, keep a smile on your face and keep the shiny side up :)

Johnny

Drove semi for 25 years. Much of that pulling two or three trailers. Seeing RVs at the truck stops never bothered me. I actually enjoyed checking out the different types of units. What I still hate to this day is pulling into a rest area or service plaza and seeing a car taking up a truck space when there is all kinds of room in the car parking areas.

Maybe a tad off topic but

Had a dude acting fishy at flying j other night. I pulled in and he was in middle of little lot for cars sitting in his minivan like he was talking with someone. (Later found out there was no one in car he was chatting with). I circled store to give him time to leave cause he was blocking entrance. Halfway around i seen he was following me. I park and he circles again. Then parks right next to me and just sits in the van. Had a real creepy look about him. Long greasy hair in his 40's and wearing hospital scrubs or something. Looked like hes out of a mental hospital. Watched me for 30 minutes as i was playing on phone trying to avoid him begging for change or whatever he was up to.

My intuition was on high alert and that doesnt happen often. Im a bigger capable guy and been through a lot. Plus armed enough to take on any animal in the lower 48. Finally I got out with my female pitbull who looks a bit menacing (ellie aka el bear hence my screen name) to let her potty and he drove off. The whole thing so strange for reasons I cant fully explain. Had I been a female....

Theres been a couple others that were iffy. I know one in missouri reminded me of the movie roadhouse. Def had some lizards sonewhere.

Its always the ones off by themselves on a lonely exit or few miles down.