Trojan t105 vs Samsclub gc 2 Energizer golf batteries

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mobilesport

Reaction score
I've had good luck with the Samsclubs gc 2 (cost $200 )  cheaper if you have a membership. 
Your thoughts? ????

if they are working for you I say go for it. what the life expectancy? highdesertranger

Trojans are top dog flooded lead acid batteries.

Energizer gc-2s could be made by johnson controls or USbattery or Exide or Eastpenn/deka or perhaps others depending on where they decided to source them at that time, and where in the country they are located at purchase.

I would not want GC-2s made by johnson controls or exide.

I'd personally pay extra for trojan if they were for myself, but if I were trying for maximum profit, I'd choose the cheapest.

FWIW, I can't speak to the quality at all, but I just bought 2 Costco GC-2s last week that are branded Enterprise.

They told me at the time of purchase that they will take them back within one year, no questions asked. They cost the same as you said at $85 each plus a $15 core charge. I figure with that kind of return policy there is no real risk and I really needed that extra $200 elsewhere.

I'm sure I'll upgrade to something(preferably sealed) down the line, but right now I'm happy.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

I'm still on my first set of Dekas,so far no problems.I started out with 6 Wallyworld DCs.I beat the hell out of them and still had 3 usable after 3 years.

I bought mine at Batteries plus Bulbs. Labeled Duracell, which is a Deka brand. Made by East Penn. They are very good batteries and are highly rated across the board. Here, at Sam's Club, they have the Duracell, but I would have to have a club card. B+B was the same price, $109 for the 230 amp hour.

Sams club and Wally world batteries may not be the best thing since sliced bread but they seem to be good enough for a lot of people. They are very popular on RV forums if nothing else for the ability to be returned all over the country. Trojans for as wonderful as they are, can be ruined just as easily as any GC battery.

As a poor country boy I was taught to meet my needs from the ground up no matter how purdy the next option was. Taking care of the rich most of my life has shown me that often the brand babies spend extra money when the more impressive product offers nothing more to them to justify the extra expense. The only need they are filling is the ability to hold their heads up when they discuss it with their friends who won't be impressed no matter what they bought.

I should really read up on Walmart/Sams battery return policies. It'd be a lot cheaper (just a little more hassle) to run those and not care about cycling them down to 80% and then replace them when they die. 

Seems unethical, then again it's Walmart.

I don't believe outside of a oops situation that the 80% thing really comes into play if you think about it. We don't just use 50% for the health of the battery but because our systems run on 12v. You can go lower but only to a extent because different devices will shut down as the voltage goes lower.

Now if I am correct, one of the forms of LiPo batteries does hold it's voltage as it's discharged beyond 50%. That's why you can have fewer batteries and yet the same capacity as a larger FLA or AGM bank. OR I could have more usable amp hours if my 675 Ah bank of AGM's were LiPo's. However you want to look at it you would really have to want to have that advantage to balance out the cost difference. It would also change the watt to Ah ratio for a solar system since there would be more usable power to replace.

The 50% rule for Lead-Acid is due to them being damaged, not the lower voltage. Most Lithium chemestries, including LiFePO4 that I recommend for house battery use, are not damaged until somewhere below 20%. Lead-Acid like being slightly overcharged, and any overcharging damages an LiFePO4. LiFePO4 have almost constant voltage between 20% and 80% charge.

Mobilesport said:
I've had good luck with the Samsclubs gc 2 (cost $200 )  cheaper if you have a membership. 
Your thoughts? ????

If you're talking $200. each then Trojan is way cheaper.

I paid $155.97 for T105REs IIRC per battery core charge included - new installation so I didn't have old batteries to return.

The T105RE came with a 5 year warranty and are rated of something like 5,000 cycles.

Almost There said:

I paid $155.97 for T105REs IIRC per battery core charge included - new installation so I didn't have old batteries to return.

The T105RE came with a 5 year warranty and are rated of something like 5,000 cycles.

Pretty sure they meant $200 total (so $100 per battery including the core charge).  That's how much my Costco pair came out to and it sounds like the prices are pretty much the same.

Almost There said:

I paid $236 for 2 batteries ,  this was with tax and also included a 10 % upcharge because I'm not a member of Samsclub , they gave me  $36 back when I returned the cores so in the end I paid about $200 for the 2 golf cart batteries. 
If you're a Sams club member or if you find someone with a membership to buy them for you you can get em even cheaper.

Almost There said:

When I was buying batteries there was no local places that sold the Trojans , I would've had to have them shipped to me and  I imagined the shipping price would be crazy high .edit: I just looked up shipping prices for the Trojans and the price does' nt seem that bad

Mobilesport said:
When I was buying batteries there was no local places that sold the Trojans , I would've had to have them shipped to me and  I imagined the shipping price would be crazy high .edit: I just looked up shipping prices for the Trojans and the price does' nt seem that bad

the worst 6v  GC-2 battery is still a better deep cycle battery than 99.98% of  flooded 12v batteries sold, in deep cycle applications.

The trojan t-1275 is one of the few true deep cycle 12v flooded batteries, and it will still not last as long as the t-105s all factors being equal. 

A properly charged battery will never need the warranty.

Almost There said:

No, they are not rated at 5000 cycles.

According to Trojan's data sheet....never discharge more than 20% and get 4000 cycles. Standard 50% discharge gets about 1500 cycles.

Here's the pdf:

http://www.trojanbattery.com/pdf/datasheets/T105RE_TrojanRE_Data_Sheets.pdf

Note that the chart is labeled for a "stationary application".....those RE's may not be for mobile use....the standard T105 is made to hold up to the rigors of a golf cart ('specially when I'm drivin the back nine).

Did a salesman push the RE model and did he know it was for road use?

johnny b said:
No, they are not rated at 5000 cycles.

According to Trojan's data sheet....never discharge more than 20% and get 4000 cycles. Standard 50% discharge gets about 1500 cycles.

Here's the pdf:

http://www.trojanbattery.com/pdf/datasheets/T105RE_TrojanRE_Data_Sheets.pdf

Note that the chart is labeled for a "stationary application".....those RE's may not be for mobile use....the standard T105 is made to hold up to the rigors of a golf cart ('specially when I'm drivin the back nine).

Did a salesman push the RE model and did he know it was for road use?

My apologies - I don't know where I saw or got it in to my head of 5,000 but I now stand corrected.

As to a salesman, the answer is no and no. BUT, everyone I spoke to, both at RV places, my battery source and Trojan were all aware that they were for a mobile application. I chose the RE over the T105 all by myself. Only time will tell if I made the right decision. I'll let y'all know in a few years.

Thanks for this discussion!  I've just started getting ready for my retirement  ... this morning I went to a local RV dealer and bought 2 Trojan T-105 batteries.   

You got to start somewhere!!!!   :D

This is my version of "putting a stake in the ground"... I'm committed now.  No, I haven't BEEN committed (yet)... tho some of my relatives think I've lost my mind even considering living in a travel trailer.    Oh well, like Jimi once sang: "Others don't have to die when it's time for me to die... so let me live my life, they way I want to"... apologies to Jimi if I messed the lyrics up.

Mobilesport said:
I paid $236 for 2 batteries ,  this was with tax and also included a 10 % upcharge because I'm not a member of Samsclub , they gave me  $36 back when I returned the cores so in the end I paid about $200 for the 2 golf cart batteries. 
If you're a Sams club member or if you find someone with a membership to buy them for you you can get em even cheaper.
I need to correct this , the cores are $18 for both batteries ,,, not $36
So it was $218 total , got my core of $18 and so it was about $200 out the door.
I just bought another pair for around $186 out the door ( on sale plus no upcharge for not being a member)
I think they turned out to be duds , may return them.
I need to find someplace to buy a pair , i don't think i can buy the Trojans out of a
store , probably would have to have them shipped (big money).