Travelling with bigger energetic dogs

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lc94fsh

Reaction score
So we've been travelling with our black lab Ozzy and although he's awesome to have around.. he's a black lab. Do any of you have tips on travelling with dogs that need a bit more excersise and stuff? It's very tough to get Ozzy time to run around and even tougher to find out what to do with hi while we go explore towns. We are very close to deciding to send him back home somehow while we finish our 49 state trip.

What do you think? Is it worth it? What can we do (if anything in your opinion) to keep him as happy as possible. He's part of the family and if possible we would like to keep him with us.

I've got a 60 pound Standard Poodle as well as two very active little ones so I can relate. I'm planning a two month trip out west and will take all three. From your earlier post, it does not appear that you have a timeline that you have to stick to. Make it your job to find out of the way places where your guy can run and swim. I've never met a Lab who wouldn't fetch, toss a ball or stick for him every chance you get. In water is even better, swimming is great exercise. Search out dog parks in more populated towns so he can have social contact. Stop anybody walking a dog and ask where. Labs are smart like Poodles, they need mental stimulation. Hide treats around your camp and teach him "go find". Get a Kong and fill it with peanut butter or squeeze cheese for long road trips. Boil up a few marrow bones and he will be happy for hours. Hope that helps.

It is tough traveling with animals, especially in the summer.

Generally, I do any errands or sight seeing in the early morning when it is still cool enough to leave my dog in the car. This might not be possible at all in some places in the southwest, on some days. Sometimes it just doesn't cool down and shade can be hard to find.

In the heat of the day I'm either on the road with the AC blasting, or in the shade hopefully close to water.

It's definitely harder to sightsee with a dog. If that's a priority, and you're doing lots of indoor sightseeing, Oz might be better staying home, until the weather cools off.

Many of us who travel aren't doing the touristy things and arrange our schedules around what is best for our four legged partners.

I designed my life around my 80 pound coonhound and the result was I had my best possible life!

1) Be a snowbird. If he stays at a comfortable temperature SO DO I!
2) Walk him one or two hours a day. He stayed healthy and so did I!
3) Spend your time in National Forests in summer and desert in winter. That's what you were both made for.

At first it all seemed like a huge sacrifice. After a year or two I realized I'm not that much above a dog. What makes him supremely happy, also made me supremely happy.

But you may be more evolved than I am. I'm just barely above a cave-man. In fact they are my idols!
Bob

We have an ADHD bichon. Ok, he is only 18 pounds, but he is still nuts. We go out of our way to find campgrounds that are very dog friendly and have run areas. We leave him in indoor/outdoor kennels when we are going to be away for more than a few hours. He has a small bladder and dogs end up with bladder infections if they have to hold it, just like people. We plan our time so he gets long walks. He needs plenty of attention and exercise to stay happy. When he does not get it, he gets wound up and hard to live with. If we could not do this, we would send him to our son.

One of the main reasons I decided to stick around the Midwest and southeast for the summer is because of my dog. My life revolves around her, as hers does mine. she is a 45lb beagle/ lab mix, very high energy. when traveling I try to stop at least every 2 hours to walk her, play a quick game of toss the stick, walk as much as possible. I try to pick a destination that we wont drive all day. I'm in a car with no a/c, so keeping her comfortable is my top priority. when I need supplies I try to go early, beat the heat and the crowds. I only take her places that we can both go, which is fine with me. without Coco I know I wouldn't be doing this today.

Wherever we are (and mostly lately we've been at home), our dogs get a long walk every morning. When we are on the road, they get a long one in the afternoon too, since at home they have a large fenced yard. We also give pit stops galore when traveling. Keeps everyone mellower! We have a Rottweiler and a small Papillon-Sheltie, but this has been our habit for years and years, through a long succession of dogs.

When people say they want more exercise for their dog, they usually are asking, "Where can I let my dog run loose without guidance and without mental stimulation?" I don't know if that is what you're asking, but having a high energy dog is no problem. In fact I prefer high energy dogs as they perform better when demanding tasks are required. Utilizing a controlled walk will do wonders for physical and mental exercise. You must know what a controlled walk truly is for this to work, though.

If you keep your dog busy with you enough of the time, when you do leave him, he will sleep most of the time. That's what dogs do when there is nothing to do provided you integrate them enough with your outings.

No matter what you do, you will find limitations. You can't take your dog into Applebees, but you can sit in the outside area with your dog. Also, if you need to make a trip to the hardware/farm and ranch store, take the dog with you. Most welcome well-mannered dogs.

Every town is different, though. The only time I got kicked out of a hardware store was on a Reservation. I had just finished with a funeral while three feral dogs were running in and out, but as soon as I entered the hardware store, I was told no dogs were allowed. Weird.

Don't blindly accept limitations that have no basis. Most of us limit ourselves with our made up limitations or allow others to limit us by submitting to their arbitrary, unfounded control. If you are informed by someone of authority that no dogs are allowed, then be polite about it and go somewhere else that does allow dogs. (Ignore the busy-bodies that have no business bossing you around.) I don't do National Parks. Some places aren't safe even if they are allowed like on that Reservation I was on. Lots of mange, worms, fleas, distemper, parvo, and hosts of other parasites and diseases. I don't do PetCo because they want dogs on leash, but PetSmart loves having me there without a leash, so they get my business. Hopefully, some of these examples give you some ideas with your individual situations.

But you have to do your work first. Just like an unruly person will be asked to leave, an unruly dog will be asked to leave. Having an obedient dog will open up soooo many doors for you and make your trip so much more enjoyable instead of a burden you may need to leave at home.

Assuming you have good verbal control of your dog, you could get a well fitting harness for the dog and a pair of roller skates for yourself and go for a run! Alternative could be a sled with wheels, or a bike. Could be fun... or scary.... or both.

Been reading on another forum about all kinds of dog trouble and attacks in campgrounds or public land. I've never had any problem. But just like it took me months to get back in the water after seeing Jaws, I am getting spooked. I think I will start carrying that can of bear spray when I take Whiz for his off leash walks out back. We've run into 2 off leash rottweilers near this park that showed no interest in us at all. Didn't see their owner, tho. You never know about next time.

Latest posts