Traveling alone, ever worry about getting sick?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
HarmonicaBruce said:
I mean, if I was to have a heart attack in the van, who would know? I could be in there until I started smelling the place up.

No more so than living alone or going backpacking or canoe tripping solo.

Don't think old musicians die like that more likely at a jam session, Good thread though why don't you try and pair-up with a travel buddy? in fact i will be driving to "Q" alone as well from San Francisco.

Lol! That thought has occurred to me, too. But I can't think of a better way to die than in my van or RV, doing what I love, where I want to be and all that.

I worked in health care for years and have seen many people die. I have also seen many survive. It is my strong belief that there are worse things than dying. There have been moments when I was more afraid of living.

My only concern is my little dog. I always keep her food and water bowls full, just in case.

Otherwise, since I have no control over it, I don't worry about dying. I do think it will be interesting to see what happens after. Kinda looking forward to that.

A solo fulltimer we met recently, who camps in remote spots a lot, had thought about this a lot. He owns a satellite device which I mentioned down the page a ways in my blog article about him: http://simplegreenliving.com/5164/bandanna-dan/

He also said that it had a feature he liked, that if he broke his leg or something out hinking, he could send out an emergency signal with it.

Lovemy dogs said:
A solo fulltimer we met recently, who camps in remote spots a lot, had thought about this a lot. He owns a satellite device which I mentioned down the page a ways in my blog article about him: http://simplegreenliving.com/5164/bandanna-dan/

He also said that it had a feature he liked, that if he broke his leg or something out hinking, he could send out an emergency signal with it.

A satellite phone is on my solstice gift to me list this year. I'd hesitated to buy one at the $500.00 price tag but I can get a mail in rebate for $250.00 right now. That's an okay price in my mind. The other thing I found when I researched it all is that there are no minute rollover plans available. I can buy a whole years' worth of minutes and not have to worry about using it up every month (like in the winter here).

For others a PLB (personal locator beacon) might suffice (they certainly are less expensive to buy and operate) but I'm just as concerned about the vehicle breaking down 20 miles out beyond cell service as I am about me needing SAR. The satellite phone will allow me to call my road service or a local towing company. Getting them to understand where I am will be the major problem....they don't seem to be using GPS locations yet, they still want a street address....:rolleyes:

For city folk it's not necessary to have anything but a cell phone. Here where I live I can be outside all cell service within a 10 minute drive. I like to go out exploring the back roads, those 2 wheel tracks are only an invitation in my mind to go see where they lead...:)

We all go at some point... Might as well be there as any where.

My main concern if I croak is what will become of my dog?

sushidog said:
Well he'll at least be able to eat for a while. :p

Sorry, that was just wrong.

Chip

I actually thought about that but didn't want to say so. Too sick! :p

My suspicion is that if they ever found a pet locked in a van with a dead body, and evidence that the pet had been eating the body, they would destroy the pet.

So your dying alone like that is a death sentence for your pet.

Regards
John

Dogs don't usually eat their owners. Cats are a different thing

Getting sick? Heck I started out as a solo sick, but then I am 77 years old. I am a bde ( one eye, one leg and half sense ).
Some one will take care of your pets, and as for what kind of mess you make of your surroundings, you will not notice a thing.
Happy trails and if you are out in the middle of nowhere, give your pet a hug as no body else will be able to.

I need a valium, a winning lotto ticket, a full time nanny and a happy meal please, Warren

I went into the urgent care in Quartzite with a swollen leg.  They prescribed water pills and gave me a bill for $90.  I had a deep muscle infection.

I almost lost my leg over that one.  Someone needs to go back to medical school  Just a warning for those that go to Quartzite.

HarmonicaBruce said:
I mean, if I was to have a heart attack in the van, who would know?  I could be in there until I started smelling the place up.

Get yourself a pen pal/text buddy/chat friend that you stay in regular contact with.  Maybe another van dweller.  Someone you trust with your current location that can contact emergency services if they don't hear from you for a day or two.

Up here in Alaska there is a lot of smoke from the many wildfires. Although my life-long asthma has been in good control for many years, this smoke has fired it up a bit and I've had to use my inhaler a few times. Boondocking where I have no cell phone coverage is not without risks. OTOH, what is adventure without some risks?

Stargazer said:
 It is my strong belief that there are worse things than dying. 

Amen! I have seen a lot of ugly. Dying is one thing that no one should fear. Everybody dies, but not many truly live...

The only illness that worried me was explosive diarrhea and uncontrollable vomiting while trying to stealth park in winter. Horrible! Horrible! Horrible!

X

ccbreder said:
Dogs don't usually eat their owners. Cats are a different thing

True. Dogs are part of the clean up crew but they will not eat their owners. Now, if you happen to have a pet pig - that's different.... ;)

Shalom,

Jesse.

P.S. I don't mind where I bite the dust. I'd *rather* do it later than sooner, but since such matters are not within our province, I'm content to let it go.

OK. There are 2 of us humans. Dog will be fine. But that is one reason I think it would be selfish to get a new pet if I  decided to hit the road alone at my age. Dying of thirst or roasting in a closed van with a rotting corpse is not a good way to go. Just my opinion.

If you are just talking about you getting sick, that something different.  A full timing friend  of ours who had cancer solved that by buying a permanent lot in an RV park near his doctors, hospital and other facilities he needed if it came back. He liked the area and has family there, so he spent time there every year, anyway. He can do and go where he wants. But he always has a base to come back to and stay if he needs to. I'm not sure if they would allow him to recoup some expenses by renting it out when he is not there. It's  a year-round  destination.

I couldn't  afford a lot at his resort, but there are other places I could afford. Same with a lot of the retirees, here, with a bit of regular income. If looking at a long term illness, we'd buy a modest lot, rent a modest apartment, or rent a lot at monthly rates until whatever will happen, happens.