Travelers World in San Antonio

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeanontheroad

Reaction score
Nice place. About 3 miles from downtown. Used to have some petty crime, but now has patrolled security at night. Decent prices for weekly, monthly stays. Good TexMex restaurant and bus stop right across the street. Right next door to pretty section of Riverwalk to ride bikes or walk dog. Riverwalk downtown isn't what it used to be 25 years ago. Quaint little shops and bistros are gone. Now, it's all upscale hotels and pricey restaurants. Sad. One visit was more than enough for this trip. Don't need to go again. Made pilgrimage to the SAS Factory - Sacred Temple of Old Lady Shoes - tho, and left with enough goodies to lift my spirits. Now, I have to figure out what to toss to make room. DH refuses to let me store shoes in galley pantry and they would be ruined in outside bins. BAH!!!

Let me know if you would like to know where the good eats are at. I lived/worked there up until last year and would be happy to point them out for you. SA has a lot of eateries that are real gems!

Steven

Steve, I wish I had posted this earlier and could have gotten your advice earlier. The, we could have googled addresses of more good restaurants. We went to the SAS factory and Dick's Last Resort on the Riverwalk and the Alamo and other missions. We found the local CVS and Home Depot and Petco. But that's about all the driving DH was up for without knowing where he was going. We had plenty to keep us busy around the campground, anyway. Without wanting to offend you, I have to say that San Antonio has some of the most confusing traffic patterns, ever, for strangers. Nice, friendly people and patient, helpful cops. But we got lost every time we drove in, even with the GPS.

BTW, I don't know if has been mentioned regarding making money on the road, but one retired guy here at Travelers World works as night security for the place. He's not armed and does not have to confront anyone. He just drives around in a golf cart and reports whatever he sees, on or around the campground, to the police. His mere presence has virtually eliminated the problem of theft and other trouble or around the premises. The bike thieves and the backpacking drug mules just took themselves elsewhere.

no offense taken at all. I'm not a native of SA. it also took me some time to work out what's where.

The GPS took us down a slope that scraped the tow bar safety cables on the way to the campground and we got lost leaving. We have a new rule. Whenever we are near or in a city and have the time, always take dry runs in the car if we can before we try the route with the rig.

I lived there a few months before I purchased my travel trailer. I had become very well acquainted with how notoriously bad the streets are there.

I did have something similar happen to me in Ruidoso, NM (where it's hill country). I twisted my tongue jack as I was pulling out of a supermarket lot onto the street. I was expecting to have to shell out a lot to get it repaired. Luckily I was able to twist it back into place with some help and a replacement wasn't needed.

I prefer not to drive into or to near a city.......done with that life & the people that keep it going......all in a rush to make it 30 feet, and need to charge the big buck to live that way!