Trailer Security

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Florida boondocker

Reaction score
Just wanted to share how i secure my cargo trailer from theft 

Hitch lock: 
Proven locks, slides over tongue and is solid
http://provenlocks.com/products

80962d1470927144-trailer-security-t3.jpg

Camera: I am only a part timer so my trailer stays at my warehouse when not in use
I added a Dome camera mounted in front that plugs into my shop security system
only helps while at my shop
80978d1470927280-trailer-security-t1.jpg

GPS Tracker:
 Added a tracker and i always know where my trailer is
http://gpsandtrack.com/trailer-track-gps/

Nice hitch lock, much more substantial than what I have. Unfortunately if they really want the trailer they will back a tow truck up, wrap the chains around the tongue, lift it and go in a minute. I saw wheel locks for $70 each but unlike a Denver boot, the locks do not keep the tire from being removed. At least the GPS tracker will tell you where whatever is left of the trailer is.

Crossed chains make an excellent backup for trailer owners. That's all you need if you are a thief. To deter a thief take off a wheel.

That's a nice hitch lock! I am thinking along the same lines as Jim when it comes to hitch locks, if they are going to take it, then they'll find a way. If I need a hitch lock, I will prob keep it inexpensive but noticeable (something like pic). My thinking is if I can deter opportunistic thieves, that will be sufficient. That gps unit is pretty nifty though. Definitely worth thinking about.

41071X6CYsL._SY355_.jpg

Attachments

• 41071X6CYsL._SY355_.jpg
    41071X6CYsL._SY355_.jpg
    18.9 KB
I'm really enjoying this thread.

If you had a house battery in the Trailer it could be hooked up to a circuit with a motion detector and then to a pair of these Fiamm 130 db horns mounted out of sight.

23645d1262297335-new-fiamm-horn-install-horn1.jpg

I also wonder if carrying some motion sensing dash cams to set up on the side of a tree (out of sight)
would be worthwhile.   On returning to our site,  you could review the Cam to see who was "curious" while you were away.  

I like the idea of pulling a wheel and leaving a jack stand under the axle.   I can imagine a thick spacer made to
place over the lug bolts where the spacer would be locked on.  Thus thieves couldn't find a spare that would fit, bolt it on,   and haul your Trailer away.   So if they decided to take a hand ax and tear into the trailer to loot it the Dash Cam near by would catch it and the insurance would pursue them.

This is a sketch of the spacer that would cover the wheel's lug studs.  Bicycle locks would be used to hold it  through the blue holes in the image. The
spacer could even be made of hardwood and painted so it may look like it is metal.

wheel_lock.jpg

I'm really liking this thread.  I have been hoping for some ideas about gps tracking devices.  Surely there are some less expensive one out there with their own power source.  I like the idea of having a camera watching  your trailer while you are away.  Looking forward to more good ideas to come.  I like the hitch lock too!

We had the best hitchlock at the time. Marks in the dirt and flatbed truck casing the area says they pulled it to the street and loaded it on a flatbed. We were sleeping about 20 feet away in our mobile home and never heard a thing.

You could use a game camera to watch your trailer while you are away. Obviously nothing will stop a determined thief, but I think most thefts are opportunistic and if they have to spend a half hour getting your trailer ready to two, they'll just take one that's easier to grab.

A tongue lock, motion light, a gps and a game camera to watch while you're away and I think you essentially have your own little version of Fort Knox.

Cry said:
That's a nice hitch lock! I am thinking along the same lines as Jim when it comes to hitch locks, if they are going to take it, then they'll find a way. If I need a hitch lock, I will prob keep it inexpensive but noticeable (something like pic). My thinking is if I can deter opportunistic thieves, that will be sufficient. That gps unit is pretty nifty though. Definitely worth thinking about.

I use this same lock on my boat.  I store it on my family's summer property which has a reputation for boats being stolen over winter and in ten years my boats never been taken.  Don't know if it's the lock, luck, or a combo of the two but it's seems to have worked for me.  Makes me sleep better anyway.  Not that an angle grinder couldn't make short work of it.

With the advent of battery operated grinders and fiber disk blades, no lock is safe. On the gps, if they cover the antenna will a couple layers of aluminium foil and duct tape, will it still work? The GPS device would need to be bullet proof.

eDJ_ said:
I'm really enjoying this thread.

If you had a house battery in the Trailer it could be hooked up to a circuit with a motion detector and then to a pair of these Fiamm 130 db horns mounted out of sight.

23645d1262297335-new-fiamm-horn-install-horn1.jpg

I also wonder if carrying some motion sensing dash cams to set up on the side of a tree (out of sight)
would be worthwhile.   On returning to our site,  you could review the Cam to see who was "curious" while you were away.  

I like the idea of pulling a wheel and leaving a jack stand under the axle.   I can imagine a thick spacer made to
place over the lug bolts where the spacer would be locked on.  Thus thieves couldn't find a spare that would fit, bolt it on,   and haul your Trailer away.   So if they decided to take a hand ax and tear into the trailer to loot it the Dash Cam near by would catch it and the insurance would pursue them.

Many sporting goods stores, and online stores, sell game cameras that work well, and are weather proof, unlike dashcams. Some include antitheft features.

Cry said:

My brother had one he lost the keys to.  One hit from a sledge cracked the cast metal casing.  The Sheriff next door showed him this trick.  I was going to drill out the lock.

In addition to some of the ideas already mentioned here, I am toying with the idea of removing the trailer wire and replacing it with an identical 7 way receptacle like is on my truck, then making up a wire with plugs on both ends to tie the two together.  My theory is, if someone is driving away with it, if the brake lights and turn signals on the trailer don't work, it's more likely any cop who sees it will pull them over.  I'm hoping that will discourage them from trying to take it.

The reality is if they want it, they will get it. Since security systems are wireless now, maybe the best would be a alarm that would notify you if something was going on.

I think it is possible to use a cell phone as a cheap GPS locator. I have always removed the tires when parked and kept them in the back of the truck. I guess you could unbolt the coupler and safety chains as well, but anybody can rent a rollback.

Some GPS units can be set up to text or email you when the vehicle/trailer moves. So if you get an alert that it's moving, you know it was just stolen and call the police with current location.

Last company I worked for, had all their cars and equipment GPS'd. He had it set up to get an alert when an expensive piece of machinery moved and an alert set up anytime one of his vehicles went over 75mph. The cars were more geared towards making sure the employees drove them safely and equipment was to monitor it to prevent it from being stolen or at least recover it if it was.

Latest posts