Trailer, Breakdown , Towing

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hologram8

Reaction score
What happens if you are pulling a trailer and you break down and have to call AAA ?
Does your trailer get left by the side of the road or can they tow that also ?

I have Good Sam towing service, which caters to RVs. With the appropriate plan, they will tow both vehicles (and to separate locations if necessary). The answer is in their FAQ below.

I suggest getting a multi-year plan at initial signup. When it's time for renewal, they not give you the big discount that they initially offered.

https://www.goodsamroadside.com/faq...,nearest capable professional service center.

AAA has this plan (called Plus RV) that includes RV towing up to150 miles. I think it is $120 a year or thereabouts. Fees vary slightly by state. Call them and find out the exact rate

Back in the days before smart phones, I guess these plans made sense for some people.

But today, you really dont need a 'middle man' or triple AAA or Good Sam or anyone else to get ahold of a tow truck for you. Just use your smartphone and google 'tow trucks (or roadside service) near me'...when you call them, tell them where you are, what you need, and ask about what the cost will be.

I've used 'roadside assistance' during a warranty on a touring motorcycle one time for a blown tire and the ENTIRE experience was a joke. But if its included in the warranty on a new vehicle or RV, then sure, use it if you need to.

Unfortunately the 'customer service agent' in the middle of the transaction is the problem most of the time.

I do all the repairs myself and would never allow someone else to work on my rig.

I don't need a tow either, I carry the parts to get my trailer going again.

Last edited:
^^^ Make and model of your rig and trailer. I’ll just buy one like them and follow you around! Lol!!

I've used CoachNet for the 9 years I've been a full-timer. Had a tow of my van and trailer a few years ago that would have cost $700. Only cost me a $20 tip to the driver.

What was your total outlay for that 9 years of CoachNet membership? Assuming $150 to $250 a year, that one towing benefit may have cost you around $1800 over that 9 years.

Our policy is less than $100 a year. We have had it for 20 years. It covered 4 tows of over $700 while living remotely and two service calls in town that would have been $50 or so. In the long run we saved about $900 but the piece of mind a large emergency fund gives self disciplined people which we were not at the time would have been better in my opinion. This only paid off because of the remote living (200 mile plus tows) and the fact we drove older more likely to break vehicles so a special case for us.

No doubt that in certain situations it's probably a good idea to have that peace of mind.

But I have to wonder if these companies will keep renewing your plan if you actually need their help more than once or twice a year. Or will they cancel you, raise your rates, or purposely provide lousy service hoping you will just 'go away'.

After all, they need to make a profit too!

No doubt that in certain situations it's probably a good idea to have that peace of mind.

But I have to wonder if these companies will keep renewing your plan if you actually need their help more than once or twice a year. Or will they cancel you, raise your rates, or purposely provide lousy service hoping you will just 'go away'.

After all, they need to make a profit too!
AAA does limit the number of tows you can have in a year. If you run over, they will still tow you, but you gotta pay. IIRC, the limit is 3 or 4 per year. Also, IME, they won't raise your rate based on the number of tows you've had in the previous year.

AAA covers 4 service calls a year. It could be a tire chance, a tow, battery service, run out of gas, keys locked in car, etc.

You can use all 4 calls a year, every year, with no penalties. It costs me under $140/yr for myself and two daughters, and it gives me peace of mind when my girls are out and not with me. The service is with the card holders, not the vehicle. So if they are out with a friend and need help, they can use their service if needed.

Being handy and having spare parts to fix everything is good. But not everyone has those skills.

Sometimes it seems to be that answers are more about letting people know how capable you are than they are. When advice is asked for, maybe it would help to tailor the answers to what their circumstances and capabilities are instead of explaining how you handle it with your different set of circumstances and capabilities. Just saying.

And that situation sounds like it is worth the peace of mind for you and the family having a membership with AAA. Which is exactly what I said...in certain situations it does make sense, and the peace of mind is worth it.

Serious problems with a vehicle can't usually be fixed at the side of the road. Even some simple issues like running out of gas or a key that gets locked inside can be a real problem. And elderly or disabled RVers might not even be able to change a tire, much less a dual tire. So those services do offer a valuable service to people that need or want the peace of mind.

But these days, with smartphones, you can often get search results tailored to your specific situation right by the side of the road, and make a call or two, and get help on the way, sometimes better, and quicker, that what will be provided on a contract basis thru the roadside assistance plans. Yes, you will pay full price, but if you only need that kind of assistance once every 5 or 10 years, it might make financial sense for someone to do it that way.

We all make decisions based on our particular set of circumstances.

Last edited:
You really never know whan someone's apparently irrelevant comment might be exactly what you need to solve your problem, or stave off a disaster. And besides, other people are reading the thread too and if it doesn't work for the OP it might work for someone else.

That's a very small bit of messiness to tolerate, in exchange for keeping the net cast wide for useful answers. I know there have been times (can't remember if it ever happened to me on this forum, but definitely elsewhere) where I was muttering to myself "you dolt! that's obviously not what I ... oh wait ... hey that might work."

You never know.

What was your total outlay for that 9 years of CoachNet membership? Assuming $150 to $250 a year, that one towing benefit may have cost you around $1800 over that 9 years.
First of all, I didn't say it was the only time I used it. Secondly, I didn't have the money at that time to pay for the tow. Third, it makes me feel better to have it.

Always best to call an agent and ask. Be sure you also download a complete copy of the policy that covers all situations they provide service for in your specific plan. Not everyone buys the exact same coverage so you can get inappropriate advice in forums that does not match your specific policy. That can lead to some major frustrations.

First of all, I didn't say it was the only time I used it.

No but you DID say:

"Only cost me a $20 tip to the driver."

So, for full disclosure, we should talk about the other costs involved....because the total cost was a lot more than $20. I'm not doubting that it's the plan you want for the amount you want to pay.

But the OP should get the overall picture of the costs and benefits involved with a roadside assistance plan, since they are asking about roadside assistance benefits, and the thread is also on topic with the costs involved.