TPMS

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rvgrandma

Reaction score
I am getting new tires on my Class A Friday. I hope to be able to afford TPMS soon but can't right now. I have read about them, that one type of valve stem works better but can't remember. Are the rubber or metal stems better when using TPMS? I think it is rubber but want to be sure. 

Charlotte

copied from a google search:

Do TPMS require special valve stems?
No, you do not need special valve stems, but you do need commonly available metal valve stems. The added weight of the sensor on a rubber valve stem could cause problems that will be avoided by using metal valve stems.

I had my new tires mounted with the xshort rubber valve stems. I bought Tymate system from Amazon. It was the least expensive. It has worked with my B250 going on 3 years. I did change the batteries once. https://www.amazon.com/Tymate-Tire-...tor+system&qid=1631729627&s=automotive&sr=1-3

Added edit; I tried to use metal valve stems, but they would not seal properly on my 1987 15" rims. So I went with xshort stems. I haven't had any problems.

Yes, I also check my tires with a gauge on maintenance day. But my TPMS saved my ass when it reported a low pressure caused by a road hazard 1/2 way to destination. I was able to get the tire properly repaired and saved the tire and possibly did not suffer a blow out at high speed. Best $80 I have spent on the van.