Toyota Tacozilla

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr.GruntyPants

Reaction score
Nice, but impractical for life on the road without some serious modification. Far too much seating is an excessive waste of space. Nearly NO STORAGE! That hunk of a table has got to go. I don't think I saw a ceiling fan. I'm guessing like most RVs there is no insulation in the walls. Nice that Toyota is trying to get into the camper van market, but I'd take a Dolphin over this thing. And Tacozilla? Seriously...

https://pressroom.toyota.com/toyota...oma-camper-overlanding-rig-at-2021-sema-show/

What makes in impractical? Seating is not just seating but also a lot of storage. Appears to be similar to a small van but is a 4x4 with a shower, sink and stove. Table is removable. Definitely expensive i am sure compared to a custom Van.

I basically use my 4Runner for my off road adventures and if it had more head room a shower and kitchen I would be set. lol There is a huge 4Runner & Tacoma (Taco) market for off-roading. Not a fan of the name ether.

Last edited:
The couches look uncomfortable and useless. The shower/bathroom looks great! The name is dumb. Where do you mount solar panels? I wonder why they went with an extended cab instead of a single cab to have more living space.

Love it! I want one. Thanks for posting, Ripper.

The only thing wrong that jumps out at me is that you can't just get up and walk from the driver's seat into the back. That's a big deal to me.
But this is a huge improvement over the old Toyota Class Cs, which were way top heavy and under-wheeled and tired.

Johnny

The couches look uncomfortable and useless. The shower/bathroom looks great! The name is dumb. Where do you mount solar panels? I wonder why they went with an extended cab instead of a single cab to have more living space.

Apparently it has a duel battery set up. So running the vehicle will recharge them. Many in the off road community prefer solar panels that can be placed where the sun is rather than just mounted on the roof. Though some have mounted them to the hood. lol

Love it! I want one. Thanks for posting, Ripper.

The only thing wrong that jumps out at me is that you can't just get up and walk from the driver's seat into the back. That's a big deal to me.
But this is a huge improvement over the old Toyota Class Cs, which were way top heavy and under-wheeled and tired.

Johnny

Yeah, you have to crawl. It appears they did extended cab for extra room for the back or storage.

Nice having everything atop a capable vehicle as far as getting almost anywhere you want to go. I used to have a 4wd Nissan Truck with a Flip Pack camper on top of the bed. It folded out into a big tent-like structure with a cab over sleeping area with a mattress and the back area was tall enough to stand up in. We kept camping gear in a tool box in the bed ready to go and used an ice chest and Coleman stove for our kitchen needs. Cooked on the tailgate of the truck which served as a table. We were used to backpacking camping back then so it seemed luxurious at the time. The great thing was the capability to take old mining roads and jeep trails into areas that were very remote, and impossible to get to in normal vehicles, and then have a comfortable camping experience. I'd like to see a review of someone actually using this Taco truck in that fashion to see how well the design holds up.

I saw one of the old Toyota rigs on the road today! On I-10 west in Florida. This new version seems ok. But I wouldn't want that sun roof in hot weather.

No plans for Toyota to go into production. But a TRD package with lockers would be sweet... and prolly $100K. Plus, that name.... yuk.
Amazing how many of those old Chinooks are still on the road.

Attachments

• chinook.jpg
    chinook.jpg
    172.9 KB · Views: 3
They are still on the road ...but they are often needing lots of TLC in the living area.