Tips for Cutting Your Own Hair?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
signman said:
Any one else had any experience with a Flo-Be, hair cutting outfit that uses a vacuum cleaner ?
My 1 time use, it tangled and pulled and got stuck in my hair, very bad experience. Could have done better with a dull hatchet.    Duane

As a stylist I've not used it, but I've corrected LOTS of those cuts! Haha ?

TrainChaser said:
Oh, just ask some woman in camp to do it for you.  TIP:  go with the woman who is quietly confident, and NOT the eager one with the evil grin.

It just so happens that I'm borderline "quietly" confident, but also have an evil grin. Does that count? Hehe

anewbiewannabe said:
Speaking of longer hair, anyone have tips for cutting longer hair off a few inches in a nomad situation? Especially for someone who can't keep her arms up for a long period?

You can put it in a pony tail then trim the ends. How high, or low will depend on how short you want it.

Solitary Spell said:
Suanne, someone I met recently said she does the same thing. Question: it looks like the model in this photo series cut the hair perfectly straight and then points the scissors directly into the end and snips for the layering? Is that what you do?? Thanks for the post!

You would cut it straight across first, and then "point cut"as you see in the pic. This just breaks up the weight at the ends, and adds texture.

Headache said:
Since this seems to be something people would like access to I'll bring my kit with me when I come down to AZ if I have room.  A very long time ago I went to cosmetology school and I still occasionally color and perm as well but I don't see that being remotely convenient to do in the desert.  I DO NOT have a license so charging a price would be a jerk move on my part but am open to gifts, bartering and other types of cheap horsetrading if you are satisfied with your cut.  I would be particularly interested in meeting those who can do simple and durable braiding as I can't keep my arms up long enough to do good tight braids.

My "specialty" is long hair because I can trim it without taking off 10" of your locks(unless your split ends are so bad your ends look like steel wool, we'll talk) however I can do short cuts without it looking like I used a bowl.  All cuts will be basic layers, trims and such just to keep it fair.  Anything specialty or if you have particularly difficult whorls and cowlicks I recommend you go into town.  I haven't competed, cut on a regular basis nor kept up with the latest do's for almost 40 years.

Sorry to my Leatherneck and other military partners in crime but high and tights and other forms of buzz cuts just weren't my thing.  Although I have used electric clippers they aggravate my wrists so it just wasn't something I got into perfecting and probably best that I avoid.

Why did I quit beauty school?  I wasn't much of a gossip, I wasn't excited by the latest Cyndi Lauper hair and realized I preferred driving big trucks.

As far as tips the most important ones are:

Eat an optimally nutritional diet and drink lots of water(stay hydrated).  Your hair is one of the many ways your body gets rid of "trash".  The healthier you eat the healthier your scalp is and the stronger your hair grows.  This makes cutting it so much easier and if you just go au natural it looks so much better.

Keep your hair in a manner that keeps your SCALP clean and healthy.  You can't imagine how many people have developed infections on their scalp because they didn't make themselves aware of how their scalp needed to be cared for.  Some people are able to go without shampooing(lucky them) others can't.  Only you are able to determine how to best care for your scalp and hair and that's done through experimentation and paying attention to yourself.

You MUST stay on top of split ends!  If you don't the split keeps traveling up the hair shaft until it breaks.  Sometimes it's as simple as sitting down and trimming off a few splits as they occur.  If you stay ahead of split ends you can extend how long it will be until your next cut and your do will still look decent as it grows out.

FYI. I can braid.

I've cut my own long hair for years. At first, I just did Cirque de Salon while contorting my shoulders to cut behind me. But now, I just tip my head down, pull all of my hair up and over so it hangs over the top of my head and down the front, get it bunched right, and cut. Once I finish the big part, I stand back up and trim the back and my bangs a bit as needed. It layers my hair but also just makes my hair cuts easy.

Poopie: "Eat an optimally nutritional diet and drink lots of water(stay hydrated). Your hair is one of the many ways your body gets rid of 'trash'."

That's very good advice. The next time you see a junkie, take a look at their hair. The woman who lives behind me has two junkie daughters (in their 20s). Both are blondes with 'dreadlocks' (really, just dog mats in white people), and their hair makes me cringe. People who smoke also seem to have poor, dull hair. You are what you ingest, good or bad.

SIGH!

My problem is when I get to Yellowstone, I wonder where I can cut my hair? I wear my hair very short as it changed a lot when it grew back from undergoing chemotherapy a while back. I'm a breast cancer survivor. I could have probably let my hair grow out but I like it short. I'm a low-maintenance kind of gal.   :D

Guess I'm gonna have to do some searching. :huh:

VanGrrl57 :)

If you have curly hair, you may want to dye your hair red. It would look elegant and stylish.