Tie rod fix on 2001 workhorse cost?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Calypso

Reaction score
I have one tie rod that is broke and needs fixing. I was quoted $1050 for parts and $550 for labor.
Does that sound in the ballpark?
(I’m in Alaska, so all our prices are inflated, and price of parts include shipping… or at least they tack that on a shipping charge and claim it “overhead” or whatever. )

I’m sort of stuck but just curious how I should be feeling as I bend over.

Changing one tie rod? There are four tie rod ends on your van. Two on the left, two on the right. Part number ES409L and ES409R, there are two of each. $20 each, so $80 if you just do all four, which isn't a bad idea since if one is worn out, the other three aren't far behind. I would change all of them while you're under there since you'll have to get an alignment anytime you change a steering component. Tie rods are super easy to change, don't even need to remove tires to do it. If nothing is rusted or seized too bad, they can all be changed in an hour or two.

Mechanics love money, I could understand $550 labor for two hours of work, I hope that includes alignment! But over $1000 for one tie rod?!? Even with AK inflated prices, you're being robbed. Bend over really far, find a different mechanic, or I'll even ship you one!

51511392843_13caa1f68f_c.jpg

I did mine last year on the side of the road. Tie rod is the shiny rod center screen. Remove cotter pins and the two nuts, smack rod with a hammer to remove tie rod, install is reverse without the hammer.

I like how simple a lot of things actually can be to fix. There's always an intimidation factor for lack of experience or mechanical ability. It's amazing what you can do with some decent tools and a Haynes/Chiltons manual.

i had a 98 Bounder had some 24 fittings. more on drive shaft.
PS Mill suppli has lots parts for p30- & p32 chassis.& workhorse

I guess it was the center bar too. I guess the steering was messed up and the center bar bent.
Idk .. dudes just freaked out on me when I asked. Freaking emotional mechanic. Cussing and throwing a tantrum.
So went “above him”. It’s a strange situation .. don’t ask.

All Tie rod, connections, center bar, drag link and it will be aligned and I’ll be given all packing lists/receipts of parts.

Shipping is $400 of that price. YEP.

At first they did not clarify what it was all for, when I did, mechanic dude went all idk. Know he wouldn’t of talked like that to a man. His “boss” said I won’t be having any other troubles from him.

I’m not sure where they ordered from.. he just did it without checking first. Boss man is on it, and it’ll get worked out in “other ways” so he’ll make it right in the future. Y’all don’t understand the way things go in some of these circles here. It’s backwoods, and there’s this crazy “currency” of future make it rights and I owe them a favor, or you owe me one, or this makes up for … blah blah. Well, maybe you do get it. It’s strange.

I could of tried to of done it myself, but I’ll honestly pay a bit more money so I don’t end up spending 3 days on my back in the dirty wet muddy snow with tipping freezing temps and limited light out in some random lot of nothingness surrounded by homeless camps and drug dens. Not to mention the frustration and I’d probably of missed something.

This is yet another lesson.. now on my list is to find a real mechanic shop that understands and will work on these types of trucks, which may be difficult.

rockauto.com...

I get all my parts through them They have instructions too.

Cheers.

The center bar that goes from tire to tire is called the center link. They are like $100. Even easier to replace than the tie rods since there is no adjusting. It's unfortunate, but it's true, most mechanics will take advantage of you. With a few basic tools, you should be able to replace a center link no problem. The best way to learn about these things is to do it. You do make a good point about the cold wet ground though. WWGD? (What would grandmother do)

The center bar that goes from tire to tire is called the center link. They are like $100. Even easier to replace than the tie rods since there is no adjusting. It's unfortunate, but it's true, most mechanics will take advantage of you. With a few basic tools, you should be able to replace a center link no problem. The best way to learn about these things is to do it. You do make a good point about the cold wet ground though. WWGD? (What would grandmother do)

Now you listen here you two!
I have done quite a few auto fixes.. some pretty involved. But but but… it was indoors and in a shop full of tools, like every tool and , and , and … I mean, come on.
“Me sorry, G’ma Daisy… me fix it next time, no let big bad man yell at me no more.”

Someone had to pull the WWGD card! Oh boy, I bet your grandma was quite the lady. I'm sure she would have put me to shame! Still can't get over how awesome her journey was back in the day in that journal. True pioneers...

I would absolutely LOVE to read G'ma Daisy's journal! She does indeed sound like quite the lady!

As a note on replacing the tie rod ends. The easiest way I have found to make sure they are the right length is to measure the tie rod before and after the job is done. The trick is to make sure the reassembled Tie Rod assembly is the same over all length, at least than the steering will be close to what is was before. A standard tape measure will work.