Thoughts

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gertie

Reaction score
I am still looking for a van I can afford, they are expensive in this area, Texas. I'm planning to meet up with the GalVanNation group in Florida next month and will
have to use my car.....a 2005 Chevy Trailblazer. My first trip! :) I have two dogs. I am hoping to trade in the car toward a van so don't want to totally or permanently change too much. Would greatly appreciate any advice on how to make this trip enjoyable for all three of us. Since the vehicle is small I figure it will have to be bare minimum but still there are things that need to go.......just not sure what. Any advice, suggestions? (underline "my first trip"!!)

You might sit down and put together a list of things you use on a daily basis in your normal routine. If some of those things can't come long then what alternative can you use that can? How are you going to substitute home utilities for camping in your vehicle? How are you going to preserve your cold food? How are you going to heat food and water? Do you have everything your pets need? Do you have all the ability to cleanup after them if they get car sick in the vehicle? leashes and vaccine paperwork for them too along with any specific food you might not find OTR. How cold is it going to be and do you have enough warm clothing and blankets? Do you have backups to important things - remember, "2 is one, and 1 is none", do you have extra fluids for your vehicle? An extra serpentine belt, hose tape, hose clamps, a tire runflat can for emergencies (don't use it otherwise), funnels, paper towels, a road kit, and air gauge? Do you know how to use your spare tire change tools? is your spare aired and in good condition? battery charger? Triple A? It's good to have. Meds, extra glasses, tool kit, extra phone and charger, batteries, flashlight, TP, a roll of quarters for meters and laundromat? Personal and vehicle docs, insurance cards, how are you going to do personal hygiene everyday? Remember, 95% of the time, cash or credit cards and a bottle of water will fix about anything...

Good Luck!

Cheers