Thinking of trying out van living

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dreamrunnerjt

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I took a long road trip last year and found I really liked the freedom. I am considering doing some van living for a few years once I retire . One thing I have been looking at is buying is a box van from uhaul, or ryder the best looking option is Penske. The thing is, all of the Penske seem to have translucent roofs. Has anyone converted a box van with a translucent roof? I would think I would have to do something for added strength for the solar panels, fans/vents etc.

I recommend you avoid the translucent fiberglass roof. Some of these box-vans will have a partially translucent roof, (one or two panels) that's ok, but a full fiberglass roof will eventually need to be replaced depending on it's age.

If you get a good deal on a box-van that is otherwise a good choice but comes with a fiberglass roof, and you are up to the task of replacing with an aluminum sheet roof, then that might be an option for you.

You could add more fiberglass layers on the original roof and then top that with an elastameric coating for UV protection. The fiberglass mat and resin is Ok for DIY if you have the patience for such things. But you do need to first plan out the roof vents and support for any solar and add in some reinforcing before you install them. Good to have input on these things before you make a purchase.

Last edited:
Look for leaks around the corners and seams too. Lots of older fiberglass roofs have them.

Welcome!