Things that go bump in the night

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Netter

Reaction score
When one thinks of scary spooky sounds, you think of a fog encrusted forest or cemetery. 
But does the desert get spooky? With such an expansive open space, what can hide out there to be scary or create spooky sounds? Does the mind create just false alarms? Are there desert ghosts? Spirits of lost, crazed sand dwellers? :s

The desert is much scarier than a fog blanketed forest. Every plant is out to get you with thorns, spines, or toxic chemicals. Desert animals are out to bite or sting you. Coyotes sing their eery songs in the darkness of night and buros broadcast their foghorn hee-haw right next to your camper in the wee hours of the morning. Scariest of all are the desert nomads who watch you from a distance, laying in wait for you to trip up and present yourself as a vulnerable victim.

Are you really asking that? a scary thing for me is I forgot to pick up coffee creamer, rolling papers, gasoline and whiskey.

"the only thing we have to fear' is fear itself." FDR

words to live by. highdesertranger

Mr Stills once said "Paranoia strikes deep...Into your life it will creep...It starts when you're always afraid...You step out of line, the man come and take you away" I remember those times and I refuse to live like that but the song was pretty good.

The spookiest sound is the one from the engine compartment that shows up an hour's drive past the "Last Chance for 250 Miles" sign.

Hugemoth neglected or forgot to add a serious tongue in cheek smile to his post.

The desert isn't really scary at night at all. You have some serious star gazing available if you want to stay up late. Your neighbors are much further away (usually) than in the urban areas and they are better neighbors (again usually).

The dangers from all the cacti is during the day unless you sleepwalk... :D 

The coyotes howling is a wonderful sound no matter how far or close they are from your campsite...they're talking amongst themselves about where to find food. You are NOT on their menu so just listen quietly while they sing.

In 3 winters in the Sonoran desert I've yet to have a burro wander through my campsite...found  burro poop when I check out my area but never had the actual animal come to greet me. I've had elk wander through my campsite in northern Canada but no burros in the desert... :(

Insecure people who create problems for themselves and others are the real dangers. Happy to help someone who knows what they are doing but made a mistake, but it's dangerous and a pain to answer a call at night from someone that makes a life threatening call that turns out to be a scorpion sting.

Scary, for me, is having to overnight in a more populated area. Humans are way more frightening than any 4 legged creature that might come into my campsite after dark. And I enjoy the sounds of nature.

Almost There said:
The coyotes howling is a wonderful sound no matter how far or close they are from your campsite...they're talking amongst themselves about where to find food. You are NOT on their menu so just listen quietly while they sing.

The first time you hear them you will have a WTF moment. You may not be on the menu but your pooch or kitty might be...

cyndi said:
Scary, for me, is having to overnight in a more populated area. Humans are way more frightening than any 4 legged creature that might come into my campsite after dark. And I enjoy the sounds of nature.
Well said cyndi .
And yet, having had to spent too much of life alone, I also enjoy the company of precious 2-legged friends...