The perfect cargo trailer

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
True, its just about finding one that works for what each person wants or needs.

I rode, a lot, in the late 70s/80s, and got out of it when I got a dog and moved from Az to the northern Rockies. I was seriously injured and disabled about 7 years ago and cant do much of the stuff I love in the mountains, no long hikes, few short ones, cant lift much, etc, carrying serious bear rifles or thinking about shooting them isnt happening with the bad shoulder. I became interested in bikes a couple years ago again and its something i can do in short bits thats outside, and once i get the sidecar, I can take the dog. It beats walking the dog in a city park or local civilized forest preserves and parks. Im also caring for an elderly parent in the midwest. The bike and sidecar are good distractions, and have future positive potential once Im on my own again, to get back out to the west/southwest full time and explore, be outside with the dog, see some interesting country, and see old friends, some of which are still into bikes. Ill figure it out, this is the learning process. As usual, if I cant find what I want or need, Ill make it.

I also have an 82 fxs basket case that Ill be going through and getting back together, and dreaming about finding another (affordable) knuckle or pan as a project bike. The 84 with sidecar is the one Id be travelling with though, so I need to figure out what I can make work for that.

I have a dog also, and what I ended up doing was buying an e-bike and small pet trailer that she can ride in behind me, she loves it.

Yep. It does not go down the road at 60 mph or sound like a Harley. But it lets us enjoy something together, AND we both get some exercise. I pedal and also use the motor, extending the distance and the speed that we can go, and I will let her run alongside me for a short distance, on a safe and un-used road or trail, maybe a third of a mile or so, which she loves to do. 

This rig DOES easily fit in the back of my pickup, and also lets me do some local exploring and make a short grocery run if I'm within 5 miles or so of a store. 

It's what works for me, I hope you find your solution also.

My perfect cargo trailer 1) All aluminum, except torsion axle and hitch. 2) Is 78" inside height clearance, I'm 6'3. 3) 78' x 144" single 3500# axle. 4) Order with a side RV door and screen. 5) V-nose and flat roof (for 3 solar panels.) 6) 0rder with a 15" x 18" hatch for 5000Btu AC unit. 7) Fold down ramp in back because I put in an inner wall and the ramp now becomes my deck where I can step outside bare foot in the evenings. And then I insulate, build out walls, kitchen, fold up bed, fold down table, etc.

That sounds exactly like what I need. I am tall also. Have you found your trailer?

TMooney said:
If you were going to pick the perfect size cargo trailer what would that be and why?
2003, we converted a 1997 Ford CF8000 commercial truck to our concept of an ExpeditionVehicle.
2010, we converted a tandem commercial gooseneck trailer to our concept of an expedition trailer toy-hauler.
Reasons:
* massive cargo capacity
* commercial rated 'million-mile' chassis
* commercial off-the-shelf (COTS) parts
* interior --- three paces across by nine paces long
* massive poop-deck
* I added a 120-gallon diesel tank to supplement the 190-gallons in the rig... giving a range of approximately Anchorage-to-Acapulco.

TMooney said:
If you were going to pick the perfect size cargo trailer what would that be and why?
If you have the space, mark off the size you think you want in your current dwelling. Set it up the way you want it in the actual trailer. It may let you figure out the right length.

TMooney said:
Our 1997 Ford CF8000 ExpeditionVehicle interior is three paces across by seven paces long -- 7 x 12.
The toy-hauler I built has an interior of three paces across by nine paces long -- 7 x 16.

After nearly two decades full-time live-aboard, this's adequate for us.

We evolved into this combo for one simple reason:
* we quit them tuba lessons, and took-up harmonica