The Maglite Billy Club

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Livelys

Reaction score
We heard a bump in the night last week and I got up and went outside to check it out. Nothing as usual. I have guns but I never take them with me on such occasions. I always take my 6 D Cell Mag Lite. It's a great self defense tool. You can point the light in someone's eye while letting the rest of the flashlight lay on your shoulder. Just like the police do. At anytime if trouble happens you have a serious club at the ready. It looks casual too. Nobody seems to be alarmed when you walk around at night with a 19 1/2 inch flashlight on your shoulder but it is a tool that can quickly become a fierce weapon. Everyone should have one.

Good idea. I like any weapon that wouldn't quickly be construed as a weapon. I used to train with a yawara stick wrapped in barbed wire. I wouldn't be caught dead with that thing now.

They are called "tactical flashlights". But the question is do you know the most effective way to use one? If you are going to spend money on a weapon then know how to use it and to keep the other party from taking it away from you and using it on you.

You don't need a billy club flashlight. Watch this self defense video on flashlight use from "Black Belt Magazine".

Resized_20190803_090732.jpg

I'm old and weak and someone could grab a big flashlight out of my hand very easily.  And then use it on me.  I carry my flashlight in my left hand and this drywall knife in my right hand. If someone tried to grab the knife out of my hand, his hand would be shredded in a heartbeat. This cost under $10 at Home Despot.

I don't worry about it being a weapon. I'm a frail lady and my safety outweighs the risk of carrying a knife just outside the door of my rig. 
Ted

Attachments

• Resized_20190803_090732.jpg
    Resized_20190803_090732.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 11
I have had mine for about 30 years also. I just saw a LED conversion lightbulb on amazon that I ordered. I'm 6'4" and about 250 lbs so I might have an advantage using this as a weapon. My wife has the pistol and has proven to be a reliable backup if I need one so after weighing all of that I find it best to check things out at night with just this flashlight as my defense. I started using this type of flashlight when I had a job as a security guard for an oil rig in West Texas where they wouldn't allow us to carry a firearm. I needed something to protect myself because the folks stealing oil rig machinery were a very dangerous lot. A minimum wage job with high risks. Young and dumb.

Most can grip the C sized light better! The weakness is the tail caps pop off when you hit someone pretty hard.

LED is an easy conversion for these lights.

SD

Maglite billy club club?

cool to use anything ya got as a weapon when needed
light in eyes and fastest tough swing to the temple will do the trick nicely :)
I like it

I have carried a knife on my person practically everyday of my life since 4 or 5yo. I prefer to keep my light small and in my pocket at all times. I'd rather a belt holster for my light but I havent found one I like. And I'm too lazy to put forth the effort to research a good one.

Security guards have known about maglites for ages for sure.
Somewhere I have an extending baton i found new in box in a used car I bought once.

The Livelys said:
..... I just saw a LED conversion lightbulb on amazon that I ordered. 

Please come back and leave a review after you get the LED conversion. I've been wanting one of those myself.