The Less You Know, the More You Will Pay

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeanmarie

Reaction score
Lots of threads on here with people talking about how much the life style costs and what kind of emergency fund may be needed. Just an observation, but the less electrical or mechanical skills you have, the more you are going to pay for other people to fix things. If you can't change your own oil or replace your own burned out headlight or find the short in your own electrical system, you are going to have to pay someone else to do it. A budget that might be adequate for a handy person is going to be completely inadequate for someone who can barely change the batteries in a flashlight. While people are saving and planning for hitting the road, getting some training and experience in basic maintenance would be a good idea. The less you know, the simpler you should keep your systems.

Then again maybe you know things the people who do repairs don't know and you can work a trade. Sometimes even being a great cook is knowledge that can get improvements and repairs done. Or maybe you know how to repair computers, or do upholstery work, or create websites or make videos.

The world has run on trading skills for cash and skills for other skills throughout human history.

The problem with barter is finding a match; e.g. finding a transmission repairman the needs a computer repaired.
Dollars are fungible.

Barter. Trade. Don't count on it. Most people want money for their work. That is why they are working in the first place. It is highly unlikely that you will find someone who can fix your furnace or trouble shoot your solar who just happens to have a broken computer or a website that needs maintenance or a need for new couch covers, or who just needs a good meal.

You may get lucky on some rare occasion, but money does make the world go 'round. The less you can do for yourself, the more you will need of it to pay someone else.

very good post.

the more you can do for yourself the better you are in not handing out tons of money from your wallet :)

but it is limited. People can learn to do XYZ and save a bit. Learn ABC and save a bit but a lot of times you will be at the mercy of a monster bill for something. You can't cure your own medical situations most of the times, you can help yourself with small things like colds and such, but you aren't curing your own pneumonia or broken leg any time soon.
You can't fix those computer shutdowns in vehicles nowadays. An old vehicle one could work on, these newer vehicles aren't the same monster with needing computer diagnostics and all.

but I sure agree, anything you can do to save yourself some bucks is a great money saver....no doubt about it.

Trading/bartering skills, foods, etc was SO BACK in the day mostly. Life isn't that way anymore. Sure you can find limited situations to do trading and more, but not much. I would rely more on myself then finding a trade to match with someone.

Well if you need something fixed you can just provide your skill to someone else, get paid and then pay for your repair.

Working, getting paid and paying for services isn't much different than bartering. There are just 3 parties involved and you are trading money instead. I'm pretty sure that was part of the appeal when we started using currency. :)

Yeah currency is not a bad thing.    I can imagine having to carry 347 chickens into Best Buy to trade for a new laptop.   It would be...messy.

jeanmarie I agree. in fact I can't even imagine how people do it without at least the knowledge of how to fix stuff. highdesertranger

Once in a while someone here will ask whether they should get a more expensive newer van or a less expensive older van, and someone will usually say to get the older one because you save money up front and can make any repairs as needed, or to get the older one because it's simpler to work on. And some of those who say that resist the idea some people (most people?) have neither the knowledge nor tools to fix anything. But that's the reality. That's why mechanics and electricians and plumbers exist.

And sometimes someone will ask what tools they should carry with them. Well, I think if you know how to repair your rig you know which tools you'll likely need, and if you don't know how to repair your rig the tools are doing you no good.

But, yes, the more you know how to do, the less you pay. That's true of almost everything in life.

Yes. DH can fix darned near anything. If he can't fix it, he can understand what the repairman is telling him. Not me. If I were left a widow, I would immediately sell this big class A with all its complicated systems and get something much smaller and simpler. Then, I would double my monthly deposit into my maintenance-and-repair fund. It's not just that I lack the skill to do what he can do. I am also physically weaker and hampered by arthritis. If I face reality, I could not expect to maintain my current level of ease and comfort without him.

jeanmarie said:
DH can fix darned near anything... Not me. If I were left a widow...

You could have him start teaching you now.

I understand that most people can't do some of the cool things that I have accomplished in my life, but I am overly mechanical minded (I am a autoparts prototype engineer for a top 100 company). I usually fix all of my own vehicles, and refurbish/remodel my own home with little help.

For the life of me, I haven't figured out why a disabled, elderly, couch potato gets the idea that they want to leave their comfortable S&B to live a mobile life depending on an old, rickety van with no emergency fund...sounds risky to me, but maybe HOPING for good luck ?

ckelly78z said:
For the life of me, I haven't figured out why a disabled, elderly, couch potato gets the idea that they want to leave their comfortable S&B to live a mobile life depending on an old, rickety van with no emergency fund...

Sometimes it's their only choice.

Maybe. But from what I have seen and the people I have met, it is more often the result of people (especially women) leaving a more or less adequate situation because they are lonely and bored to death, and desperate for some spice in their lives. Then, they find out that the lifestyle is harder than they expected, but they can't afford to go back and are trapped living in their car or van.

For a lot of us, it's the only choice. I work two jobs - full time in an office and at a grocery store on weekends - but don't make enough to have an apartment. I just barely make enough to rent a room somewhere, and i got tired of having to find a new place with little notice every 9 months because the people I rented from decided to move. This way I have a place of my OWN, plus I can go anywhere and have my home with me.

being at the mercy of others stinks. we all sure know that one

Lack of skill and physical challenges are two different things.  Of course, with  physical limitations you would need to arrange for assistance and pay a mechanic so a larger reserve fund is wise.  Mechanical objects tend to fail prematurely and unexpectedly way more from neglected maintenance than anything else.   If you can keep up with  fluids and simple things, you'll minimize breakage and expense.  The best way to learn is to just do it.  DH should be showing you how to do the basic checks, fluid levels, head light, clean and water batteries, air the tires, etc.  Sure, it might be out of comfort zone and many things are best left to a pro, but lots of smaller things you can learn.  Use your networking and knowledge from your local circle of friends.  It works like this... if you approach a mechanically inclined friend and ask them assume your burden to fix everything for you they might not be so enthusiastic, but most good folks would be happy to help by showing you how to fix it yourself...   Explain that you're learning and simply ask them to walk you through it...   You might be pleasantly surprised to discover you are capable of more than you think, plus there is also a sense of pride and self-confidence that comes with doing it yourself.

You can lead a horse to the water but you can't make it drink.

People resist learning how to do something they truly don't want to do and there is nothing you can say or do to change that.

If someone truly wants to learn how to do something they will find a way to make it happen.

However I am very fond of the ambivalent personalities, the ones who say...OK whatever. They are so much easier to get along with.

As an old Industrial Arts/Vocational teacher I was very critical of our schools for not teaching our kids basic skills needed in everyday life and for many years thought it would be the end of our way of life but low and behold the internet and Youtube come about and fill the need. Now if we can just figure out who is telling the correct information maybe we will survive!