The $1000 mark

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't know what we put in. Likely 220 since that already set up for washer dryer. Lifes pretty easy. I enjoy waking up without a worry in the world. Except cooking up ribs for superbowl party and Sonoran ribeyes a bit later.
That's what I'm talking about! Here is my ribs and home made milanesas!...Loved the meat in San Luis Mexico so much cheaper and soooo good! way better then here for sure! I want to put a 110 split in my rig off batteries ..i'd use half the power my 8000 BTU wall one uses

Attachments

• IMG_20200202_091932351.jpg
    IMG_20200202_091932351.jpg
    109.7 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_20200202_091938895_BURST000_COVER_TOP.jpg
    IMG_20200202_091938895_BURST000_COVER_TOP.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_20200202_153258152.jpg
    IMG_20200202_153258152.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 1
In my searching around the net and reading about different people's experiences, a $1000/month for costs is often a watermark for doable or not. This includes Youtube channels and blogs about van life, car life and content about retiring abroad. I suspect it has something to do with amounts people often see for social security as well as other reasons.

I'm aware the amount of "doable" costs can change ie. the recent increase in Medicare for those over 65. Recently, everyone's gotten pinched by inflation and we're in a strange period of inflated vehicle prices often used for van life.

My question though is how many people out there already doing van life can say that it's "doable" at a $1,000 month and how do you make that work?
I've been doing it for 10 years. Living in a travel trailer. Fortunately I have enough savings that I bought the RV with cash, and I have cash to pay for my off grid projects. i e, solar and all its requirements, propane radiant heater, skirting and so forth. I do it by rarely spending income on anything not a necessity. Scratch off card phone for $20/month, internet on my tablet for $35/month. I even have a cat that I buy good, expensive food for. Plus litter, flea med etc. So its doable!

I was doing on about $800 per month that I get from SSI, you just have to watch every cent you spend. I am back in a sticks and bricks because of health reasons and selling my RV but if I could I would be right back out there.
I can relate to having to get back to home base, after a fall from a bike, and that caused enough aggravation for a hip replacement... but being out there is good for the mind and soul... even better with no drama from others.

In my searching around the net and reading about different people's experiences, a $1000/month for costs is often a watermark for doable or not. This includes Youtube channels and blogs about van life, car life and content about retiring abroad. I suspect it has something to do with amounts people often see for social security as well as other reasons.

I'm aware the amount of "doable" costs can change ie. the recent increase in Medicare for those over 65. Recently, everyone's gotten pinched by inflation and we're in a strange period of inflated vehicle prices often used for van life.

My question though is how many people out there already doing van life can say that it's "doable" at a $1,000 month and how do you make that work?
SO I live on SSA of 980 a month..not much but more then many I know..This is HOW I DO IT.. I have a permanent spot in my R V park which is $700 a year for 7 months so that cuts down on the moving/gas/repairs stuff...It's a no electricity park so invested on solar over the last 3 years so can run A/C all day on solar no problem..I try not to drive too much since that seems to be the biggest expense for many and do ALL my own mechanic work etc on my vehicles and RV...You tube and I will soon marry! I didn't know anything about anything regarding RV, mechanics and assorted stuff BUT I AM willing to look like a fool and do quite often to learn and do stuff on my own...when things were a bit too tight I moved to Mexico.... Rocky point and there I went all over the place on my electric bike so no gas at all, Rent at RV parks range from #375-$900 a month so I put a add in local paper and a Mexican family rented a lot to me with full hook ups and electricity with large safe walled compound for $175..was offered 3 different lots so not too hard to find if one is willing to look and take a chance, food was at least 50-70 % cheaper and surprise surprise gas or diesel was $3.65 a gallon when it was $5.75 here in AZ.

I like comfort and to be relaxed to I have a 30 year old 30 foot 5' er and a van that I made into a camper van with electricity solar etc etc at one point I had traded a old motorcycle for a trailer a 22 foot 5er and then sold that for 1300 dollars and then got it back for free so now I have a 30 foot 5'er, a 22 foot 5'er and a camping van all fixed by Mr Youtube and me!

The key is to be willing to go at it outside of the norm and the well worn path that many have done before...I try to supplement my income by moving RV's for folks with my truck or driving them somewhere..others do on line stuff to make a living while traveling etc etc...as my dad used to say there is more then one way to skin a cat lol I try to follow that ...although to be clear I have never skinned a cat! lol

There are plenty of ways for people to make supplemental money. The biggest problem I see is maintaining your health at least well enough to do easy seasonal jobs and save for when you can’t. Living in a van or RV requires you be healthy enough to at least take care of minor problems or have enough savings/resources to get it done. Many have just barely survived long enough to learn the skills and then prosper enough to build up resources. You need to work towards finding those methods/skills that improve your living conditions enough to be content with what you have then learn to save for when the unexpected happens. Paying it forward and working with programs like Escapee’s Care Center, Homes On Wheels and other groups allows you to build relationships that can be lifelong resources. $1,000 a month can’t begin to be as important as good friends when you need them. There are a lot of friendly helpful people here thankfully.

SO I live on SSA of 980 a month..not much but more then many I know..This is HOW I DO IT.. I have a permanent spot in my R V park which is $700 a year for 7 months so that cuts down on the moving/gas/repairs stuff...It's a no electricity park so invested on solar over the last 3 years so can run A/C all day on solar no problem..I try not to drive too much since that seems to be the biggest expense for many and do ALL my own mechanic work etc on my vehicles and RV...You tube and I will soon marry! I didn't know anything about anything regarding RV, mechanics and assorted stuff BUT I AM willing to look like a fool and do quite often to learn and do stuff on my own...when things were a bit too tight I moved to Mexico.... Rocky point and there I went all over the place on my electric bike so no gas at all, Rent at RV parks range from #375-$900 a month so I put a add in local paper and a Mexican family rented a lot to me with full hook ups and electricity with large safe walled compound for $175..was offered 3 different lots so not too hard to find if one is willing to look and take a chance, food was at least 50-70 % cheaper and surprise surprise gas or diesel was $3.65 a gallon when it was $5.75 here in AZ.

I like comfort and to be relaxed to I have a 30 year old 30 foot 5' er and a van that I made into a camper van with electricity solar etc etc at one point I had traded a old motorcycle for a trailer a 22 foot 5er and then sold that for 1300 dollars and then got it back for free so now I have a 30 foot 5'er, a 22 foot 5'er and a camping van all fixed by Mr Youtube and me!

The key is to be willing to go at it outside of the norm and the well worn path that many have done before...I try to supplement my income by moving RV's for folks with my truck or driving them somewhere..others do on line stuff to make a living while traveling etc etc...as my dad used to say there is more then one way to skin a cat lol I try to follow that ...although to be clear I have never skinned a cat! lol
Thank you very much for sharing your 'breaking out to the other side" LOL While I have done a similar journey, I have not yet made it to Mexico and would like to at least during a snowy winter. Best ~

Last edited by a moderator:
I think Frodo is right. There are two very different components to van dwelling. Living, and Traveling. Traveling is not just gas and maintenance. It's being in unfamiliar places where everything takes longer and you don't know where the deals are, whether that deal is good parking or an excellent thrift store or a gas station with a free hose or someone next door who'd trade eggs for dog walking. You don't know or constantly have to adjust your systems - is this place way hotter than where I was? How do I handle six rainy days in a row? Incessant mosquitoes or black flies requiring a whole new screen system, who knew. That's part of the excitement of a portable life, but unless you want to live on the edge of instability, it's also an added cost.

[tx2 mod edit: removed self-quote formatting]

Last edited by a moderator:
How do I handle six rainy days in a row? Incessant mosquitoes or black flies requiring a whole new screen system, who knew.
It shouldn't take long to get this wired. Rain and bugs can be avoided in the west. Rain is easy, just look at climate data. Bugs are a little tougher to avoid in the spring, but it can be done. The shopping, people, cops, internet, etc... that can be assessed pretty well too, by checking online. It's easier than ever.

"There are two very different components to van dwelling. Living, and Traveling."

Oh boy is this spot on... Traveling in expensive and layers on a whole set of issues that go beyond "Living In" ... As much as I want to travel, my budget doesn't allow it. I have been moving with the weather and hope that this can count for my traveling.

Van life is super flexible. Some people do a lot less, some do a lot more. I'm pretty early into it and averaging about $1,200. I could go down to $600. $400 goes to the campground site which I plan on solving by volunteer campground hosting which pays for a site and hookups. The remaining $200 would have to come out of my eating out costs, though I might decide to be fine with that :p