That word "stealth"

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 36441

Reaction score
I've lived in my van for 16 years, not for adventure but out of necessity. When I park on the street at night, I'm just like every other vanner; I try to hide the fact that I'm sleeping in my vehicle. So the word "stealth" is completely appropriate for the activity.
I wish we could find some other word, though. "Stealth" has such negative connotations. I guess I'm just venting a frustration.
How about "discreet" parking? 😀

It is all subjective. You are doing what you do, living and therefore sleeping in a van. If you are doing it legally in a place where it is allowed and don’t infringe on others rights there is nothing negative about it, call it anything you like. Stealth is only viewed in a negative light in my opinion when it is used to avoid being fined or arrested for illegal activities. In many cases it is just your conscience making you feel it has a negative connotation. How about “unobtrusive parking”.

Some alternatives

Blended parking
Urban camouflage parking
Considerately unobtrusive parking
Peek-a-boo parking
Sneaky parking
Nothing to see here parking
One of these things looks just like the others parking
Neighborhood watch mobile division parking

I'm unaware of negative connotations with the word stealth... Now sneaky, sly, covert, clandestine, or furtive all have negative connotations.

Stealth urban camping, from what I've seen, seems to try to follow the same ideology of responsible wilderness campers. "Take nothing but pictures. Leave nothing but footprints." If everyone camping in the city followed this principle then there wouldn't be any issues or crack-downs on urban campers.

A few ruin it for the rest.

A rose by any other name. What others call it doesn't matter. Not everything in your life needs to be public information. You can be a private person that only gives personal info on a need to know basis. There is no such thing as just curious. There is always a motive behind wanting info. Personally I often give misinformation. When meeting people they want to know how can you benefit them. Sometimes it is like filling out a loan application. What do you do for a living, own or rent, what zip code do you live in, Tell them you are a mechanic and they will want free vehicle inspection and diagnosis. Sometimes I say I am a janitor, now go clean your own damn place.

I don't know on this one how others feel on it but I love the word stealth :) To me it shows cunning and strength and survivability and independence when applied to van life.

I just don't think of stealth as sneaky but yea I get it, my second thought is stealth for sneaking and spying on other countries and all that 'war bad' stuff and more.....so yea I see it but I put more thought directly on the first before that second issue comes to mind for me.

Maybe INVISIBLE is a better world. Wanna be invisible, one can still do that :)

A mouse is sneaky.

A large wild cat is stealthy.

You can be a zebra. Which is what most try to be. That would be smart. By nature.

"Where are good spots to zebra camp in x city?"

Attachments

• lion-dressed-as-zebra.jpg
    lion-dressed-as-zebra.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 0
I would suggest chameleon camping.

Attachments

• 3921299152_30d405b57e_b.jpg
    3921299152_30d405b57e_b.jpg
    292.1 KB · Views: 0
  • chameleon_three_horned_chameleon.jpg
    chameleon_three_horned_chameleon.jpg
    226.4 KB · Views: 0
  • 5d1138839c510120533196c4.jpeg
    5d1138839c510120533196c4.jpeg
    124.4 KB · Views: 0
You wouldn't mind the world if you were prey, or if you were in the military. In both cases, it's a case of life, or injury or death.

If we start changing the name of things, it make searching for information that much more complex. If someone heard the term "stealth camping" and wanted to find out more, they probably won't be looking for urban, chameleon, sneaky, free, or whatever. We have done enough in the way of de-racing, de-gendering, de-whatevering already. More than enough.