thanks from newbie

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnandbrenda

Reaction score
Just registered after reading blog posts for more than a year. We are in process of remodeling a lightweight truck camper. We know our truck's payload and towing capabilities and are considering a smaller lightweight tandem trailer. Question is:

If you have lived in a van/truck with and without a trailer, I'd like to hear some feedback about the advantages and disadvantages of both.

John

Welcome to the site.
Glad to see you come out of the shadows :D

Many people like having a utility trailer for their extra stuff.
When I was in a van or camper truck it was always about the minimal.
Now, in an RV, its still that way. Only way I'd tow a trailer is if it was paying for itself....ie: loaded with money making inventory.

Others will have their own opinions.

A couple questions to clarify: Will the trailer be for storage or for living? By tandem, do you mean tandem axle? What size?

I've lived in both and the pros and cons are pretty obvious, the trailer give you a LOT more room and comfort but it costs you a lot of mobility and freedom.

The bigger the trailer the greater the loss of freedom so I bought the smallest I thought I could live in a 6x10 cargo trailer. It does reasonably well in the backcountry but breaking camp is still a pain and turning it around is hard. Driving down a narrow country road and see something you want to photograph or explore? Turning a trailer around can be very difficult so you just skip it. Want to go down a rough road to see the campsite at the end? Better walk it first so you don't end up backing out for miles on bad, narrow, winding road.

But all that is pretty obvious, what you want to know is it worth the loss. And no one can answer that but you. I tried to compromise by getting a small trailer and towing it with the van. Most of the winter I move very little so loss of freedom is no big deal because I get all the comfort. Then in the summer I put the trailer in storage and travel in the van and get all the freedom a van offers.

That's a compromise that works for me.
Bob