Thaiger Van - 97 Ford E150

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ken in Anaheim said:

Maybe, I'll have to check the bolt pattern on it. That one is meant for captains seats not the stock seat. I was going to replace the seats until I figured out the price and changed my  mind. I can live with the stock seats!

And wouldn't you know it, I can't just run out the door with a tape measure. The van went to the shop today for body work and mechanical check-up...sigh! I've bookmarked the site and will check when the van comes back.

Check craigs list, I've bought lots of seats on there for between $30 and $100.  I've also gotten bases on the list for as little as $15.  My current seat cost $40, full captains seat with both arms and swivel mount in good shape.  True my passenger seat and driver seat don't match, but then does it really matter?

Corky

corky52 said:
Check craigs list, I've bought lots of seats on there for between $30 and $100.  I've also gotten bases on the list for as little as $15.  My current seat cost $40, full captains seat with both arms and swivel mount in good shape.  True my passenger seat and driver seat don't match, but then does it really matter?

Corky

Matters to me... :)

Actually, it wasn't the chair that was bothering me, it's the color I'm not fond of. I'll probably end up making seat covers that coordinate with the rest of the van once it's done.

The only other reason I'd like captains seats is because they have 2 armrests - silly stock seats only have one!

Craigslist for my local area redirected me to SF area. I'm in Ontario Canada.... :rolleyes: :D and Kijiji returned no results to a search. Converting vans isn't very popular up here mostly because of the cost. Most of my stuff has to be done on a cross border shopping trip. Good thing I know my way around Elkhart IN!!

AT - so it sounds like it's finally melting up there since your van is in the shop. I'm happy for you but I'll miss all your posts once you start getting busy on your van. Can't wait to see it decked out though!

Sorry OP for this off the topic comment.

gypsychic said:
AT - so it sounds like it's finally melting up there since your van is in the shop. I'm happy for you but I'll miss all your posts once you start getting busy on your van. Can't wait to see it decked out though!

Sorry OP for this off the topic comment.

I had it all cleared off thanks to a some days of serious melting. And then I opened the drapes the other day to a very white winter wonderland again... :mad:

3" of snow on top of freezing rain... :(

It took me a half hour of comedy routine today to get the van ready to roll. I had a power cord run through the drivers' window to power the battery tender/shop vac/heater as needed. The window was frozen shut. I ended up chipping ice off the outside while applying heat to the inside by hooking up the heater and setting it on the drivers seat aimed at the window. Driving with 20' of electric cord up the road just didn't seem like a good thing... :D

My favorite repair guy has a full page of 12 font type of things to do with it... :rolleyes:

AND I found a deal on the tires I want - almost $200.00 cheaper than my regular tire shop.  I like when things come in under budget!!

hi Thaiger, your story sounds similar to mine but you got out of here before me. i still have a month of baking to live through.

i like that van, looks like a good deal. how many miles?

189k but runs pretty strong.
Only known problems are small leak in filler hose to gas tank and the knock sensor has triggered the service engine light.

Almost There, Check out local auto wreckers. I found some nice seats with swivels for forty bucks at Pick n Pull...

When I was redoing my GMC motorhome, I picked up some conversion van swivel seat bases at the pick and pull that also had a lever and base plate that you could pop the seat out completely without using tools. I adapted it to two brand new take-out leather honda odyssey van seats I got from a wheelchair conversion place in Phoenix. Adapting the seats was easy. Two 1/4" thick, 1" wide metal strips from Homeowner Depot cut to fit, some holes and was off to the races. I'll try to find the pics, as it was years ago.

Off Grid 24/7 said:
"For a house battery, I would just pick up a Minn-kota trolling motor power center.  It is a battery box that already has accessory outlets mounted in it.  Then you just add a deep cycle battery.  To charge it you can simply use a cigarette lighter to cigarette lighter jumper cable to charge it while driving."

Wow, that is seriously cool!  I'm adding that to my Amazon shopping cart tonight!  

To the OP.  Great looking project van!  I do hope you'll keep posting pictures of the build.  

6 months in and the Van Life is now pretty natural.
Have not changed much with the van. Added deep cycle battery wired to main, 400w inverter, tinted vent shades on the front windows, and a swing out mount for my single burner Coleman stove. Also picked up a 12v charger for my laptop.

Have fulltime job that provides shower and locker. I keep my backup hard drive and passport and other small valuables there.

Contiplating adding 100w solar kit but stealth and theft concerns have kept it at the maybe stage (as well as $$)

Hot as heck here in SoCal :)

T

Attachments

• IMG_20150907_140929.jpg
    IMG_20150907_140929.jpg
    326.1 KB