Testing Waters

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OnTheWay

Reaction score
{ Old lady fills out registration form, clicks on confirmation email, then tumbles into forum... SPLAT! }

Hello there!

Intro:  Amid an evolving plan to downsize into a smaller house with fewer possessions, hence researching the art of getting into a more minimalist mindset, I happened across a Kindle book on Van Dwelling.  It looked like an entertaining read so I bought it.  But then I couldn't put it down.  A couple of hours later, I found myself doing that far away stare at the wall people do when they're really thinking hard about something.  Downsizing to a smaller house... still repairs... still expensive utilities... still stuck. 

I have a minivan.  I've never kept the seats in it, but I've never pictured a cot in it either.  A day or two later, just for fun, I stuck one in there just to see if I could fathom sleeping in it.  Yup.  So fast forwarding a month, without making any changes to the vehicle, I've outfitted it so it sleeps, it cooks, it shelters and it's a bathroom for one person.  To test it out I went to a campground for 4 days, just to see how it felt to live out of, and sleep in, a minivan.  I got a remote campsite all by itself so I could really get the feel of it.  It works.  10 days later, with a lot less stuff than originally included, I went back there again for another stay.  Now, without the kitchen sink along, it was easier.  So next, before our New England weather becomes too unfriendly, I want to try my hand at a mobile trip.  So I'm planning a touring type jaunt into northern Maine where I won't have the security of being docked in a campground, but instead, nomading with as little pre-planning as possible other than general route.  It'll likely involve some stealth parking and cooking in odd places (let alone finding a shower) simply because campgrounds will be closing, but I just want to know if being that unattached to a plan or the security blanket of known docking points feels okay. 

So rank newbie.  I don't know where it goes from here, but I'm way less attracted to downsizing into a landlocked stationery dwelling than I was 2 months ago. Enough so that I spent a services-for-barter store credit on a portable, folding travel spinning wheel because mine isn't built for travel and I don't think this will be the end of it.  Any other lone traveling women who have any advice about stealth parking overnight (in a minivan that does not look like a plumber's truck)... I'd sure appreciate tips.  That's the only thing that makes me a tad nervous.

First, welcome!

Second, wow! Just love the way you saw something that clicked with you and gave it a go, so impressive.

Glad you tumbled in...Welcome :)
Sounds like you are getting dialed in pretty well. 

The stealth thing is quickly learned and a minivan usually works very well. They blend right in at a 24 hour store or about anywhere. You'll get the hang of it easily.

This lifestyle isn't for everyone, but for some its very addictive.

Welcome to the CRVL forums OnTheWay! What a great introduction! I smiled the entire way through your post. I wish more people had the time, money and ability to slowly test this way of life as you are doing. It takes a bit of experience to see what will work for each person's style of vehicle dwelling.

24 hour stores are the easiest overnight parking spots but you should be okay on the street too. Try near apartment complexes.

To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips & Tricks" post lists some helpful information to get you started. We look forward to hearing more from you.

Welcome to the forums.

I'm no help at all with stealth parking - my van sticks out really well everywhere I park it... :D

I make no attempt to stealth, I just choose places where it's okay to be instead...much less stressful for me.

Other than that, I qualify as a more mature..ahem...single female who would rather be on the road than anywhere else!

Welcome Ontheway.

I love your writing style. I too had a big smile reading your post.

My husband and I only part time now a days. We have a van and go on trips for a few weeks now and again. I also go on trips by myself. One of these I took was in the New England area for 3 weeks. I really enjoyed it but I found that it was very difficult to stealth in the northeast as oppose to, let say the southwest. So if you can manage it on the New England area you can manage it every where.

Also it might be good to keep in mind that it's not an all or nothing situation. A combination of your minivan and a small inexpensive condo somewhere might be a possibility too. There are several way to achieve freedom.

All the best to you.

Nicole

Wow!  What a nice welcome to come home to from a bunch of errands on a hot day with both shoulders hurting and my back screaming "get me horizontal for ten freaking minutes!"  Thank you ALL for the kind words and encouragements!

I actually do have some far-off-grid mostly solo-living experience (40 years ago when we still used encyclopedias and pay phones).  That had some brutal times, but some of the best in the world too.  And as for camping, I bought a horse when I turned 63 (don't ask how that happened because I still don't know) and did some horse camping, so while that's very different, I do have some gear from it.  And lastly, I did take the beastie to Indiana, which was definitely living out of a truck (old scary-running beater Chevy) and horse trailer (even older beater) but that also means I'm not new to peeing in a bucket or sleeping in weird places.  So I'm not new to getting out there, just doing it this way.  I think the main thing is, until I bought that book, I thought all that adventuring was over and it was time to start acting my age and feeling racey if wearing purple.  Now it's not over, it's feeling more like, "here we go again."  If that happens, the age is still an inconvenience so I'm just going to need to do it smarter.

On another thread in this Newbie section, I saw another 73-year-old woman's youtube video linked, and clicked on it.  LOVE her!  And the other women that she brought into it too.  So that was super encouraging too.  (There. Are. Others!  Squeeeeeeeeee!)

Ilovemyvan, A small condo here, and part time nomading is definitely something I'm thinking of.

And AlmostThere, one of the vehicles I've been flirting with (still haven't seen any in person) is just the one you have -- a 2002 or thereabouts, Savannah.  Do your side windows open?  I got very carried away with the stealth aspects of a standard roofed, windowless white van at first, but then looked at a couple in a used parking lot and realized I think I'd need side windows at least on one side; most definitely would want to able to stand up in it, and if going that far, then extended length would make sense too.  And if any of those windows opened, then Mecca.

Meanwhile, 24-hour convenience stores for stealthing in a minivan -- one question I've never understood about that:  Aren't most of them small enough to have wee little parking lots where they'd plainly see your vehicle just sitting there?  And super well lit because they're so small and where everyone pulling in and out would be so close that you'd be awake all night?  Maybe that's mostly the ones around here.  (New England is smallish in many ways.)  But regarding that, Ilovemyvan, you said you had trouble stealth parking here.  Was that why?  I'd be happy to dock in a campground each night, but they WILL be closing after Columbus Day (that's when I could go.)  So hotel parking lots maybe??  Or do they patrol those.

I will definitely look at Tips N Tricks that rvwandering linked, thank you so much!

I'm sooo glad to have found this forum, thanks to BW when I emailed to ask him some questions, and to all of you for the very warm welcomes.

Welcome, maybe, to an interesting way to live. I am in the final stages of moving into my van (bigger, more stuff, but way smaller and way less expensive than a "land-locked" stationary sticks and bricks building!) May I suggest, although it's a long way, that you attend the RTR this coming January (info under "Gatherings" on home page). I did that last year, and it is what decided me on the following: I could do this, despite being 'unhandy'; the people I met are a diverse group who are in the main helpful, informative, and interesting; the western US holds a vast network of 'dispersed camping' areas where one can be alone or with others in beautiful surroundings. Bob's a pioneer in this way of living and believes in it wholeheartedly and he is an unabashed proselytizer for the van life; to that end he has been holding these gatherings for some years now where there are seminars and gatherings to help the new folks and offer a wide variety of opportunities to learn techniques to make it easier for everyone-an information exchange of the highest order.
Whatever you decide, welcome.

Sorry about not being more clear on the 24 hour stores. Convenience store parking lots are too small but Walmarts or 24 hour grocery stores lots are plenty large enough and no one will give you a second glance.

Hi Hoodoo--

I've been trying to figure a way to do just that (RTR) because those seminars look outstanding.  And meeting others who are full-timing (and part-timing) in the VanDwelling style.  Unfortunately RTR falls right in the middle of a work deadline and the ONLY way I'd be able to do it is if I could spend about 10 hours, maybe more, guilt-free (meaning 100% non-imposingly), hard wired to a high speed modem AND electricity.  The computer all my work software is on is an older laptop that lost its wireless capability.  If such a thing were to be "fail safe available," then that would change everything and I might be able to go to it.  I haven't checked with libraries yet, but it seems to me they'd want you to rely on wireless and that most likely their actual internet source box (to which I'd need to hardwire with Ethernet cable) is not in a public area.

rvwandering said:
Sorry about not being more clear on the 24 hour stores. Convenience store parking lots are too small but Walmarts or 24 hour grocery stores lots are plenty large enough and no one will give you a second glance.

Ohhhh!!  <smacking hand on forehead>  Thank you!  I will see if there are any of those up there.  We don't have 24-hour supermarkets where I am (the part about New England being small and asleep from 10pm-5am) so I didn't think of that, but maybe they do somewhere near where I'd be.  I don't know Maine at all.

Welcome aboard On The Way...

I'm uptah Maine now , oh ayuh ! :cool:
I have seen lots of people stealth camping in cars , jeeps , vans and even not so stealthy in RVs like me !
There are lots of places to park here . What part of the great northeast are you coming from ?
Tell me your approximate route and I might have some suggestions for spots.
Of course , the longer you wait , the colder it will be ...........

OnTheWay said:
Hi Hoodoo--

I've been trying to figure a way to do just that (RTR) because those seminars look outstanding.  And meeting others who are full-timing (and part-timing) in the VanDwelling style.  Unfortunately RTR falls right in the middle of a work deadline and the ONLY way I'd be able to do it is if I could spend about 10 hours, maybe more, guilt-free (meaning 100% non-imposingly), hard wired to a high speed modem AND electricity.  The computer all my work software is on is an older laptop that lost its wireless capability.  If such a thing were to be "fail safe available," then that would change everything and I might be able to go to it.  I haven't checked with libraries yet, but it seems to me they'd want you to rely on wireless and that most likely their actual internet source box (to which I'd need to hardwire with Ethernet cable) is not in a public area.

Greetings and Welcome!

You can get a little WIFI dongle that will plug into a USB port for about $20, to restore your WIFI service.  It works all on it's own, so it will work for you.

I prefer to park near large apartment complexes where there is a lot of overflow parking on the street near by.  This has always worked very well for me, and is always pretty easy to find.

welcome OnTheWay. I was going to let you know about how to get wifi back on your computer like Off Grid said, that's one way there is also a card you can get from the mobile phone carriers, that will let you use their network(for a fee of course) to access the internet. this is more secure than wifi and also more reliable in the boonies. I have seen this work before and was impressed. anyhoo welcome again and good luck. highdesertranger

Hey OntheWay!

The way you are going about testing it out has often been recommended for those wondering about the lifestyle. Your adventurous background would make me think this is going to be great for you.

I was going to mention places like Walmart -- you can find one on the Walmart site by location and then call the store or stores yo have in mind. Just confirm that they allow overnight parking. With the lights and at least a bit of traffic noise, these are not ideal --- but if you want a one-night place that is easy to roll into and not have worries about being hassled, it can be just fine.

Don't know if there are Cracker Barrell restaurants up in Maine, but you can usually get permission to overnight in their lot, too. Travel centers like truck stops (Pilot, Flying J, etc.) almost never have a problem with an overnighter. These are usually the noisiest places to stay because of trucks coming and going at all hours.

But, even if you are visiting urban areas, don't forget to check on nearby state parks, city parks, etc. that may allow camping. And a site that is always recommended is:

http://freecampsites.net/#!Maine&query=region

Free Campsites.net can be used for any state. I searched Maine and found that the map shows several places free or cheap -- so the link above should take you right to the Maine map. Click a green triangle and see what others have to say about the particular camp.

You may want to check in with the state's tourism office and ask about campgrounds that are cheap or free, too.

You can see with all of these options, you likely won't find yourself stranded with no place to park. Would a UPS type store where you can rent computer time work for your project? I'm guessing you could talk to them about connecting up and how much it might cost to do your work. I have not yet been to Quartzite so maybe others can tell you if such places exist there.

rvpopeye said:
Welcome aboard On The Way...

I'm uptah Maine now , oh ayuh ! :cool:
I have seen lots of people stealth camping in cars , jeeps , vans and <snip> ... Tell me your approximate route and I might have some suggestions  for spots.
A Mainer!  Thanks for chiming in.  I'm in So. NH near I-93.  So I'm now actually wondering if this route would even make sense in mid-Oct. because I was conceiving of it in early Aug. when Bar Harbor campgrounds were open so I could dock there for a couple of days but otherwise I planned on ambling along speed and just sleeping when and where it made sense.  Overall though, I WAS thinking Freeport, Bar Harbor, then to Baxter State Forest (hear it's gorgeous but the only town I see anywhere near it is Millinocket (?) and otherwise it appears on the map to be reeee-mote!)  But from there to N. Conway in NH, and then from there I'd be visiting someone in Hanover, NH and then back home.  So Freeport was one place where I'd have maybe wanted to stealth sleep and possibly somewhere near Baxter St. Forest and possibly somewhere near N. Conway also.

Off Grid 24/7 said:
 Greetings and Welcome!

You can get a little WIFI dongle that will plug into a USB port for about $20, to restore your WIFI service.  It works all on it's own, so it will work for you.

I prefer to park near large apartment complexes where there is a lot of overflow parking on the street near by.  This has always worked very well for me, and is always pretty easy to find.

Thanks Off Grid, we tried the dongle at Staples and it didn't work.  A guy at Comcast Tech Support said that, then, indicated to him the problem was in Windows software and I'd have to wipe out and reinstall everything from Windows on up.  Given the nature of some of my software (all Win7), that's not overly feasible so I've been putting up with hardwiring via ethernet/modem since I rarely take laptop out of house.  Or at least up to now haven't.  It's complicated.

highdesertranger said:
welcome OnTheWay.  I was going to let you know about how to get wifi back on your computer like Off Grid said,  that's one way there is also a card you can get from the mobile phone carriers,  that will let you use their network(for a fee of course) to access the internet.  this is more secure than wifi and also more reliable in the boonies.   I have seen this work before and was impressed.  anyhoo welcome again and good luck.  highdesertranger

That I did not know about.  I will look into that, but I suspect it might require my Win7 to cooperate with the same traits that have to do with wifi (a glitch within) but I could look into it. Thanks for mentioning that though.

Oh, I am SO going to print out your entire post!  Thank you for all that.  I did NOT know about Cracker Barrel, and I did not fully explore freecampsites because the time I cruised through it, on the particular area I checked (my own) there were a lot of park-and-ride with "unconfirmed" cautions and at least the one near me would not be in any way feasible.  That was likely an unfair impression.  Bearing in mind, for the last 2 months I've been doing soo much reading that some info has started rattling around in my brain like beebees in a box car -- some get lost in the shuffle.

Off Grid 24/7 said:

I have what's probably a dumb question about street parking but of all the stealth park possibilities, it appeals to me most (assuming nice quiet neighborhood of course).  Most roads have a pretty strong slope/grade downward on their sides so the rain drains into gutters.  That would mean that the right side of a parked car is lower.  Due to the width of my vehicle, I can only sleep in it lengthwise.  I do use leveling blocks already on my cot (uneven floor believe it or not) but so how would I level the far right side of my cot (which is against the right wall) further -- to a correct amount based on any given road's particular slope -- when parked? 

(Picturing):  Minivan pulls up near apt complex, parallel parks. Lady gets out, walks around and opens right back door. Shoves leveling block under something inside (front right leg of cot), gets back in van, swears a lot (while muscling another one in from under cot's left side INTO almost unreachable far side under center u-bar) and then gets back out.  Now she opens back hatch door, removes 2 stacked crates, shoves another leveling block in under something (back leg of cot), then climbs back into van and all doors are closed.  We see van jiggle around (getting into bed, discovering it's still not level) and then we hear an explosive "expletive deleted" from within.  She now gets back out with 3 more leveling blocks...

It seems that would need to happen somehow but sort of maybe could blow my cover?  lol.  Seriously, how do you do that part?