Tax Free States & Residency

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Toulouse

Reaction score
I am a newbie .....I looked through all of the forum topics and so hope this forum topic is the right spot for my post 

I am a camper van person and not yet full-time but I am VERY interested in changing my address to a state with no state/local taxes.   I see the popular ones like FL, AZ & SD and the companies that offer mail services for full timers in these states.   I currently have a lot of family in New England which would make getting licenses renewed and registrations etc.   Due to proximity to family I would like to have a state like NH as my home address but have not seen any mail services for this state.   

Can someone offer my any insight as to why this is and how to get a "legal" address in NH if nobody operates a mail service there.   Thanks in advance!!

State income taxes are only an issue if you make above a certain level annually. And I don't think any state taxes Social Security (if you happen to be receiving that.)

IMHO South Dakota is the best place, fast drivers license,voter registation, no class no test concealed weapon permit, low insurance rates, 6% sales tax, a very good mail forwarding service & no state tax. Google it as there are lots of sites.

How often do you have to go back to south dakota to update arrangements?

MrNoodly said:
State income taxes are only an issue if you make above a certain level annually. And I don't think any state taxes Social Security (if you happen to be receiving that.)
The are currently 12 states that do tax SS.

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk

geogentry said:
The are currently 12 states that do tax SS.

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk

No matter what state you are in self employment taxes will bite ya.

Why not just use a family members address and get them to forward any important mail? When I can get back on the road, the son and DIL will open all mail and contact me if any needs my immediate attention and the rest gets thrown away (I don't get much mail anymore). I will be gone about 10 mos. a year only coming home for the holidays. This was our original plan.

RVTravel said:
How often do you have to go back to south dakota to update arrangements?

You can renew registration by mail. Driver licenses are good for five years. Renewal (on your birthday, regardless of when you first got their license) is either in person, or by mail, or online. The last two require extra documentation, paperwork and a notary. If your birthday is in the frozen months you might not want to go there then. However, you can renew up to six months before expiration.

I didn't find out about renewing early until SD was already under snow. For me it was easier, more pleasant and closer to switch my residency to Arizona.

There are 13 states that have some tax on SS payments. Here is quote from Motley Fool. "That said, just because you live in one of these states doesn't automatically mean you'll pay taxes on your benefits. Most states, in fact, offer some form of exemption that lets you off the hook depending on your income."