Tapering into the Nomad lifestyle

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TXNomad

Reaction score
Growing up, my Dad took me camping and fishing quite often. We always had a truck camper, tent or travel trailer. Quite often, I would inhabit the truck camper over Summer break and live like it was my own apartment...at age 15 or so! My parents were hard working people, and I picked up that work ethic and proceeded to continuously hold down a job from age 16 till 40 years later. Then getting married and having two children, I had totally forgotten the joy of camping and fishing.

Now, I have come full circle. I have always been sort of a wanderer at heart, and enjoy day-long drives exploring new places. My kids are grown and pursuing their own interests. My extended family is mostly passed away and I there is nothing left holding me back. Last year, I quit the industry I've been working in the past 20 years and started self-employment because I was fed up with the clack & clutter of holding down a full-time job, rent and car payments. I finally realized over 50% of my income went to debts and a roof over my head and never getting ahead no matter how much commission I earned even working a second job. I simply got fed up with the Rat Race!

So, I sold what furniture and trappings of a life in debt, got a small storage space for the memorabilia I can't let go of yet, turned in my apartment keys and now living as a nomad in my car. This all went down last week. I have spent 5 nights boondocking in my car. I spent one night in between at a motel as a treat to myself. I now enjoy watching sunsets and sunrises and joined a fitness club to work on getting in better shape and access to a warm shower. I find myself eating much better and treat myself to a nice dinner every couple of nights. No more junk-food! I have already saved more money...and tomorrow, May 1st, I PAY NO RENT! I now work two "side-hustle" jobs to earn income, and one has led me to a revelation and application to get my CDL license tuition free with a commitment to drive OTR for 12 months. I will find out in a few days if my app is accepted and I get 3 weeks paid training, sign on bonus, benies and a fast track to saving $1000s in surplus income to buy my RV "RIG." That is the current plan. Wish me luck!

Sent from my LG-LS998 using Tapatalk

Hi TXNomad and welcome. Best of luck with everything!

Be aware of what happens if you don't complete the CDL training or leave before the 12 months as a lot of these places are hoping you don't complete the agreement and over charge for training or sell you a junk truck at the end with high priced financing. School systems will train you to get a Class B CDL for free in most cases which lets you drive all types of straight trucks. Since the test is similar to the Class A test many employers will want you , in a lot of cases, to drive a rig and you as a known good employee get paid to get a Class A CDL.

Welcome TXnomad to the CRVL forums! To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips, Tricks and Rules" post lists some helpful information to get you started. We look forward to hearing more from you. highdesertranger

bullfrog,
I appreciate the heads-up. I read the fine print and understand I'm on the hook for the "inflated" price of training which includes partnering with a mentor driver to learn the ropes. I will receive $100/week for training, $100 for finishing, then $300 in my first 8 days of waiting for placement. $500 bonus after 60 days then another $500 bonus after 180 days. I can earn hazmat endorsement if I choose. I can do this kind of work for a year no matter what. I already drive for DriverGo moving Freightliner M2s. Piece of cake.

TXNomad,

That contract they get you with...is a big red flag.
Ask them about how many show up after a long bus ride for orientation...vs how many graduate.
Ask how many make their first six months. Then ask about pay guarantee during the first year.
All of them promise the world and deliver poverty wage for at least the first year.
You will notice they use terms like "UP TO 54000 first year earnings" or "our top rookie driver made 62,000 dollars his first year." Pay close attention.

You can get your CDL through a local community college for a lot less than any of the "sign with us/work for us" schools.
Usually, with better training.

Two things rarely work out for new truck drivers.
1. Indentured servitude for your training. (What you are proposing)
2. Buying a worn out truck for huge money on weekly payments to the very same company...so you can call yourself an "owner operator" and make even less money.

Begin demanding the success numbers in front of other prospects and watch the recruiters squirm and answer with squirrely logic. I bet you think/you are being promised "45-70K per year" money, when your first year is much more likely to be in the 20,000 range, with very worst runs falling on the new guy...along with driving 800 miles chasing freight...but getting paid for only 120 loaded miles. (<<< that is common)

Also, make sure to know the policies of the company you are going with.
Many do not have a fridge in the truck...and will not allow you to hook one up.
Since you have an eye in the sky watching you...and nearly none of the contracts allow you to leave your trailer to bobtail around on off hours...Taxis become expensive to shop for food/see a movie/buy underwear...so you end up doing your reset in the piss soaked parking lot of some truckstop.

Life on the road is very expensive.

Not sure which company you went with, but do a Google search with their name and add the words "ripoff" or "lies" or "bad experience" take your pick, but try five or so searches.
While I am not saying all the whiners online should be believed...neither can the smiling recruiters, who have a very well-deserved reputation as having less morals than a used car salesperson.

The net is loaded with BS about driving jobs. Even Bob has a video up with a woman claiming she made huge money for moving RV's. This one=
She seems smart. Her story does not appear to be hard to swallow...but the amounts she stated are totally unrealistic.
Don't fall prey to misinformation like this.

Go to a local truckstop and find the trucks from that company you are going to sign on to.
Speak with six or eight of them.
They will likely talk to you if you explain your situation.

Choosing a career path like driving truck professionally is anything but a 'piece of cake'....

I'm guessing the young Cuban man being held in Denver for killing 4 people in a horrendous truck crash also thought it was easy.

But it's not. If you screw up, people can get hurt or killed out there. So, take it seriously. 

Also, recruiters lie. Soak it all in, but be skeptical and request proof or documentation or at least talk to the drivers who work for any company you are interested in.

Good luck in your future transition to living life on your terms.

JD GUMBEE said:
TXNomad,

That contract they get you with...is a big red flag.
Ask them about how many show up after a long bus ride for orientation...vs how many graduate.
Ask how many make their first six months. Then ask about pay guarantee during the first year.
All of them promise the world and deliver poverty wage for at least the first year.
You will notice they use terms like "UP TO 54000 first year earnings" or "our top rookie driver made 62,000 dollars his first year." Pay close attention.

You can get your CDL through a local community college for a lot less than any of the "sign with us/work for us" schools.
Usually, with better training.

Two things rarely work out for new truck drivers.
1. Indentured servitude for your training. (What you are proposing)
2. Buying a worn out truck for huge money on weekly payments to the very same company...so you can call yourself an "owner operator" and make even less money.

Begin demanding the success numbers in front of other prospects and watch the recruiters squirm and answer with squirrely logic. I bet you think/you are being promised "45-70K per year" money, when your first year is much more likely to be in the 20,000 range, with very worst runs falling on the new guy...along with driving 800 miles chasing freight...but getting paid for only 120 loaded miles. (<<< that is common)

Also, make sure to know the policies of the company you are going with.
Many do not have a fridge in the truck...and will not allow you to hook one up.
Since you have an eye in the sky watching you...and nearly none of the contracts allow you to leave your trailer to bobtail around on off hours...Taxis become expensive to shop for food/see a movie/buy underwear...so you end up doing your reset in the piss soaked parking lot of some truckstop.

Life on the road is very expensive.

Not sure which company you went with, but do a Google search with their name and add the words "ripoff" or "lies" or "bad experience" take your pick, but try five or so searches.
While I am not saying all the whiners online should be believed...neither can the smiling recruiters, who have a very well-deserved reputation as having less morals than a used car salesperson.

The net is loaded with BS about driving jobs. Even Bob has a video up with a woman claiming she made huge money for moving RV's. This one=
She seems smart. Her story does not appear to be hard to swallow...but the amounts she stated are totally unrealistic.
Don't fall prey to misinformation like this.

Go to a local truckstop and find the trucks from that company you are going to sign on to.
Speak with six or eight of them.
They will likely talk to you if you explain your situation.
Good Lord, Gumbee you are laying a thick rug of discontent and bias about trucking. I did look online and searched pros & cons. Guess what? Everybody has an opinion...good and bad. Clearly you have no respect for this decision and you don't even know me or my needs or goals, much less I don't even know who the hell you are?

Your panning of Bob's YT video of the woman who drives RVs for Horizon Transport was essentially lying about her earnings moving RVs, says a lot... I'll leave that one there.

But, thanks for your input. I don't think getting Class A CDL training, albeit with stipulations, will be a waste of my time...or worse "indentured servitude," in gaining a year of CDL experience which will be of high value. Wouldn't you agree?

tx2sturgis said:
Choosing a career path like driving truck professionally is anything but a 'piece of cake'....

I'm guessing the young Cuban man being held in Denver for killing 4 people in a horrendous truck crash also thought it was easy.

But it's not. If you screw up, people can get hurt or killed out there. So, take it seriously. 

Also, recruiters lie. Soak it all in, but be skeptical and request proof or documentation or at least talk to the drivers who work for any company you are interested in.

Good luck in your future transition to living life on your terms.
Nice to meet another happy trucker. Do you really think my "piece of cake" confidence sounds like I'm another imbecile looking for the easy way and risking lives on the road? That is a wee bit heavy handed on your part since you know nothing about me.

I'm really disappointed to be getting this type of feedback from what is suppose to be a helpful, friendly forum from "like-minded" people. Instead, I'm getting this borderline eyebrow abuse of my personal decision making.

Does this site have a forum for "Mind-Reading" as well? LOL [emoji38] Sorry, my sarcastic side just got exposed. Hope to make it to RTR next year, inspite of my bad decision making.

My post was intended to help you, I'm not dismissing your choices. 

But your cocky attitude, and arrogant self-confidence, is exactly what gets people hurt, or they get chewed up and spit out by the trucking industry. In case you haven't run across the typical truck driver first year employment turn-over rates, they are VERY high (typically 80-95%).

At the same time, good drivers are in high demand, and many will make several jumps from one company to the next in their first couple of years of driving, so this 'skews' the numbers. 

If we were sitting at a truckstop cafe, I could tell you many things that I think you would find helpful and informative, and they would be said with the sincere intent to provide you with a bit of guidance. 

But if you are sure that we don't have any idea of what we are talking about, then just ignore it all. 

My well-wishes for you are genuine. Best of luck to you.

Welcome to the CRVL forums TXNomad! JDGUMBEE and tex2sturgis are experienced in the trucking business and are attempting to give you helpful advice. It's up to you whether you chose to follow or disregard the advice but please keep your replies respectful.

To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips, Tricks and Rules" post lists some helpful information to get you started. We look forward to hearing more from you.

tx2sturgis said:
My post was intended to help you, I'm not dismissing your choices. 

But your cocky attitude, and arrogant self-confidence, is exactly what gets people hurt, or they get chewed up and spit out by the trucking industry. In case you haven't run across the typical truck driver first year employment turn-over rates, they are VERY high (typically 80-95%).

At the same time, good drivers are in high demand, and many will make several jumps from one company to the next in their first couple of years of driving, so this 'skews' the numbers. 

If we were sitting at a truckstop cafe, I could tell you many things that I think you would find helpful and informative, and they would be said with the sincere intent to provide you with a bit of guidance. 

But if you are sure that we don't have any idea of what we are talking about, then just ignore it all. 

My well-wishes for you are genuine. Best of luck to you.
Thanks. Work on identifying a sense of humor as not being "cocky" and accept my critical pushback that I felt your comments were taken as a bit too aggressive...which makes me bow-up and it's Go Time.

I'm sure you're a fine dude who meant well. I'm not apologizing for my previous comments, just acknowledging we do not know each other or the particular "bent" in our personalities. I'll chalk this up to getting off on the wrong foot. I admit to being relationship challenged and can be scrappy on social media platforms (Twitter especially) to the point of being a trollish.

My name is Tom. I'm 56 yrs old, native Texan. I am a Coast Guard Reserve veteran. Father of two beautiful daughters. Married twice, now happily divorced, worked 40 yrs continuously now trying to walk off last 6 years to early retirement. Earlier this year, I watched a YouTube video entitled Without Bound. Rest will be history.

TXNomad said:
Growing up, my Dad took me camping and fishing quite often. We always had a truck camper, tent or travel trailer. Quite often, I would inhabit the truck camper over Summer break and live like it was my own apartment...at age 15 or so! My parents were hard working people, and I picked up that work ethic and proceeded to continuously hold down a job from age 16 till 40 years later. Then getting married and having two children, I had totally forgotten the joy of camping and fishing.

Now, I have come full circle. I have always been sort of a wanderer at heart, and enjoy day-long drives exploring new places. My kids are grown and pursuing their own interests. My extended family is mostly passed away and I there is nothing left holding me back. Last year, I quit the industry I've been working in the past 20 years and started self-employment because I was fed up with the clack & clutter of holding down a full-time job, rent and car payments. I finally realized over 50% of my income went to debts and a roof over my head and never getting ahead no matter how much commission I earned even working a second job. I simply got fed up with the Rat Race!

So, I sold what furniture and trappings of a life in debt, got a small storage space for the memorabilia I can't let go of yet, turned in my apartment keys and now living as a nomad in my car. This all went down last week. I have spent 5 nights boondocking in my car. I spent one night in between at a motel as a treat to myself. I now enjoy watching sunsets and sunrises and joined a fitness club to work on getting in better shape and access to a warm shower. I find myself eating much better and treat myself to a nice dinner every couple of nights. No more junk-food! I have already saved more money...and tomorrow, May 1st, I PAY NO RENT! I now work two "side-hustle" jobs to earn income, and one has led me to a revelation and application to get my CDL license tuition free with a commitment to drive OTR for 12 months. I will find out in a few days if my app is accepted and I get 3 weeks paid training, sign on bonus, benies and a fast track to saving $1000s in surplus income to buy my RV "RIG." That is the current plan. Wish me luck!

I passed background & DOT checks and am accepted into Class A CDL training school. I start Monday May 6th for 3 weeks of training. My goal is to earn CDL A license and gain experience. I owe no rent, very low expenses and low debt with no one to go home to, I will be an OTR Nomad seeing this great Country for at least a year, saving a large part of my income to eventually purchase my first RV Nomad Rig within a year. In 2023, I will qualify for early retirement. Imagine the money saved living below my means with a sustainable fixed income? I don't have to love the job or the company I work for...I will love the benefits, saving 40% of my income into savings since I pay no rent or mortgage, tapering into my RV Lifestyle.

TXNomad said:
Clearly you have no respect for this decision and you don't even know me or my needs or goals, much less I don't even know who the hell you are?
...I don't think getting Class A CDL training, albeit with stipulations, will be a waste of my time...or worse "indentured servitude," in gaining a year of CDL experience which will be of high value. Wouldn't you agree?

Firstly, you are really not going to like the forums here if you get this butthurt over a warning.
Of COURSE you don't know me. You registered here this month.

You also have NO CLUE what you are about to get yourself into. (but I now know better than to warn you further)
If you re-read the post I entered, you might see I said nothing bad about having a CDL or the trucking industry itself...it was the problems with the one year of indentured servitude in a newbie company I warned you about.
(and that is exactly what you are in for)
Pretty sure I even included an alternate, better way to go about it, too. Did I not?

To answer your last question, NO. It is not worth a year of working for them on their terms.
Not for the training you are likely to get.
The training you get is 100% geared towards passing your test and working with that company.
There is a lot more covered in a good college program (most cost less than the one you are headed to) and you would graduate with more knowledge on the DOT side of things, map tricks you think you know, but likely don't...how to truly balance and make sure your load stays put..etc etc...including practicing tricky blind side backups and finicky tandem slides on an old trailer.

I know all this because I am a transportation consultant.
I manage three leasing outfits in the North and fleet data for a whole lot more of them all over the USA.
I speak at fleet conferences and get paid to figure out what truck lasts longest.
In the 90's, I used to be the guy who would come in and train guys like you.
I also "retired" and went OTR pulling my reefer trailer for a good while when all the dBase stuff had me seeing double.
I grew up in farm land and drove trucks since before I could reach the pedals correctly...have owned three of my own trucks and been in the business since I walked out of college in the 80's in one way or another.

I hope you are still here in a year.
Should you move forward with what you have been warned about, I will be interested in hearing how badly TX2 and I advised you.
Seems like you have it all figured out perfectly.
Best of luck.

rvwandering said:
Welcome to the CRVL forums TXNomad! JDGUMBEE and tex2sturgis are experienced in the trucking business and are attempting to give you helpful advice. It's up to you whether you chose to follow or disregard the advice but please keep your replies respectful.

To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips, Tricks and Rules" post lists some helpful information to get you started. We look forward to hearing more from you.
I really do not know how to respond to this? Quite frankly, I am mystified at it. I have been a member of many social media platforms and have never been reproached for defending myself from UNSOLICITED comments.

I am a newbie to the forum, proudly made my FIRST POST. I did not ask for help, I did not ask for opinions...but, I expected acceptance and maybe just a little encouragement. Perhaps I am expecting too much? If you are allowing your "experienced" members to exercise their 1A Rights to comment, yet referee mine, then my presence here is fruitless. So, what's it going to be?

TXNomad said:
I really do not know how to respond to this? Quite frankly, I am mystified at it. I have been a member of many social media platforms and have never been reproached for defending myself from UNSOLICITED comments.

I am a newbie to the forum, proudly made my FIRST POST. I did not ask for help, I did not ask for opinions...but, I expected acceptance and maybe just a little encouragement. Perhaps I am expecting too much? If you are allowing your "experienced" members to exercise their 1A Rights to comment, yet referee mine, then my presence here is fruitless. So, what's it going to be?

Never mind. I'll make this real easy for you. Bye.

TXNomad said:
Never mind. I'll make this real easy for you. Bye.

Got another attack post from one of your experienced members. I will tell as many people as I come across not to join this forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.