Tankless Water Heaters

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rpmhart333

Reaction score
Is there a thread for tankless vs. standard water heaters somewhere on the site? I can't find anything but mentions and would like to hear more personal experiences.

I have a tankless(on demand) water heater, been using it for 7 years now.
There are pros and cons to both.
Where and what would you be using it for?

The big advantage to tankless is only heating water when you need it, but you can also minimize power consumption with a standard water heater.
The big advantage to a standard tank heater is uniformity of water temperature, regardless of flow rate.
Disadvantage of tankless, is figuring out flow rate versus temperature, as the water temp can fluctuate from cold to scalding while getting it configured, so it takes more fiddling to get what you want pressure and temperature wise.

Thanks for the answer. We are a couple in a trailer--park model, but will be outfitting a Class C later--and our only hot water uses would be for showering and dishes, so our water needs are pretty low.
I have to replace our heater (only six years old and not subjected to hard use, thanks there Attwood) and am trying to decide if the rewarming of six gallons to keep it at temp is more wasteful than switching over. Got to spend the money anyway. Seems most testimony on Yootoob are for tankless, but a good friend who's been in the RV biz for more than 20 years says they eat propane and aren't something he'd touch.
Hence the thread.

Tankless are quite efficient when it comes to propane consumption, they only use propane while hot water is being produced. Standard 6 gallon water tank system runs on thermostat to ensure you always have hot water, putting a power switch on a tank system allows you to turn it off when not in use. The downside is you have to figure out how long it takes to heat up the 6 gallons, and turn the system on at least that amount of time before you need the hot water. That makes it more economical, however either way there is fiddling involved to optimize each system.

Some other things to consider are your alternate power sources. If you run a generator anyway you can power a regular 110 volt 10 gallon under sink sticks and bricks water heater which is cheaper than an RV style. This gives you plenty of hot water when you need it and if you use electric appliances to cook gives you hot water to do dishes afterwards.

Sorry not to have gotten back with my thanks before this; been a little (that is to say, a LOT) busy. Gotta tell you, tho'; I am very surprised that so few replies came in; I figured hot water would be a hot topic and there'd be a ton more opinions. Still cleaning up after my leakage and trying to decide what to do.

Decades ago, while treeplanting, we had a Bosch/Paloma tankless (on propane) supplying hot water for 10 showers & the kitchen in bush camp. ..Willy.

Many thanks. I repaired the water heater--new guts and elimination of a microsized leak in a bad weld--and have the thing working for under $250, but am still deciding for the long run in the Class C.