Tankless Propane Water Heater?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BradKW

Reaction score
I was initially leaning toward an alcohol stovetop because it burns clean and there's a nice gimbaled model I liked. However, after much time on forums I'm now planning on propane, with a 2.5gal canister mounted inside the van, sealed + vented. I've read enough to be convinced that many people are cooking and using portable heaters inside their van without problems. Enough so that I'm becoming convinced I'll also be comfortable doing this.

So here's my question, and it regards hot water. I'm guessing most have seen the portable tankless propane water heaters? http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/pr...38600000028778

That's one example. Ok, so. If cooking and running a Mr. Buddy heater works fine, why wouldn't using a "portable" propane heater also be fine for the short periods you'd want hot water? Why not mount it and plumb it into the system?

Thanks   :)

For short periods of operation with adequate ventilation, there is no doubt that it would be fine, however, typically these units run around 30-40,000 btu's which is considerably more than a Buddy heater.
So you would need more fresh air intake, and you would generate more water vapor/CO in the process of running it.

what about heating a pot of water and having a sponge bath? I know it sounds archaic but it works pretty good once you get used to it, after all we have only had running hot water for a very short period of time so it is not like going back to the cave, you still can use your stove stove, a soft face cloth and soap. In a van a shower area takes up a lot of room, makes a lot of moisture cost a lot of money and takes a lot time and ingenuity to get it sorted. It can be done.

I think a fire coil is a bit more versatile. It can be used on your stove top either indoors or outdoors, and can also be used with a campfire.

With a fire coil, I can recirculate the water in my hot water jug until it reaches the desired temperature.

I like a solar water heater bag. I can add hot water from the teapot if needed. 
We open the back doors, rig a quickie tarp enclosure, put the bag up on top, and go for it.
Hang the bag on the side and use it for dish and hand washing.
Works for us and its cheap.

Sponge bath (Mom called it "whore's bath") works between showers and unscented wipes are good for daily cleaning.

Personally, I don't want a water system inside the van. Gravity is free and works quite well from a jug.
 :)

I started with a shower and water heater and tanks and pump and gray water tank and......

The shower space is now strictly kitchen, water heater is somewhere unknown, storage tank has been downsized allowing for more storage, pump is in a drawer for the rare times I want to transfer water.

I now bath in less time heating water on my stove,and using a pan and washcloths than it took me to unpack all the stuff that always seemed to find its way into the shower space.....
I do carry a solar shower for warm weather boondocking and use it outside the van.

BradKW said:
That's one example. Ok, so. If cooking and running a Mr. Buddy heater works fine, why wouldn't using a "portable" propane heater also be fine for the short periods you'd want hot water? Why not mount it and plumb it into the system?

Thanks   :)

I've gone back and forth with the same question. But I haven't found a propane on-demand water heater, like the one in your link, that will work without being fed by a water hose from an outside source. You could plumb in a large storage tank and add a 12V pump along with some type of recirc filter system loop, but I'm not sure it's worth all that effort.

If there was a simple way to capture heat from a buddy heater using coiled copper tubing then I'm interested.
I know using any heat exchanger on a stovetop would work for hot water for washing (see the pic) an it's not all that tuff to valve it into baseboard heat for cold temp heating use too.
I've played with hot water heat in several century homes here in the north. Created solar heater systems, not the solar "panel" variety. It's worth exploring for sure.

A Coil water heater.jpg

Attachments

• A Coil water heater.jpg
    A Coil water heater.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 22
This may only be me but I am not a big fan of the newer Camp Chef quality. I had some older CC stuff and it seemed a lot sturdier. Gotta go with Bindi on this one,

ZoNiE said:
I know a few folks who have put these in their RV's...
http://www.wayfair.com/Eccotemp-Sys...ortable-Tankless-Water-Heater-L5-EAQ1000.html

Smaller and much cheaper than the first one.

I had been looking at the L5 for the past year or so, and from all the reviews I have read it appears to be a little bit finicky in it's operation.
Most people seemed to think getting the L7 or L10 would be a better bet.

I ended up getting an RV tankless on-demand system at a blowout sale, but I haven't hooked it up yet.

My 2 cents:
For showers...get a hand pump garden sprayer...a metal one can be heated on the stove....or paint it black and let the sun heat it. Get a black plastic one for solar only plus lighter weight. Keep it simple...those tankless heaters are just one more 'system' to maintain.

For propane, unless absolutely strapped for space, use a standard 20# (4.7 gal) tank....probably less than half the cost of an 11 pounder. You can't exchange a small tank...you have to find a refill station. When the tank 'expires' is important...if you buy the small tank be sure to check the date--since they are not big sellers the age of the stock on the shelf comes into play...if it's been sitting on a shelf a few years, you'll be losing that time before needing to be re-certified. When a 20 pounder is ready to expire, you just get an exchange.

I've installed 4 Ecco temp L5's in cabins and tiny homes, one being my own.
They are indeed finicky, and will NOT work through an anti scald pressure balancing faucet.

One cabin was a rental and we eventually replaced it with an elec tank because renters couldn't seem to grasp how to use it....
I have had no feedback on the others
In my cabin it works, but I will not buy another. Perhaps a higher volume one or a better built brand.

We are running an eccotemp FVI12 in our tiny house. After we got past the learning curve it is fine for our modest use. Initially we had no temp adjustment. It REQUIRES a certain gpm to work properly. The way we got enough gpms was to remove the restricter in the shower head. It was much cheaper than anything else we could find (tankless) and i'd buy another one if needed.
I would caution anybody using a gas water heater indoors to vent properly. They will produce more than enough CO to make you sick.
On the road we use a garden sprayer painted with black spray paint. If we don't get enough sun to bring the temp up to our liking, we add a teapot of boiled water and go to town.