taking the plunge on a used astro? but need cruise control...

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doublegregg

Reaction score
hi all

i've been going back and forth for a couple years now - van, truck/cap, cargo trailer, nv and ford transits.... it's a daunting decision...!!!

a college is selling a 2001 astro with less than 30,000 miles, 4.3 Li 4 spd automatic.... i'm going to look at it, they san i can start it, they won't let you drive it, but you can see the service records... they say the battery might need to be replaced, and it 'runs.'

kelly blue book says $1200 to $3000.......... in good condition..... but for low mileage, such as this one, $3200 to $4800. 

how much should i offer for this? it is an auction, and i'm considering up to $4000????  i'll inspect the vehicle....... and assuming it looks okay, i'll bid on it. i feel safer buying from an instituion vs. a dealer or private party....... i figure they have less to hide......

this has no cruise control -------- i need cruise control. is it hard to install a factory or outside vendor kit?

any advice on what to look for in these astros would also be appreciated!!!

thank you in advance.
gregg

do you need cruise control or do you want cruise control. 4k for a 01 astro is way high in my book. I would go 2500 max. what's the current bid go just over that and keep doing that until you reach your max. question in the state this auction is in do they have to fully disclose any problem. 30k in 18 years is very low, too low if you ask me. that thing sat for a very long time. highdesertranger

hi hdr,
i kind of NEED cruise control............ current bid is $3300. i'm a little desperate to get a vehicle. i'm going to at least look at it, but will try to be careful about whether it's in poor shape from not being driven. they will have service records. those should clarify something. as i said, i guess i feel there's less incentive for an institution to dump a lemon than a private party. i can ask my mechanic about the cost of putting in a cruise control - that will add a fair amount of $ to the purchase price.......

I drive a fleet mini van where I work. 2008 Dodge Caravan. It has about 35K miles on it. Drives and runs like it has 200K on it. Just saying don't get too in love with a fleet vehicle. Apparently the one we have was used as a storage shed for who knows how long sitting in an alley with printed materials in it...I think the best fleet vehicles are to be found from rental companies, though some of the wear and tear on brakes and transmission can be rough due to multiple drivers. At least they are regularly maintained. Being "desperate" is never a good way to go in to buying a vehicle. Take your time. There a PLENTY of good vehicles available.

Too many red flags on this one:

Can't test drive it. 

No cruise control. (even though an aftermarket unit is easy to add later)

Low mileage for the age.

Kinda smallish.

Over-priced I think.

Buyer in a hurry.

Yeah, I'd pass on this one.

Lots, and lots of full sized cargo vans on Craigslist, also many minivans (if that's what you want) are listed on CL. $3300 for an 18 year old minivan is already too much money, and would buy just about anything older than 2005-2006.

thanks, guys. ok, i'll pass on it... i wasn't aware that the astro was similar in size to a mini van, as opposed to a cargo van.... i'll look at the CL cargo vans, although those are mainly private parties. i figure i'll steer clear of dealers. then there's uhaul, which retires it's vehicles after a year, but they're over $20,000, is my impression...

open to any other suggestions... i'll have to quench my urge to get a van in time for the RTR............

you don't need a van to come to the RTR. come with what you have, that gives you the chance to look over every type of vehicle you can think of. highdesertranger

doublegregg said:
 i wasn't aware that the astro was similar in size to a mini van, as opposed to a cargo van....  

The Astro van is a bit larger than a typical minivan, but a bit smaller than a typical full size cargo or passenger van from Ford or Chevy, in case you find others that interest you. They were available for awhile in AWD and that makes some of those a bit more valuable, assuming the vehicle is in good shape.

Thanks for clarification on the size of the astro.... and hdr, i was actually at the rtr last year, 2018, staying in a motel in blythe, and running over the 20 miles or so to the rtr during the day. i guess i'll make it one way or another in 2019 also. i've been wanting to get into the style for over a couple years now.

hard to get all the info together to get the vehicle, etc...

You can buy a lot of camping gear, (tent, sleeping bag, airmattress, cooler, lantern, etc,) for what you will pay for a motel for a week, and all the gas driving back and forth from Blythe.

If you can find a good Astro AWD with low mileage and no rust. They tow a lot of weight and get great gas mileage!
And the 4.3 Vortecs in them are known to run forever, 300000 to 400000 miles^ if you take care of them.
That sucks you can't drive it! That truck could be a diamond in the rough.

doublegregg said:
Thanks for clarification on the size of the astro.... and hdr, i was actually at the rtr last year, 2018, staying in a motel in blythe, and running over the 20 miles or so to the rtr during the day. i guess i'll make it one way or another in 2019 also. i've been wanting to get into the style for over a couple years now.

hard to get all the info together to get the vehicle, etc...

tx2sturgis said:
You can buy a lot of camping gear, (tent, sleeping bag, airmattress, cooler, lantern, etc,) for what you will pay for a motel for a week, and all the gas driving back and forth from Blythe.

thanks.......... that's an idea, and i've got the equipment, just not sure i'm keen on any camping. we'll see. if it's raining, no. if weather is ok, maybe....

doublegregg said:
this has no cruise control -------- i need cruise control. is it hard to install a factory or outside vendor kit?

This summer I installed CC on my fleet-style base cargo van.  Took about 45mins and most of that was unscrewing panels to get to everything.  Hardest part about it was the price ($300).  I think it was worth it, since I tend to speed up without realizing it.

gtk.......... i assume it was the manufacturer's kit............. only 45 minutes to install? i guess it just plugs in to existing harnesses, etc? i have to have CC......... there's a lot of driving in the southwest, and i don't want to have to have my foot on the gas the whole time.......

what a complainer.....lol

It was an aftermarket kit (Rostra). Yes, plugging in harnesses. This particular kit also required soldering a wire, but I think that is peculiar to my van.

I watched some YT vids on the install so knew what to expect.

frater secessus said:
It was an aftermarket kit (Rostra).  Yes, plugging in harnesses.  This particular kit also required soldering a wire, but I think that is peculiar to my van.

I watched some YT vids on the install so knew what to expect.

thanks.......... i passed on the astro i looked at.... it seemed pretty beat up, very few miles, like 30000.......engine seemed clean, although i'm not sure i'd want to work on it as it seemed really tight quarters......... someone paid $3500 plus for it.