Table DIY ideas

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KaLvan

Reaction score
Any suggestions for a table to use boondocking for eating at? We don't have much room in van to store a purchased fold up table.  Thinking I could use a piece of plywood that could be stored under the mattress.  Any suggestions for legs or other things to use as a table? We would like it to be something fixed to the legs so that is somewhat sturdy.  Anybody create something with PVC legs?  Thinking that would be lightweight and not take up too much room.  Appreciate any ideas or feedback.

We are not opposed to purchasing a ready made table, but it has to fold up pretty small and compact.

IKEA has table legs that screw on. You can use the legs with any kind of table top. The butcher block counter tops are very strong, durable and not as thick as the cheaper hollow table tops.

I went with this because it will drop down to 24" high and up to 34" high. It's from Lifetime. They have it on Amazon. They don't carry it at all Home Depots. It's their commercial grade product. It does not fold in the middle. It does tuck away at 2" thick and the legs are bomb proof.

This: Lifetime 80387 4-Foot Commercial Adjustable Folding Table, Almond :

https://www.amazon.com/Lifetime-803...etime+80339+table+cart&qid=1638750701&sr=8-17

I got mine for under $80 if you can find a deal on it. It's the most sturdy table of this type that I have ever seen.

Attachments

• table.png
    table.png
    70.6 KB · Views: 4
Lifetime also makes a cheaper version for around $55.

LIFETIME 80160 Commercial Height Adjustable Folding Utility Table, 4 Feet, White Granite

Since you asked for DIY table I'll offer this. For something to sit at inside a Van you might consider something like this. Obviously outside this may not work for you.
A Fold Up Table.jpg

I used this idea as I wanted to build something solid, a bit smaller but with the same design. I do have plenty of room in the Box Van but this can easily be scaled up or down.

That's my 2¢

Attachments

• A Fold Up Table.jpg
    A Fold Up Table.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 9
Living/Camping out of my 4Runner space is very limited so I simply made a platform to level out the back and created 2 slide out tables. Great for cooking and just hanging out. Plus my hatch provides overhead cover. Super cheap and takes no space. 

Finished \/
esn3Jfyl.jpg

Cooking time. \/
lrWEt50l.jpg

Before i added the 2nd slide out. \/
GLGSQkxl.jpg

Probably can make a super awesome long one in a van.

You could use your piece of plywood idea and either hinge it to the inside of the back door with one leg hinged to it and it could fold down in position or install some kind of eyelet or clip that the table could mate into on the side of the van or the rear doors or somewhere outside, you could also have eyelets inside so you coul pd use it there as well when needed.

There are some good ideas here.  I like Ripper's set-up especially well.  How much table and for what purpose(s) do you have in mind?  Storage is only part of the equation.  Whatever you drag out, you will have to put back--perhaps in the rain; perhaps in a hurry.

This table has been very useful for us. https://www.walmart.com/ip/Folding-...-Home-30-x-20-x-28-Great-for-Laptops/55551518  I store the top vertically behind the passenger seat, slipped in behind a back-of-seat organizer.  It stays in place, even when the seat is moved.  The legs are fastened to the door handle of the rear side barn door with a Velcro strap and extend down into the door well.  They remain attached when that door is opened.

We have next to no open floor space, but we can easily set this up from inside and use it while sitting on the bed.  If can be slid between the front seats, too.  Outside, it is used as a prep table at the back doors or side of the van.  Since the height is adjustable ( you do have to remove the top to change it), it can be used like a coffee table with camp chairs.  It has held up well for 10+ years, but is not heat proof.

In my rig I have a kitchenette cabinet that has doors on the front that open up.  On the left side door I have a table that folds down and only uses an inch & a half of space to the cabinet.  When the table is folded up it it extends out 2 1/2 feet.   In Ohio where I live this conforms to the "House Vehicle" requirements that a rig has to have a bed, an area with refrigeration to prepare food in (which implies a cooking device, a sink with running water, and table with seats) and eat....all built into the rig permanently. This sketch doesn't show sinks on the top of the cabinet but the white folding table is shown at the left side.  The ice chest could be seating for one and a small camp folding chair could serve as a second.

The idea for this came from a compact kitchen built by a company called King. These were a standard in small apartments.

271c4a606b3cd5dce439310845a32493.jpg

So I use a cabinet with most of this built into it.  This image is in my Van Conversion website below:

VanR.jpg

If I had a bed in my rig (I sleep in a recliner) I could easily see using the bedboard with wooden folding table length legs under it. As a bed at night, And a table during the day. The reason I would use folding legs that are wooden rather than metal is it the wooden ones will be flat and stay flat under the board and mattress rather than the round metal legs you can buy. You can still Use your under-bed space for storage this way.

Another outside table idea was featured by Bob in a video - some type of apparatus that was held up with a rod going around the back of your tire??? You might look it up in his videos.