Switzerland? Looking for someone to help me convert my van in exchange for the flight, living expenses and pocket money.

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's it Folks... I'm not a 6 year old... I will not tolerate being treated like one. This is my last post, I'm going somewhere I'm treated as the 61 year old adult I am.

I wish all of you the very best in your journeys...

Stay safe, sane and well fed...

Cheers

Your post in the thread Say it ain't so: Potential end to Walmart overnighting... was deleted. Reason: off topic or sliding into bickering
Yesterday at 9:18 AM
Disappointed that thread got locked. Sites gotten really lame.

The countries I have lived for one year or more are " Kenya, Somalia, Saudi Arabia, Qatar, Philippines, Pakistan, Bangladesh, Vietnam, and USA (where I was born.) I have travelled fairly extensively in Malaysia, Netherlands, Lebanon, Egypt, Guam (USA) Tanzania, Morocco, Spain, Portugal, Tunisia, Djibouti, Cambodia, Bosnia, Sri Lanka, Nepal, Czech Republic, Hungary, Switzerland, Italy, Sardinia (part of Italy), UK, Canada, and Mexico. Too many transit airports to remember. I have found that it is presumptuous to stereotype people by nationality alone--it depends on socio-economic status, education, family values etc. I have met plenty of foreigners who would give you the shirt off their back and lots of trashy Americans. How much they know about the rest of the world depends on their experience. Many poor rice farmers in North Philippines have never seen a TV. Many Africans have never seen a white man. God made us all different--but we all belong here and deserve the respect of being human. DBB

Disappointed that thread got locked. Sites gotten really lame.
I tend to agree when sites get too heavily regulated and censored, it tends to drive folks away.
Of course, when direct physical threats of bodily harm or harm to family members occurs that definitely crosses the line to unacceptable. Foul language directed at someone personally to include the 7 words from Carlin, need to be weeded out to keep things relatively civil!
Some form of back-and-forth discord should be allowed.

Hopefully the Admins and Mods are listening...???

Also hopefully the people who cross the line and know it (assuming everyone here is over the age of 12 and has an IQ over 70, though I could be wrong about that) ...

-- thus generating a mess for someone else to clean up -- which cannot be done without making some difficult and ambiguous choices and probably throwing some babies out with the bathwater --

-- because, what do you want? the love child of Albert Einstein and Mahatma Ghandi, with a PhD in arbitration? we're getting this for free, remember -- I don't agree with all the mods' decisions either, but I sure as heck don't want the job, and I don't want to have to put up with the cr@p that sneaks in here sometimes, either --

... are listening too.

Not holding my breath, though.

Hi Monica -

I am in Amsterdam, The Netherlands...and have a Sprinter 3500 passenger van which I am (trying) to renovate. It's difficult here because of the lack of labor, I have found. So, I keep redesigning in attempts to avoid having to use tools and techniques I have no skills for. If you need to talk anything through - I'm more than happy to do so. (I've learned to hate wheel wells, for instance... :) ) If there is anything I can do to assist with resources that I have found - please let me know.

Cheers,

Chana
thanks Chana, I think here in Europe the van life itself is a lot harder than in the USA. Not only converting the van but later also, parking "wherever", I mean Switzerland is so small that it is difficult to find places far from "civilization". I've watched so many YouTubers converting their vans and that helped a lot, of course, but one thing is theory, another is reality... I found a company in Chamonix, France, https://www.campervans-montblanc.com . I was there on Friday morning, it is 1h30 to drive and initially the owner said, "we only do VW buses"... but then he said OK with my Ford... I said for the essentials, electricity, water, etc connections... I can see myself isolating and doing the "easy"stuff. But when it comes to cutting wood to make cabinets or a murphy bed, I do have all the tools but being able to create things looking good and matching corners hmmmm... that is why, it would be so good to have someone helping me out...

If you bring a helper from the USA to Europe you will have some issues to solve. That individual needs to prove upon arrival that they have enough funds in their bank account for a long stay. If they do not have the funds for that then you must sign a document saying you will be financially responsible for them. Of course you or they cannot mention you are employing them as that requires a work visa application for a non citizen. But you could get a visa if it if you can prove there is no local skilled labor available. You should think very carefully about this concept of bringing in forgein labor. It could get you into a lot of legal trouble. Plus if that person does not prove their worth it could also become a difficult situation for you and them.
yes it is true, you're right. I haven't thought about all that legal part. I thought more "naively" about having someone helping me out, who would like to travel a bit in Europe, like one of those sites like helpx.com and so on, where people help in farms and in exchange they get a place to stay, food, etc... I didn't go that far about visa and stuff because I didn't think that someone would stay so long... I thought that a van conversion might take 1 or 2 months ? of course, always depends how intense a conversion should be, how much money one has to invest...

Hi-
I'm not saying or implying in any way that she would be using the van here in the US!
Only that she could potentially sell her existing van then buy a Ford van here, convert it or buy an already converted van, then export it to SZ.

Good luck on your dream, Monica99, and post up when your plan goes forward in some fashion...
doing that means a lot of travelling, more money etc... Perhaps my conversion idea is too complicated. I shouted in this site, hoping someone could come and "magically" convert my van... oh no, that's a dream... I won't give up! I know at certain point I'll have the "VAN"

That sounds like an amazing opportunity for someone with the skills you require but I wonder if there are any nearby sources for tools, equipment and supplies, a place to work, and how are incoming shipments of tools, equipment, hardware, and supplies (which are not available locally) handled by customs?

We often hear about Switzerland when it comes to financial and banking policies.....but what about incoming shipments of things like solar panels, electronics, batteries, etc that might be needed for this project?

You might have better luck finding someone who is already in Europe who would be more familiar with the languages and various suppliers in those countries and the logistics involved in getting things on a timely basis.

But....I wish you the best of luck and please let us know how things are going.
I meant to offer this for anyone from anywhere, because it seems to be VERY complicated to find someone who is willing to do the job. The supplies here in Switzerland aren't the issue, we get everything from the nearby countries, some here can be cheaper but mostly they are not. In Chamonix, France, this company https://www.campervans-montblanc.com has a lot, I went there the other day and they might be able to help, initially they were very reluctant saying they only do Volkswagen but they, in 6 months they might have some time... Let's see. I still rather pay someone private to do the job as a company.

It sounds like you might have your solution in getting the VW converter to do your Ford.
It would be much easier than doing anything here for certain!
Good luck going forward, and post pics of the project if you can...

It sounds like you might have your solution in getting the VW converter to do your Ford.
It would be much easier than doing anything here for certain!
Good luck going forward, and post pics of the project if you can...
thanks Pete! I will post some pictures, thank you again, that is very kind of you

Might try this guy in the UK:

I think he works here: https://www.landseerleisure.com/

Another in the UK:

https://www.youtube.com/c/HughTube/about
Someone shared those in response to a question similar to yours. Found them in this thread: https://forum.projectvanlife.com/t/custom-conversions-in-europe/5736/3

excellent Carla, thank you. I checked the links you sent and I am calling the first one tomorrow. didn't you send me as well the link of the dutch guy https://www.the-magic-of-making-your-own-camper.com/the-endresult/the-inside/ in the prior post, when I asked for virtual help?

Monica, I follow a channel on YT from a couple in Italy. They did a van conversion and were not allowed to attach anything permanently. Not sure if that is a rule/law in Italy or all of Europe. If you get someone from outside Europe, make sure they know the laws very well.

BTW, that couple is great about responding to ppl who write/comment. You could ask them if they know of someone. Here is their channel:

hi again Carla,
I call the place where you get the license plate and when you've converted your van, you're supposed to bring it for inspection... and I was told that the electrical - gas and water installations had to follow the Swiss regulations, which do not differ much from the Austrian, German or French ones. Of course the electrical should be done by a Swiss company... then it would cost me 2 times as much, at least. About the attaching permanently, the inspection guy said, if you take out the seats from the back, then you'll only be able to carry 3 people. If after converting you add seats, they have to be adjust bla bla bla and that is too expensive. Anyway, I need to carry myself and my 2 border collies so, having 2 more extra seats, for me it is enough.... I'll look at the Italo's videos now

Monica I'm hoping your project will succeed despite our derailing of the thread topic. Hopefully others can provide you with some guidance and ideas.

I'm just as guilty as others if not more so, but I'm also a mod so I will take all the blame. And yes we listen, we make a few errors, and we learn.

As a courtesy to the OP, any more thread 'detours' will be removed. Please stay on topic.

Thanks everyone.

Last edited:
Monica I'm hoping your project will succeed despite our derailing of the thread topic. Hopefully others can provide you with some guidance and ideas.

I'm just as guilty as others if not more so, but I'm also a mod so I will take all the blame.

So...any more thread 'detours' will be removed. Please stay on topic.

Thanks everyone.
Dear Tx2 Sturgis,
Thank you for this, it certainly help to see the members' feedback. I am glad I am in this website, I really like it. I only wished there would be this type of website here in Europe. Your van community in the USA is one of a kind, we don't have that in Europe. Yes in Facebook the French van community isn't small but then it doesn't have the USA "way of life - way of thinking".
I saw the nomadic film and I had tears. I saw the amount of people living in vans and I felt, this is what I want. I am not sure it will be the same here in Europe. The other day in Chamonix, there were so SO many vans from all over, NL, UK, IRL, Belgium, Spain, and more countries that were parked so close one to another because there isn't any space !!!

Not quite so true. Not at all "fair". Many (most?) people outside this country can distinguish between TV, YouTube, and real life - unlike many (most?) Americans who have nearly zero knowledge about anything (reality or entertainment) other than the U.S.

Sad, but true. We have no idea what is going on in the rest of the world, but they are generally pretty well-informed about what is going on here.

And the argument "Oh yeah? Well neither do they" is the type of schoolyard "bravado" that is often associated with under-educated Americans. It holds up well - as long as it is not tested. Let's not go there.
it is very easy to generalize and to disappoint people, then when often, we say something and then we realize "oh I didn't mean it that way" and by the time, one said so, there was a long bla bla bla ...

It doesn't matter if they are Americans, Belgians, Australians or Argentinians, some know more, some are less informed, most likely because they have other priorities, that's all...

Hi -

I don't think she is thinking about using the van in the U.S. at least that is not mentioned in her post. And, yes, European electricity is different than the U.S. version - so - it would not be compatible.

In the USA cannot at the moment, most likely in 6 years time, when I retire. I am planning to spend there at least 9 months, well longer will be complicated, with my passport I can only stay 3 months, then, after the first 3 months to Canada, then, the next 3 months to Mexico... that makes over 9 months possible stay, adding some Canada and Mexico time...

In the USA cannot at the moment, most likely in 6 years time, when I retire. I am planning to spend there at least 9 months, well longer will be complicated, with my passport I can only stay 3 months, then, after the first 3 months to Canada, then, the next 3 months to Mexico... that makes over 9 months possible stay, adding some Canada and Mexico time...
You might add in Ecuador for three months. I have never visited there but I understand that it is very nice.

You might add in Ecuador for three months. I have never visited there but I understand that it is very nice.
well since I am 18 years old (now 58), one of my dreams back then, was to travel from Argentina (where I am from, where I was back then) to Alaska and back?