Switzerland full time RV

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Monica99

Reaction score
Hello,

I am very new here and I am looking for some advise because I've purchased a LEVOYAGEUR LVX 8  INTEGRIERT Mercedes-Benz 461 CDI from 2004 and about 90000 Km and I am planning to live there or at least most of the time.

I gather this is an American forum but here in Europe I haven't found any. I was just wondering if any of you had been RV living in Europe as well. I found out that in Switzerland wild camping is prohibited and if I leave the RV in a permitted parking, I was told I am not allowed to stay inside. Basically the only "legal" way would only be in a camping. Here they are extremely expensive and having said that I think that in a year or 2 I'll ship the RV to America where I can see that you can do wild camping freely anywhere... luck you!

Basically I don't know anyone that has done RV full-time nor part time. I only rented an RV like 12 years ago when my kids where young and I loved the experience. 

I have no clue how things will go but I guess it will be OK. I am happy to see your active forum and it feels good to see people helping each other. 

Any advise very welcome and looking forward to hearing from you!
best regards,
Monica

Welcome Monica! Nice RV you have there (I like European styling)! Perfect size I wouldn't mind owning! Our continent is so vast and getting less wild by the year. Some RVs here can be relatively inexpensive. It's all in searching and knowing which brands are best and ones that are taken care of. Best of luck to you!

Welcome to the CRVL forums Monica! As far as I know, we don't have any members who live in or have RVed in Switzerland so you may not get many suggestions. However, as you have seen we can wild camp in many areas of the US so please come visit us!

To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips & Tricks" post lists some helpful information to get you started. We look forward to hearing more from you.

OK you are welcome born in Rotterdam and transplanted to San Francisco I will assist you

wagoneer said:
OK you are welcome born in Rotterdam and transplanted to San Francisco I will assist you

Thanks for your info. Born in Patagonia and "transplanted" (as you said  ;)  ) in London, Hamburg, Trier, Luxembourg, France and inevitability Switzerland.
I'll get the RV in about 10 days and I can't wait but also to be honest I feel a mixture of excitement with little fear...

CautionToTheWind said:
Welcome Monica! Nice RV you have there (I like European styling)! Perfect size I wouldn't mind owning! Our continent is so vast and getting less wild by the year. Some RVs here can be relatively inexpensive. It's all in searching and knowing which brands are best and ones that are taken care of. Best of luck to you!
Thank you for your note. I guess in the USA you have so many more RV brand, types and sizes than here. Before buying it I spent some time on the internet and then visited one shop near Bern. The week after I visited the one in Lausanne, I went into the RV and immediately after I felt something good, as if this was the right thing to do in my life.

rvwandering said:
Welcome to the CRVL forums Monica!  As far as I know, we don't have any members who live in or have RVed in Switzerland so you may not get many suggestions. However, as you have seen we can wild camp in many areas of the US so please come visit us!

To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips & Tricks" post lists some helpful information to get you started.   We look forward to hearing more from you.

Thanks good to know I am so far the first member from Switzerland, may be one day soon there will be more -hope so  :D

I really can't wait to do the RV life (more than here) in your country where wild camping is permitted because nobody owns the planet  :rolleyes:

Nelda said:
This may help.  I have a personal friend that has shipped his van from the United States to Europe to travel.  Here is the link.
http://roadtreking.com/category/guest-bloggers/campskunk-guest-bloggers/

That's phantastic, thanks for the link! I'll check that out. Saw the other day a site that let me calculate the shipping price depending on the RV's volume and it costs like € 2900.- really expensive.
Thanks again  :rolleyes:

Hi Monica,

Welcome!  If you will enable your Private Messaging, then I will be able to respond to your private message.  

Doc B

Best of luck Monica99! It sounds like you are about to embark on some exciting adventures!

Welcome aboard Monica!

Would other countries nearby be less restrictive about permitting camping/living in your vehicle?
The beauty of living on wheels is you can take your home wherever the best camping is!

Good morning Monica,

I tried to responde to your Private Message yesterday; however it seems that you must enable receiving private messaging on your account.  Once done, I can respond to your PM.

In the meantime, I will be headed overseas again in August.  Perhaps our paths might cross with some planning!

Doc B

Hola DocB,
I didn't know my Private Messaging was blocked... I've looked it up and didn't find the "enable" button... I'll check that once again :)

rvpopeye said:
Welcome aboard Monica!

Would other countries nearby be less restrictive about permitting camping/living in your vehicle?
The beauty of living on wheels is you can take your home wherever the best camping is!
Hola Popeye,
nice name you have! I think Spain are a lot more relaxed and the French should not be too bad. My plan is when I work near Geneva, to stay then in the French border, there is one big parking that belongs to a Lebanese restaurant and they are easy going.

The Critic said:
Best of luck Monica99! It sounds like you are about to embark on some exciting adventures!

Thanks! yes, I feel like a 10 years old with a new bike that can go anywhere .... ahahahah

Monica,  to enable PM, go to your Profile, click on Edit Options, then allow to receive Private Messages.