SUV collapsible platform

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MagMary

Reaction score
I’m not going full-time for another 22 months.  I’ve been making notes of things I might need, etc. I’m planning on getting a SUV to travel in and just saw this, which I thought was pretty cool. It’s expensive at $490 and I don’t know yet if I’d be able to afford, but it would save me a lot of work and possibly money. www.notelusa.com. I wouldn’t need to do a conversion or take out seats. Thoughts?

I wonder how long the center console will hold up supporting your weight? Unless I am missing something on the inboard support system.

My advice is to go as simple and as cheap as possible. Buy very little until you actually have your SUV and have taken some trial trips to decide what will work for you. The NOTEL looks like a cool idea but it's expensive. Watch some YouTube videos of simple SUV builds for similar ideas before doing anything.

With a few looks at different angles of the original design , you could make your own out of inexpensive materials (less than $100). It looks like nothing more than a supported platform that you could mount a few hinged, folding 2x4 legs.

MagMary said:
 . . . www.notelusa.com. I wouldn’t need to do a conversion or take out seats. Thoughts?

My 2¢:

It might be an adequate solution for someone traveling for a few days but not longer.
 - No headroom; looks cramped.
 - You have to crawl in and out of the truck.
 - Lots of wasted storage space (seats you aren't using).
 - Setting up and taking down every day (or blocked visibility on the passenger side).

It's not hard to take seats out and make a bed using plastic totes with a mattress on top; add a plywood base if you like.

I actually have one. I don't recommend the company. The first one I got had a couple busted zip ties that held the braces to the platform. They promised to send me a new 'improved" version, which took several months to arrive after badgering them. The new one is better. It is supported in middle by truck console. Im currently trying to figure out how to set it up in my new minivan so I don't feel like I wasted my money.

MagMary said:
. I wouldn’t need to do a conversion or take out seats. Thoughts?
By looking at some of the proportions in those snapshots, the models look like they are less than 5' tall. Consider your height for comfortable sleeping. Interesting product for 1 or 2 nights but your cutting your living space in 1/2 horizontally.  Dont know if this is full time functional. Good luck on your decision.

In my Ford Excursion, the rear seat is completely removable, while the middle seat folds flat into the floor. Not sure why you don't do this, and throw down a 4" thick foam pad, and then your sleeping bag....The only expense is the foam pad, which you will need even with the Notel platform also.

Thanks all for your thoughts and advice!

I’m not planning on getting anything until summer 2022; just looking at different ideas and jotting stuff down. I bet I’ll have a long list before I go full time and I’ll have to scratch most of it off. LOL!

Accidental Overlander - thanks for the review!
Ckelly78z - That’s another option I’ve thought of as well. Don’t know yet what type SUV I’ll be getting though.

Patience is not my best virtue! I want to be on the road now! Still have to work and save up $ though. I can say that I am totally debt free now though. That feels soooo good! ?

I always put all the seats down and determine if I can lay flat before buying a car. LOL, the salesman is trying to show me stuff under the hood and I am stretched out instead in the back of the vehicle.

My RAV4 rear seats fold into the floor, giving me a flat cargo area. I just put a folding chaise lounge there and then tried different mats, toppers, etc. until it was comfy. It also gives me underbed storage and raises me off the floor for better ventilation at window level. I can remove it from the car and use it to lounge outside at the campsite.

You could buy a Jackery 500 for that same amount of money instead of the Notel and solve your electric needs.