summer LTVA's

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
GG, there is a thread here called camping at Quartzsite. Freelander started the thread with questions about La Posa South. If you read the whole thread, you'll see who was there last winter and what we did and probably even see that there were complaints about gusty wind and some cold temps.

G0ldengirl68 said:
With no way of keeping cool I doubt I could do it unless you are talking Winter months.  Isn't La Paso close to you?  I didn't check the distance, but seem to be close enough so I could visit.  Maybe I better check that map again ;)  I'm sorry I get so confused about things, but you mean LTVAs will let you stay if you are not self-contained as long as you are within, what was it, 500 feet of a toilet.  That's ok as long as I get lucky on a parking spot ;)

I'd really like to see how doug build his own "watering" hole ;)

Yes, winter months in Quartzsite. Might be a little cool for you since you said you like it pretty hot. It’s in Arizona. In the summer months I’m across the country in Kentucky.

Yes, you can camp at the LTVA as long as you are near a toilet.

Cammalu said:
Yes, winter months in Quartzsite. Might be a little cool for you since you said you like it pretty hot. It’s in Arizona. In the summer months I’m across the country in Kentucky.

Yes, you can camp at the LTVA as long as you are near a toilet.
Ok, I got that right now, I get confused with Summer really being too hot, and Winter, not as hot.  I was in Phoenix area last November and it was lovely!!  I walked every evening and the air was so fresh, and the stars were so bright, even with the light pollution from Apache Junction/Mesa.  I think it's heavenly there, and can't wait to be there on my own.  It was hard staying with old friends that have changed so much, or maybe I have, whatever it was a chance to experience AZ in I think, the best of the year.  But that was just for a week ;)

I just want to clear this up a little I don't know if anybody is confused but,

The summer and winter LTVA's are in two totally different areas.

The winter LTVA's are mostly in the Lower Colorado river Valley or just beyond it in Arizona and California.

The Summer LTVA's are in the Eastern Sierra in California.

The cost is different and so are the rules. This thread was started to answer questions about the summer LTVA's because All the info being posted was for the winter LTVA's. There are several threads about the winter LTVA's, because they are much more popular.

Just wanted to clear that up.

Highdesertranger

Ravella and X said:
GG, there is a thread here called camping at Quartzsite. Freelander started the thread with questions about La Posa South. If you read the whole thread, you'll see who was there last winter and what we did and probably even see that there were complaints about gusty wind and some cold temps.
I think I could handle it being around people that are living.  It can't be as often as here, I'm not exaggerating when I say, last Summer we had 3 weeks maybe of above 70 and no wind.  I really don't like coastal weather this far North.  When I was a kid, I grew up in Douglas County Oregon, hot and humid, not as humid as our South, but humid.  I have so many memories and I want to live there in the Summer, camping, and AZ in Winter.  At least try it out so I can either get it out of my system and realize it isn't for me, or, love it as much as I think I will.

I worked my whole life, just did a lot of jobs, with only one time being out of work for a year.  I didn't make big bucks, and so ended up on my SS with no 401k, nothing else, and my SS won't support me without government help.  I don't want the help, I want and have for 6 years wanted to live on my SS alone.  This is a way I can actually do that.  It isn't just pride for myself, but I love my country, and don't want to be a burden on it. The money I'm not takeing/accepting might help someone who truly can't make it another way.

There I go, getting windy myself again ;)  I guess I'm hungry for good conversation, and when I walk my dog around I so look forward to seeing other people actually out doors once in awhile, maybe a visit around a campfire.  Camping is something I hated ever coming home from.  Maybe I won't have to anymore :heart:

G0ldengirl68 said:
With no way of keeping cool I doubt I could do it unless you are talking Winter months.  Isn't La Paso close to you?  I didn't check the distance, but seem to be close enough so I could visit.  Maybe I better check that map again ;)  I'm sorry I get so confused about things, but you mean LTVAs will let you stay if you are not self-contained as long as you are within, what was it, 500 feet of a toilet.  That's ok as long as I get lucky on a parking spot ;) 

I'd really like to see how doug build his own "watering" hole ;)

Yup. How lucky you are depends on when you arrive. It's easier if you avoid arriving in January. Once you have your place staked out, most people will respect it. I've never had any issues, but I've certainly heard a few stories.

What I really don't get is the fully self-contained rigs who nevertheless want to be close to the vault toilets...

jacqueg said:
What I really don't get is the fully self-contained rigs who nevertheless want to be close to the vault toilets...

It's the ambience.

I used to use the BLM campgrounds you're referring to on a regular basis, but just for a day or two when passing through. I always liked them and at least when I was there they were not crowded. Could usually have an area to myself. But the last time was 2006. High Desert, view of the Sierra Nevada on one side and the white Mountains in Nevada on the other. Creeks run out of the Sierras and look small, but great fresh water and I've caught decent size trout out of them. Potable water faucets and pit toilets. Most people from the LA area, the majority of recreational campers, want to camp up in the mountains or start a backpacking trip at one of the trailheads into the Sierra. So for the most part in my experience, these are not popular, but a rather pleasant place to stay. Around 4,000 ft altitude, which can get very hot in the summer. But altitude makes a nice difference between being in sun vs in shade. Very low humidity. If you have a jeep there are some wonderful old mining roads that lead to some great remote camps in the mountains nearby. Serious 4WD though.

It's hot in the Bishop area during summer. Not as a hot as Winterhaven, but usually in the 90s, with some days above 100. I was there end of July.

Outside of the LTVAs, the Bishop area BLM (runs from Ridgecrest, CA north to Topaz Lake, NV) allows only 14 nights a year.

Right now, with big wildfires in the area, all the National Forests in California (except for the little bit of the Humbolt-Tioyabe NF near Bridgeport) are shut down until at least the middle of September. No camping, no hiking, no driving on the roads, nothing. It's up to a $5,000.00 fine and 6 months in jail if you're caught. As a result, all the BLM areas along the US-395 corridor are packed—especially since it's Labor Day weekend. I just left there this morning and now I'm in eastern Nevada.

I wonder if Bishop BLM will be enforcing the 14 night annual limit in the packed non-LTVA areas.

wayne49 said:
I wonder if Bishop BLM will be enforcing the 14 night annual limit in the packed non-LTVA areas.

You could ask them.  [font=Roboto,]760-872-5000[/font]