Summer destination?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grizzly708

Reaction score
What is your summer travel plans when AZ gets too hot?

Destination? Singular? Not me. I travel all around the West. I haven't been to the Pacific Northwest in a few years, so it might be time to go back.

I have two guidelines, weather & crowds. With summer vacation in full swing, I factor in midweek travel if I want to plug in at a state park as a reservation system may be predominantly used and I don't make reservations, just grab one of the "walk-in" sites. Otherwise I avoid the traditionally popular locations, using those areas during the other three seasons. I've always been flexible & spontaneous and believe that to be helpful, as compared to having a schedule or too rigid a plan. There are times though that I'll stuff the guidelines, and I may or may not regret it.

Get high!!! Look at going high into the mountains were it is much cooler. You don't have to go far, just go up.

May and June are very busy for me, with a lot of long days and six to seven day work weeks. Then July rolls around and my schedule slacks off a bit, dropping to seven nights a week along with the occasional day, but much shorter hours from early July to early September, so I'll be sticking close to my home territory in south Orange County, California.

I will head back home to Massachusetts and do seasonal camping for the summer.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Leaving in 2 weeks for Oregon. A little early for summer but I really don't like western AZ

DuneElliot said:
Leaving in 2 weeks for Oregon. A little early for summer but I really don't like western AZ

What don't you like about it?

This summer will be my "Civil War Tour"--I'm planning on a swing through Georgia, South and North Carolina, and Virginia to see as many Revolutionary and Civil War battlefields as I can.

lenny flank said:
This summer will be my "Civil War Tour"--I'm planning on a swing through Georgia, South and North Carolina, and Virginia to see as many Revolutionary and Civil War battlefields as I can.

Be sure to stop at Gettysburg.  I have kin buried there from that battle.

Colonial Williamsburg, Jamestown and Yorktown are all very close to each other, although only one is a battlefield. I loved to visit than as a child. I grew up in the area.

As a Canadian, I have to go home and do my time so I can keep collecting my government paycheques.... :D 

While I'd love to spend the summer travelling, at least for the next couple of years I will be finding summer employment...gotta get rid of that new mortgage in a hurry. And besides, I make a terrible beach bum... :rolleyes: 

Spring and fall are travel times for me but choosing places that are warm enough in October and April can be a bit difficult!

Grizzly708 said:
What don't you like about it?

No rain, no trees, no water. Everything is yellow and looks dead. I know some people find the desert beautiful...I'm not one of them (S. Utah desert is pretty, but not western AZ). I find it very depressing and soul-sucking. Part of it is the job I have here, but no point in trying to find another one if I was planning to leave in a couple of months anyway.

I'm not much on desert either but since I bought this UTV and can really get way out there I've found some really nice places.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk