street parking

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morgana

Reaction score
OK I know this is a very non-vanliving question but if you could have the generosity to overlook that I'd be really grateful and interested in your thoughts. It's also probably kind of a dumb question but I have no clue of the answer.

So I might have a shot at an affordable apartment that is ideal in most ways but does not have off-street parking. Is street parking a reasonable risk? I mean, it's a thing normal people do, right? I've just never had to do it and it worries me. I'm having trouble being realistic about how much of a risk it really is (compared to parking in the open just a few feet from the street, which is what most off-street parking consists of in my price bracket).

Thanks for any thoughts!

As I get older and start looking at moving into town the big consideration for me is if I will out live my ability or desire to drive. Most on street parking in populated areas is parallel parking. Backing up is where a lot of older people have problems and cause accidents to happen. Accepting the fact I probably won’t have the physical or mental capability to drive safely in a few years makes me look at alternate means of getting where I need to be. Tucson has hundreds of miles of bike paths and sidewalks that are handicap accessible. A small 3 wheel electric bicycle that fits easily through doorways, taken in stores and can be parked inside if on a ground floor or if an elevator is present I believe would work well for me as the VA provides transportation most of the time to doctor appointments. If I’m gonna live in town where parking is a concern I’ll just stay healthy riding a bike or use some form of public transportation. Years ago I used to have to go shopping on weekends in Gallup New Mexico where I was warned not to park on the streets as a lot of drunks would be driving old trucks with no brakes and get stopped by sideswiping parked vehicles to get slowed down enough to use the emergency brake. After seeing that happen once I got an old truck and quit parking on the street! Lol!!!

Last edited:
oh yeah parallel parking o_O I had a feeling I was overlooking something

It depends on where you are looking to live, in my opinion.

I would get online with the police department in the area this apartment is located in, and look at police activity for your street.

That will tell you a lot about risk, even if there was off street parking.

Last edited:

I would get online with the police department in the area this apartment is located in, and look at police activity for your street.

That will tell you a lot about risk, even if there was offstreetmparking.
Yes, I've done that. In fact, Morgana, if you are looking at moving into an apartment complex, you can ask the police about the complex as well. Just about all police departments have someone who serves, at least part-time, as a community liaison contact. They'll tell you.

Theft is the biggest thing in low income or affordable housing. Not the whole car, but the stuff in the car. Keep your stuff inside the apartment and it should be fine.

.....I would get online with the police department in the area this apartment is located in, and look at police activity for your street.....
Yes, talk with the police. They should have statistics about crime down to specific addresses and types of crime. And they can tell you how often you need to move your vehicle. They may even be able to tell you how difficult it is to find a parking spot.

Another possible source of information is your insurance agent. Insurance companies share risk information and they should know for your address.

And, you know, with affordable housing sometimes comes things you would prefer not to deal with, and only you can know where your threshold lies.

I live in the small house I raised my kids in, in the “low rent district”, because it allows me to have a life in retirement that I would not with a mortgage and higher property taxes.

It is safe, but less than perfect, and that is okay with me. ☺️

OK it's not that affordable ... it's actually at my high-end limit even with the landlord bringing it down some ... these days so much of what I'm seeing is literally three times what I could afford (although I do get the impression that the insane post-Covid market is finally cooling a little bit -- I'm not as shell-shocked as I was last year in South TX). I just meant literally affordable by me.

And yeah, it's pretty much a given that any housing affordable by me will come with a few things I don't like. Safe/clean[able]/quiet is my holy trinity.

Especially safe! Once I paid the rent+deposit on a place without checking whether the front door locked. It didn't. The landlady said "no worries, locks only keep honest people out." By the time I got a lock and key I was on her S-list. Never been that dumb again. But there's always something.

Assuming you have the safe and affordable covered, I can address the parking.

It is very dependent on specific area and even the specific streets. I have done street parking for years. Where I'm at it clears up in the morning when people leave for work and school kid delivery.

Most areas allow you to have your vehicle parked in the same spot for 3 days before you get a notice. Not a ticket. Sometimes longer. If you don't plan on driving a lot, just plan on running errands during peak people gone doing things times.

Where I'm at there is usually an open spot here and there. Occasionally you have to park a little further out and walk to your place. For me, it's inconvenient for sure, but it's the price of saving on rent.

A couple blocks away there is so little parking that people basically double Park with hazard lights on waiting for a spot to open. That would be a major inconvenience. One I'm not sure I would want to deal with.

If you plan on keeping your van as your daily driver, get a backup camera, and practice with it. It does help a lot.

In summary; if you don't mind a small walk at times, you should be ok. Get a foldable cart for groceries if you can't park close.

If you need more info or whatnot let me know. I've been living this situation for 7 years lol.

Quiz the residents of the complex for their experience with the area.

See if there are any self-storage businesses nearby that you could rent at a reasonable cost.

Checking with police to see if it's a secure place would still apply.

Or maybe a private parking space/garage you could find on Craigslist.

As I get older and start looking at moving into town the big consideration for me is if I will out live my ability or desire to drive. Tucson has hundreds of miles of bike paths and sidewalks that are handicap accessible.
Not totally on topic for this thread, I know, but I have been pretty interested in Tucson, too. It does look like issues with trash and crime have increased quite a bit recently, though. I hope to visit soon.

As far as on the street parking goes, my van was hit in the wee hours, on a cul de sac, no less.

I lived and drove a full size and an alternative school short bus in Eastern Kentucky for several years. Coming from there parking, trash and crime resulting from extreme poverty most places out west is nothing. Tucson is about as big a city as I visit though and usually stay on the outskirts of town.

That will tell you a lot about risk, even if there was off street parking.
Oh good thinking !!! :)