Stranded

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Seajatt

Reaction score
I'm one of the people that had booked their flight through southwest. And that situation has gone entirely fubar. Can't reach anyone on the phone, delays, cancelation and hours long lines. I'm stuck in Midland, Tx. Anyone else stranded?

I'm one of the people that had booked their flight through southwest. And that situation has gone entirely fubar. Can't reach anyone on the phone, delays, cancelation and hours long lines. I'm stuck in Midland, Tx. Anyone else stranded?
No but I feel for you. Waiting around with cancelled flights is misery.

I heard this as well. I'm hearing that they are not really cancelling the flight, they are using your plane to transport stranded passengers.

Try traveling / living from a vehicle. There’s internet sites that explain all about it.
Sayin……
Ok I’ll see myself out.
intjonny boi luzsha

So apt. My flight was on the 26th, that was then pushed to the 29th. Now its been pushed to the 31st.

Where are you flying to? Are you stuck in Midland for 3 days with nothing but your bags? Do you even have those? Did they put you up in a room?

Where are you flying to? Are you stuck in Midland for 3 days with nothing but your bags? Do you even have those? Did they put you up in a room?
I'm trying to get to tampa. I luckily have my bags and they had put me in a hotel, but currently fighting with them to get my voucher extended since they pushed my flight back

I hope you won't be stuck in the airport this whole time??
Here's a pretty convincing "why this happened" analysis from CNN:
https://lite.cnn.com/en/article/h_5a0a1f68283f91845b311c7ecbfb8762
It won't make you gnash your teeth any less, but it could pass some time ...
Hang in there! I hope when this is over they give you a lifetime free travel pass.
I had read that and found it interesting. I wonder what the aftermath of this will mean for southwest.

Federal government has written assurances the airlines will provide better customer services in writing from the airlines. Be sure to file a complaint on the government site as well as the airline’s site if you have difficulty getting helped.

Federal government has written assurances the airlines will provide better customer services in writing from the airlines. Be sure to file a complaint on the government site as well as the airline’s site if you have difficulty getting helped.
Oh I intend to, corporate greed at the top created this entirely preventable situation

It seems like every few years we deal with the "holiday travelers stranded due to snow" stories.

Hell, a few years ago I drove up to lake arrowhead for Thanksgiving and was snowed in without power for 4 days.

I think anytime someone is traveling for the holidays, they should plan on it being one of those years, or plan around it.

The situation really sucks. And I feel badly for people that are stranded and the impact of that. But it can't be a surprise to anyone over the age of 12 when it happens.

That being said, Southwest needs to get their crap together and deserves every slap they get along the way. Their model works for most of the year. But like I said, a 12 year old knows this happens every 3-5 years. So while passengers should plan accordingly, the airlines that depends on their business should plan even better.

If you like the hotel and feel like it's an extended vacation then stick around. If they offer to comp you a rental car then drive home. At least your baggage isn't in another state.

The problem appears to have affected Southwest Airlines more so than other airlines and is still causing problems for them while the other airlines are getting back to normal according to the press releases.

Save your receipts, whatever you do.
Even if they can't sort stuff out right away, there's going to be a lot of pressure on them to make good on this once the initial crisis is past.

If you're still struggling to get through to Southwest customer service, one piece of advice I saw was to try their international numbers. (Of course, if that advice has been up for more than 10 minutes, the international numbers are probably swamped now too.)

Good luck and keep us posted!

I saw in the news that Southwest will be reimbursing stranded travelers for 'reasonable' expenses for alternate methods of travel and related costs, such as hotels and meals. So...keep those receipts!

I would think that one of the van lifers might be around Midland Tx and can take you somewhere on their path or help out in some creative way. Are you still there?

I believe I'd rent a car to Tampa, or buy a bus ticket.

Chaulk it up to 'shit happens'.
I had looked into greyhound tickets, but they were all booked up. And restrictions had been placed on rental cars due to demand.