Still trying to figure out bed in my car

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Where two plywood panels meet.........Overlap the pieces and drill two holes for a couple bolts and wingnuts

A piece of 1/4” plywood glued to a hollow core door is what I use for bed platforms. Super strong and light weight as well as cheap if you get a damaged or used door. Hollow core doors with only “Poor Mans Fiberglass” works well in places you would normally use 1/2” plywood like walls ot cabinets. $5 to $15 in many cases for an 80” x 24” - 36” hollow core door saves a lot of building costs. My entire trailer camper portion is built out of them! Wooden dowels, metal clamps or even ratchet straps can be used to hold milk crates or totes, just use you imagination and experiment.
Thanks for that idea. That sounds good, and very ingenious for your camper build. Lightweight and very sturdy. But for me doesn't work right now because it would not fold flat into a small space such as the cargo area in a CRV.

I think a hollow core door ( or more than one as you have done) would be great for a more permanent build where you don't need to take it down into a small space. I suspect I could do without the plywood entirely and just sleep on a pad on the raised door. But that will be an idea I save for possible future use if I have a different vehicle with more space and want to spend more time living in it.

Where two plywood panels meet.........Overlap the pieces and drill two holes for a couple bolts and wingnuts
sure.....but then you have bumps in your platform at those connecting places, with one on top of the one next to it, rather than a flat smooth surface, right?

I was thinking maybe drill 2 holes at each end of the pieces that need to be connected, use zip ties to connect them. When needing to take apart, cut zip ties. They are so cheap one could travel with a bunch of them. And they wouldn't be felt under the foam pad.

If I used sections of 2X4s for the legs I could drill a hole through the platform into the leg and just drop a pin of some kind in there. But as light as I am I don't think I need 2X4 legs. PVC would work for legs if I figure out a way to make the legs detachable.

(I should maybe post with a photo when I get it done, after all of the help I have received here!)

Over the years I have spent a lot of hours in hardware store and also making things. Your concept is fine but you need the right pieces that are a stronger type of schedule 40 PVC to make it last without risk of fracturing the plastic from side loads. You can have wide “feet” (floor flange fittings) for the floor and also use those same type of fitting attached to the underside of your platform plywood. You do not have to glue in the tubes , instead leave them unglued as a tight slip fit so you can twist them out of the socket. Be sure you use schedule 80 tubing, get color, as it is the correct diameter to fit into the floor flanges shown in the photo below.

You can make 2 smaller sized plywood platforms and keep them joined together while in use with Draw Latches on the underside of the boards. Draw latches are a very basic hardware store item, often used for tables that have extra leaves to hold the table top sections together. The one in the photo below is from Rockler dot com.

Attachments

• BDC18B37-2DAB-40D5-BE61-488A01A47A38.jpeg
    BDC18B37-2DAB-40D5-BE61-488A01A47A38.jpeg
    76 KB · Views: 0
  • 4C0A089E-5FA2-4481-B1DB-8BF77E9B8F1C.png
    4C0A089E-5FA2-4481-B1DB-8BF77E9B8F1C.png
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
My apologies I made a typo in the posting above and wrote schedule 40 pvc instead of stating the correct type which is schedule 80.

Mod edit of the original post to change 40 to 80

Thank you Maki2. It looks as though that would work.
I like the draw latch to hold the pieces together. Could be on the underside, and very easy to put together and undo.
The feet would of course stabilize the PVC on the floor of the car.

Don't know yet if it will be 2 pieces or three for the platform.
My next step is to get large pieces of cardboard and make a model to try out in the car as a template. See if how fits in the car and how it would be if in 2 pieces or in 3.
Thanks again.

I'm not sure how handy you are, but I went looking for camper ideas for my Sienna and found this camper kit site. Maybe you could build something similar? These particular ones are pretty complex looking but I have a feeling it could be simplified a whole lot and still create a bed that's lighter weight than full plywood and easy to break down.

When I would camp in my Prius, I would lie on the folded seat and put a cooler right behind the passenger seat with a cushion and pillow on top, extending my sleeping space. Just saying, don't rule out the idea of making your other "furniture" multitask as a bed - you won't need it for anything else while you're asleep!

thank you thebarefootbadger. That kit is amazing, and obviously for the rich!

I think the only thing I am going to make in the way of furniture is the bed, because I have very limited space and no need for anything else. However, I have thought a lot about pieces that could be multi-functional in case i ever have a van with enough space for that.

I plan to put the bed behind the passenger seat and leave the larger section of the back seat up for my dogs. I'd use the larger section for the bed but it's behind the driver's seat, and one thing important to me is to be able to jump from being in bed to being in the driver's seat quickly and without folding bed or moving the seat back. So it's going to be a narrow bed but I am a narrow person. :)

I have great admiration for people who manage to sleep and even live in their Prius. That takes a lot of ingenuity, even if you are a small person.

hello everyone, may I pick your brains for moment?

I have a CRV, going to put a bed in the back for travelling and car camping. I am limited in length to about 67" for the bed, which is fine because I am only 66" tall and am narrow, so the width can be 24 to 26".

I need to have something lightweight for the bed platform, and that can be folded up or dismantled and stowed in the cargo area in case I need to use the back seats but still have the platform with me.
My back seats don't fold flat so I will need to adjust to make it level. I also need to be able to put things underneath it while travelling. The front end would rest on the folded-up seat, the back end raised to make it level.

So far 2 things I am considering: a platform of 1/2" plywood that is in three sections that could stack on top of each other to store and be easier to manage than one big piece. This would need removable legs (for storing) or a way to support the platform without legs that still left room underneath it. While the whole thing could be supported on bins, my concern is what if I needed to put something under it that did not fit into a bin.
Or, I could use a camping cot, even lighter and some of them store very compactly which would be even better.

Many cots have too many legs, making storage underneath impossible. And most are too long at 72 to 74".

I am interested in your thoughts. Any cot you can recommend to me short enough and without a lot of legs under it? Or, suggestions about the plywood? Or any other ideas for the compact platform I have not considered.
thanks so much for any replies.
I'm afraid I'm no help at this point but thanks cuz I'm VERY new and am just beginning a SUV buildup with figuring out how far to go developing place to sleep. So I'll be following this a bit. Your inspiring, Tx

...making your other "furniture" multitask as a bed - you won't need it for anything else while you're asleep!
re -- multi-tasking.

Exactly!, Precisely!, Absolutely!
Extending the concept to a 'multi-purpose room':
Our interior is three paces across by seven paces long.
At different times, this cubic area is a:
* galley
* dining room with ambiance
* changing room
* dog play-space
* 'bodily-function' spot
* atrium
* meditation zone
* workshop with tools
* etcetera as the urge strikes.
Designing our rig, we avoided structuring:
* a permanent bedroom over there behind this door, and
* a bathroom in here behind this door, and
* a permanent kitchen modeled after a stand-still house, and
* a permanent dinette area, and and and.
A multi-purpose room multi-tasks.
I welcome your rebuttal.

Make your platform in three sections. On the bottom of those sections, add hinges like adding it replacing a table leaf.

Maybe something like this to pull the three pieces together, with one part on on each section. That way you can tighten and release quickly. Obviously mounted in the bottom.

12Pieces Table Leaf Hardware, Metal Dining Training Table Buckles Connectors, Heavy Duty Expandable Table Leaf Locks for Table, Wooden Case, Cabinets, Drawers, Cupboards, Brass Plated https://a.co/d/czj6Y8s

Mount these one piece slides and supports the one connect. Screws on one side screws on the other with a quick release type head. Screws top and bottom on one side dowels on the other piece.

6 Pcs 7⅛ inches Length Slotted Internal
Connector for Inner Wide 1-5/8" U Steel
Cable Ladder Channel,2.6mm Thickness U Shaped Splice Clevis Fixings Bracket https://a.co/d/9tUqQYT

Add this to above steel connector underneath using these. These would be the supports for the legs, which could be standard 4" PVC like mentioned above. Use the strong one

Snap Clamp 1/2 Inch X 4 Inches Wide For 1/2 PVC Pipe White 10 per Bag https://a.co/d/6SmIvup

There are a few other ideas I can add. But this would make it fit together well, make it easy to take it apart and store and put together. You can use other parts and adjust the ideas. But this would create 3 stackable pieces.

I think you'll need to get a small vacuum pump and a vacuum seal bag to minimize the space the topper and bedding material. Something 12v would work just fine. Maybe one for an air mattress. If your do this setup, the bedding and mattress will take up more space than the bed itself

I hope this helps.

That wasn't as clear as it seemed when I wrote it out. Auto correct got me a few times in the above post lol.

If you have questions regarding it let me know.

I know you probably got this taken care of by now, but I thought if not for you, maybe some help for someone else. www.honeycando.com https://honeycando.com/collections/...et-organizer-with-basket-and-adjustable-shelf has this and I believe you can get them, or similar at Menards or other home improvement/retail stores. This type used for a bed base would allow placing a plywood sheet cut to your needs on top and just use the unit itself for legs so to say. Also, with the linked one, you get the basket, too. for organized storage. All the best to everyone out there. Take care.

I have a CRV, going to put a bed in the back for travelling and car camping. I am limited in length to about 67" for the bed, which is fine because I am only 66" tall and am narrow, so the width can be 24 to 26".

I need to have something lightweight for the bed platform, and that can be folded up or dismantled and stowed in the cargo area in case I need to use the back seats but still have the platform with me.
My back seats don't fold flat so I will need to adjust to make it level. I also need to be able to put things underneath it while travelling. The front end would rest on the folded-up seat, the back end raised to make it level.

So far 2 things I am considering: a platform of 1/2" plywood that is in three sections that could stack on top of each other to store and be easier to manage than one big piece. This would need removable legs (for storing) or a way to support the platform without legs that still left room underneath it. While the whole thing could be supported on bins, my concern is what if I needed to put something under it that did not fit into a bin.
Or, I could use a camping cot, even lighter and some of them store very compactly which would be even better.

Many cots have too many legs, making storage underneath impossible. And most are too long at 72 to 74".

I am interested in your thoughts. Any cot you can recommend to me short enough and without a lot of legs under it? Or, suggestions about the plywood? Or any other ideas for the compact platform I have not considered.

Here is a link to an item used by someone who has a 2020 CRV and it comes in two lengths. The shorter length of 162 cm/63.8" long and 4.7'' thick and 27.6 in wide in for $129.99 of the longer one of 167.64cm/66" long and 4.7" thick and 27.6 in. wide for $159.99. They are a chair/lounger/bed. On amazon:

FLOGUOR 42-Position Adjustable Floor Chair, Chaise Lounge Indoor, Folding Lazy Sofa​

Hopes this helps.

Great video on CRV camp set up:

I too have a CRV. I bought a cot on Amazon "Coleman Comfort Smart Cot" for $80 Dec 2022. I wanted something that would have an air space underneath to prevent mold/condensation problems, cot is 15" off of car floor. Bonus the 2 piece heavy duty box it came in...the 2 pieces fit perfectly under the cot and hold a lot ! I did wrap packing tape all around the the sides and slight wrap into the box and bottom, also did the same thing with sticky contact paper to make it even sturdier as I plan on using them for a long time. This cot and mattress are very comfortable, quick to set up and take down, very well made. Took a 500 mile trip last month and slept comfortably and warm in CRV with just a couple of blankets, one night was 30 degrees. Did not need any heat, putting window covers I made of reflectix on one side and black flannel on the other, helped to keep the cold out. I folded the back seats down, layed passenger front seat back to support head of the cot. Almost forgot, put an inexpensive yoga mat between cot and mattress to prevent it sliding off AND use only synthetic sheets, blankets. Cotton holds moisture, if you sweat you'll be cold. Happy Camping !

^^^Poor Man’s Fiberglass will make cardboard boxes last a very long time and they will be pretty much waterproof, I have used them for coolers and sinks!