Staying overnight in Motel/Hotel parking lots

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tony's Dream

Reaction score
I have seen a lot of postings about where to stay when traveling.  I don't recall anyone talking about staying overnight in motel/hotel parking lots.  The lots would be full of out of state cars and a van would blend right in.  They always take down your license plate when you check in, but do they really walk the lot to see if all the vehicles belong to their registered guests?

Some places do walk the lots and some don’t.

Hotel lots are my go to place to park overnight on the road. I stay inside, stealth, and never had a problem.

I have seen this recommended a lot But let's look at it from the other side.

First off the parking lot is private property that is taxed. That tax is paid for by the owner of the motel. The owner pays this tax form rooms they rent out. So I really don't see how they would be happy with this. Correct me if I am wrong.

So I don't believe it's a good idea.

Highdesertranger

You could leave a tip at the front desk as you leave....?

Having worked in the hotel biz and stayed in many for work... I've found that the plate number is primarily used by the hotel in case something happens to your car. If a hotel does have lot patrols, they are not checking every plate to the guest register. Hotels concerned about who belongs in the parking lot usually want a window card indicating you as a guest.

Next time you check into a hotel... say you forgot your plate number... They won't ask you to go look.

I don't see really anything wrong with it when compared to the majority of crap occurring in society. Not everyone is fortunate enough to luxuriate out on blm or other campgrounds.
Many of us have to work in towns and find safe places to exist.

As a former hotel desk employee, I think this is a great choice. The cool thing is if you stayed once a week every week in the hotel lot your rig becomes identified as a regular guest and nobody would bat an eye.

If faced with being rousted at 3 am by the police or by a hotel clerk the choice is a no brainer.

Obviously, not small mom and pop motels where the guests park in front of their room.

I rotated with a couple of corporate hotels around Bridgewater, New Jersey. My vehicle had NJ plates, as this was before my migration to Nevada following the wheel tracks of Bob W. Always lots of vehicles in the lots, but still many empty spots well away from the doors. Would only drive in when I was ready to sack out and would leave upon waking up. No getting out of the van and doing morning sun poses.

sure it is an option. One I would do definitely.

owning an RV tho I don't blend in LOL but we have stopped at a bigger type hotel with big parking lot, walked in and asked if we could park way out and rest for a few hrs and each place said yes. No problem. 'as long as we didn't stay too long' was kinda the main theme of their reply, guess that made them feel better somehow LOL

yea in a van, of course I would use this option if I needed. Not a darn thing wrong with it. People park in parking lots in from of Planet Fitness places and aren't members, cause those places are open 24/7 and use that convenience to be part of that lot etc.....so yea, go for it if you want.

I don’t ever overnight in hotel/motel parking lots these days, tho we did once many years ago.

They are private property, and my late husband was adamantly opposed.

As full and part time vehicle dweller numbers increase, I think it is very important that we all be aware of how our collective numbers may cause increasing restrictions and do our part to not become part of a problem.

Usually there is a shared truck, RV, trailer parking with a 24 hour restaurant. I usually go eat and ask after leaving a good tip. They either say I can stay or tell me where I can. I also have parked in motel overflow lots after asking at the front desk. I have stayed a night and flown out of a local airport leaving my car there for weeks and using the motel's shuttle service with just a $20 tip to the front desk. Many park on the street where parking is allowed, beside the motel with no problems as the motel uses public street parking as well.

yes there are a ton of options where life is not scary ya know, one can park and do their routine.

what is worse is if one works right here and needs daily parking in a bigger area of population cause then you could be on radar.

but heck, roaming the roads and more, yes there are so many options to use when ya need it. It is not doom and gloom out there at all :)

The last motel I stayed in was on the outskirts of town, and a person could easily park on the side street next to the motel. In fact, that's where I parked, because it was closer to my room! There were a number of larger vehicles also parked there. I liked it because it was about as stealthy as I could imagine - parking in plain sight where no private or public cop would ever bother you for parking overnight.

I think it by it self is ok in emergency but I consider it bottom of choices. No restroom no water no privacy no food. I guess you could do laundry there but that's about it . Lots of better choices. Now if it's next door to something you like that's different . Car auctions are lots better . They expect to see people sleeping in cars. 24 hr bathrooms and cheap meals. Also privacy because no one is watching you . You have to figure with all the windows in a hotel there's someone watching you.

“I think it by it self is ok in emergency but I consider it bottom of choices. No restroom no water no privacy no food. I guess you could do laundry there but that's about it.”

Hotels and motels are private property for private and purchased use, and vehicle dwellers staying there without permission are trespassing.

Its not about what you need, personally, but that opting to live in a vehicle does not make private spaces yours for the taking.

IMHO

TMooney said:
....Car auctions are  lots better . They expect to see people sleeping in cars. 24 hr bathrooms and cheap meals. Also privacy because no one is watching you . You have to figure with all the windows in a hotel there's someone watching you.
Here is a link with addresses for So Cal areas car auctions. You may find your next great ride there, or sell your current one.
-crofter

https://m.yelp.com/search?cflt=carauctions&find_loc=Southern+California,+CA

You need a dealers license to but/sell cars at a vehicle auction in California. You can't even get into one if you don't have a dealers license or are not with someone who does. Parking in their lots is very strict in So Cal. Highdesertranger

I actually did this during my trip through Wyoming. I parked in the parking lot around 11:00 PM and stayed until around 7:00 AM the next morning without any issues at all.

highdesertranger said:
You need a dealers license to but/sell cars at a vehicle auction in California.  You can't even get into one if you don't have a dealers license or are not with someone who does.  Parking in their lots is very strict in So Cal.  Highdesertranger
Interesting, the reviews are all by car buyers and sound like individuals not dealers, though one review states that their bid was through someone else. I am sure there is some process to register to bid & get your bidder number if you were interested.

Have never done it, though my dad bought an old grey plymouth with the big fins at a government auction and drove us all to Mexico in it. It was a great car but the tires blew at Bakersfield. I'm sure they put old rags on before it was auctioned.
-crofter

https://www.allpar.com/threads/plym...uscle-to-family-sedan.228767/#post-1085222865

Looks pretty racy in the pics but when painted government grey not so much.

I have stayed in hotel parking lots before but I always go to the front desk and ask for permission and all but once I have been given permission. I do take note of the person's name so if someone does knock on my door to question me I can let them know that I got permission and who gave it to me.