States that recognize mail forwarders

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Optimistic Paranoid

Reaction score
ccbreder said:
A few states recognize mail forwarding companies, but I bet that will change as Home Land decides to be more secure.

It would be nice if we could come up with a current list.  I'm pretty sure that Texas is one of them, certainly the Escapee's Club - which runs one - implies that they are all you need to establish residency in TX and get a driver's license.

If anyone here knows of any others, please post in this thread.

Florida is great to establish residency, in my experience, which dates from 2014.  I don't know if anything has changed.

To be considered a Florida resident, besides an address, you need to register your vehicle there and have a Florida driver's license.  I will get to the vehicle registration form in a moment.  I loved that form and it shows just how understanding and lenient Florida is in these matters.

Registering your vehicle the first time is expensive.  There is an "impact fee" the first year of $225.  Total registration cost for my Class B van was over $400.  Ouch.  Cars, vans are the same price as this.  I do not know about other vehicles but their motor vehicle website explains this.   But if you can come up with it, this is so worth it. Then subsequent years are, I believe, $62.  Register online after that.  You must physically bring your vehicle to an office the first time, because an agent will go out and record the VIN.  You can then transfer the tag without paying another impact fee, to another vehicle if you get a different one, but you probably need to go there in person with that one, too.  I consider Florida home, so this is not an issue for me.  

Driver's license was $53, good for 8 years!  You can renew online once for another 8 years.  Then must go in person for a new photo, etc.

Florida participates in that new Federal ID program.  To obtain your driver's license they will want to see various forms of ID.  I think it would be good for you to call or check their website for this, because my situation is probably different from a lot.  I had 2 last name changes through the years and I had to provide a table full of documents, of which I had most.  Birth Certificate, Passport, and more.  

The vehicle registration form made me smile and feel like yes, Florida is home.  It asks for physical address, and says if it is a boat, they want the call letters, or whatever that is.  If your home is a vehicle, they want the make and color.  Really...Florida asks if your physical address is a boat or a vehicle, please give us a tiny bit of information about it.  

You still need a real Florida address for mail, and the mail services are fine with the State of Florida.  No need to hide or sneak around with this, since they already know your home is a vehicle and are cool with that.

Now about mailing service and address.  I have both the Escapees and one at St. Brendan's Isle in Green Cove Springs.  There is a world of difference with these.  I will not be renewing my Escapees address because....in order to get your legal documents, driver's license and registration info, health insurance, whatever you need an actual Florida address for, The Escapees mail service requires you to use one Florida address for these, and the rest of your mail will go to Texas.  

The kicker here is...in order to receive your mail that is addressed to Florida, you can only get it if it is first then forwarded by the Escapees to your Texas address.  And they charge extra for this...$1 per each piece of mail.  Then you need to pay to have all of it forwarded to you wherever you are, of course.

Both these services have a scan feature, for an extra charge.  They scan your incoming mail envelopes and email you the scans.  For a little extra you can have them open and scan the contents.  I don't care what they see because I don't think there is too much privacy anymore anyway.  Seeing the scanned contents, which you can download as a PDF, means you can have them just shred the mail and eliminates most of your need to have these sent to you.  I only get things like new bank and credit cards, vehicle registration and new sticker, checks that sometimes arrive....sent to me.  Stuff I can't just print a copy of.

Both these mail service places cost about the same on a monthly basis, but the Escapees want more up front.  With the scan envelope feature, they are about $21 per month.  Scanning contents is not much, and then charges for Priority Mail to forward mail to you.

I am going to say it because it is true...St. Brendan's Isle is just more efficient and professional.  There is another one, I think from Passport America, in Crestview, but no experience with them.  I had UPS store mail service for 20 years, from when it was called Mailbox Etc.  Way, way more expensive.  And not knowing if they have the same legal setup with Florida. Mine also did not have that scan feature, which is so wonderful.  No wondering if a certain piece of mail came.  And timely seeing that something has arrived that you did not expect and need to know about right away.  They email you the scans the day they arrive.

St. Brendan's Isle has all the forms you need to register your vehicle and more on their website.  With good instructions.  You can get these and print them for free.  They are really great on the phone and have it together. Don't hesitate to call them.  I feel very secure with them now for 3 years.     www.sbimailservice.com

I hope I have clearly explained these things.  If you have further questions for me, please feel free to ask.  I love being a Florida resident.  It has been great financially for me.  My vehicle insurance was cut in half.  My health insurance went down to less than half of up North.  T'here is no state income tax.  And I thank Florida for understanding that some of us do actually live in vehicles and for being A-Ok with this.  :heart:

I'm going through the process in Florida right now. DL is a pain as it requires several documents to prove your address. Voter registration, bank statement, health insurance card, utility bills, etc can all be used. I'm paperless with my bank, have no utility bills, and have insurance through a state exchange so those are proving difficult but I just got my voter registration card so I should have enough next time I'm in the state.

I'm also with St Brendan's Isle and am very happy with them. I get an email when I have new mail and can look at the outside of the envelope and decide what to do with it.

When I went in person to register to vote the clerk recognized the address and made sure I had filed a declaration of domicile. Once I filed that down the street I was fine.

Eventually ALL states will comply with REAL ID or they will have to explain why their drivers license won't allow them to get into the airport or onto an airplane.

By 2020 (probably by 2018) all 50 states will require proof that you actually live where you claim to live. They will all allow you to use a mail forwarder for a mailing address , but none will let you use it for a physical residence.

South Dakota is still the easiest with just one night in a motel/RV Park and falsely sign a sworn affidavit.

akrvbob said:
"By 2020 (probably by 2018) all 50 states will require proof that you actually live where you claim to live. They will all allow you to use a mail forwarder for a mailing address , but none will let you use it for a physical residence.

South Dakota is still the easiest with just one night in a motel/RV Park and falsely sign a sworn affidavit."

Okay...I just called my Florida mail service after reading what you wrote.  You are on the right track here.  She said that last year the requirement did change...that in order to use the mailer address as your legal address, you must have an RV or Boat (vessel) registered in Florida.  And instead of the mailer street address on your driver's license, they now put your RV or boat registration # on the driver's license as your legal address.  Wow. And if you do not have a boat or RV registered in Florida, you will need a friend or relative's address to use.  

She did not know about the future and the owner was at lunch.  But I see changes are here.  Well, since I have an RV registered in Fla. I am good for now.  Thanks for the update.

Having to prove that you actually live where you say you do? Obviously a mail forwarding even with street address won't cut it. So, if one is a full-timer, that just seems like it will be a huge problem. Am I missing something? I am tired of me and everything I do being tracked!

This is an addition to my post above. Of course you still need a mailing address as well as your RV or boat registration # and you would use the mailing service street address for that.

To Snow Gypsy... there are so many full-timers on the road, not just this tribe but many others.  It will be interesting to see how in the world this is going to play out.

Bob:  "By 2020 (probably by 2018) all 50 states will require proof that you actually live where you claim to live. They will all allow you to use a mail forwarder for a mailing address , but none will let you use it for a physical residence."

So what's the solution for full-timer RVers?

pamerica said:
To Snow Gypsy... there are so many full-timers on the road, not just this tribe but many others.  It will be interesting to see how in the world this is going to play out.

It's not just full timer's on the road, there's also the actual homeless people.  As is being discussed in another thread, in some places homeless shelters are allowing the homeless to use their address as their physical residence and DMV's are accepting that and issuing driver's licenses.  In many states, it's illegal to discriminate against the homeless, so the DMV CAN'T turn them down.

We can all got to SD which makes it pretty easy with just on night in a motel or RV Park and lie on the affidavit.

Or you can pay for a months rent at an RV park and that becomes your legal residence address. Do it in Quartzsite and it will only cost you $179. More than you want to pay but not too bad. For that month you can dump your tanks, dump your trash take showers and equalize your batteries, so you do get some value for the money.
Bob

abnorm said:
I'm using Escapees mail forwarding and Domicile in Bushnell Florida as I move on-the-road

Hi.  Have you asked them if this address will comply with the Real ID requirements coming soon...that you must supply the address where you actually live?   Thanks.

A couple of things to keep in mind.  As of right now, the RealID act only impacts certain things:

Access to Department of Homeland Security HQ
Access to nuclear power plants
Access to restricted and semi-restricted facilities
Boarding Federally Regulated Commercial Aircraft

Most of that won't affect us, and the aircraft thing will only affect some of us.

A passport or passport card will meet the requirements.  If you haven't hit the road yet, consider getting a passport now, before you do.  It's good for 10 years, which should push the whole problem comfortably down the road.

The other thing to keep in mind is that some states - like Nevada - are issuing two kinds of driver's licenses.  One is RealID compliant, one isn't, and is marked "Not For Federal Purposes".

I think federal buildings are also of limits without the new "real" ID. I don't know how this will effect things like Social Security, the IRS, veterans hospitals etc.

DannyB1954 said:
I think federal buildings are also of limits without the new "real" ID. I don't know how this will effect things like Social Security, the IRS, veterans hospitals etc.

The act specifically says "restricted and semi-restricted buildings".  Are some federal buildings therefore considered "unrestricted"? 

I can tell you that I had to go into my local Social Security Office to straighten something out a few months ago, and I didn't have to show ID to get into the building.

I DID have to show ID when I sat down with the agent.  I don't know whether in the future I would need RealID for that or not.

I've tried to Google that, but have had no luck.

Anyway, I have a passport, so I won't have any problem proving I'm really me.

I think as the need arises someone will start small business to let you use their physical address for a fee. sort of a paid "my cousin" Any one want to "live" in Cary, NC ?

I once looked at moving to Atlanta, Ga in the 90's.  I had a bunch of friends there who urged me to sell my car before coming there.   It was older and I was told I'd be charged for each year from it's manufacture like in back taxes before I could license it.

If I were to move to Florida,  would I be better off moving there without a car and buying one in the state once there ?   Considering the impact ?   Or is that just built into the price of the car by the State at the time of purchase ?

I have found a P.O. box and mail forwarder here that doesn't give you a P.O. box address. I hope to use them for a while at least since I will be returning here for health reasons next summer. I can take care of the tags to both the truck and trailer then, DL is good for another 3 years and is renewed on line. Should that fail I have family that will help even if it means changing residency to Michigan. Eventually I will want to find a state in the southwest where I will be spending most of my time.

Fl fee is on the first set of tags you get for each vehicle.