Starting from scratch

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dreamer07

Reaction score
Hello all,

I don't know much about this but I'm hoping this website and Bob's videos can help me learn. All I know is that I need a serious change. I started considering this lifestyle after watching the movie Nomadland and subsequently reading the book. I live in NM and would love to meet Linda May if that's a possibility. My first challenges are, can I really do this?? And how do I get started -- a vehicle to begin with. I can't build my own. So many questions and unknowns. I picked my user name because I might just be dreaming that life could begin again for me at 66. I'm going to start with decluttering.

Happy 4th!

Welcome to the forums.
My wife aren't good at doing builds either so we just drive our regular everyday vehicle and sleep reclined in the seats or a tent depending on camping area.
We to are new at this and have learned things the hard way but have learned alot.
Perhaps if you can make your vehicle comfortable to sleep in you could try short trips for a week or how ever long you decide and the people here are full of good advise on questions you may have.
We wish you luck with your adventures and hope you have a great journey. ☺️

I got an older minivan shortly before I read Nomadland and then saw the movie when it came out. I did what's called a 'no build' build in mine. Took the back seats out, put in a bed, decorated a little. I'm just a part timer right now so when I head out I put everything I'll need for the trip in there.

Even if/when I get a full size van it will probably be a no build for the most part.

Welcome to the forum! I am 64 and female.

Welcome Dreamer to the CRVL forums! To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips, Tricks and Rules" post lists some helpful information to get you started.

Most of our rules boil down to two simple over-riding principles: 1) What you post should provide good information (like your introductory post), and 2) Any response to someone else's post should make them feel glad they are part of this forum community.

We look forward to hearing more from you.

Highdesertranger

Welcome to the CRVL Forums  :)

So many people come here posting in the introduction "can I actually do this" and the answer is yes.  It isn't all that difficult.  And so much of what you need to know to get started is right here.

Most start like you are now.  Watching tutorial videos, reading post that discuss topics they believe will be important to them once they start to look for a vehicle/rig to go on the road with. 

There are two links below which may be helpful for you to spend some time looking thru.  In the nicer months of the year a "no build" (very basic) rig can be a great start.   A few road trips and camp outs
sleeping in your rig overnight (in State or National Park camp grounds) will help to show you that you can in fact do this.

All the best !

"There are two links below which may be helpful for you to spend some time looking thru. "

No links to be seen.

Latest posts