Starlink - The Movie - Is Starlink Any Good? Good For Nomads?? From a Nomad using 6 months.

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I alluded to the future launches in this vid... I predict that service when roaming, will vary significantly for while... over a year... however the net is filling in day by day, and if the number of sats in service continues to rise, it will fill in the holes, but areas where the service is already well populated will get hit harder than those with low censuses... we'll see... if they can get Starship up it will mean being able to launch a few hundred at a time instead of 40-60...

Note: RE: My video... Do not expect a short answer from me... it just isn't in me... :) lol

July Update
There are currently 2191 satellites in operation. Since I activated service in the beginning of Dec '21 the network has expended from 1500 up nearly 700 units.

June 17, 53 Sats launched
July 7, 53
July 11, 46
July 17, 53

That is 205 sats launched in a one month span....
There are currently 404 "not in service" ( get it?), most of these are in the process of attaining altitude and their eventual stations.

Where I am camped now there are a few trees blocking my line of sight.

Last week I ordered the 150' cable.

Speed is good... I am also able to share with my camp mates and I don't even notice...

Do a search for space debris, space junk or light pollution + Starlink. It is an eye opener.

Here are a couple, but there are probably hundreds of articles and warnings on the subject.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/2021/04/27/starlink-light-pollution/
https://www.livescience.com/spacex-starlink-satellite-collisions-rise.html

As Sir Isaak once said: "For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction"

Guess light pollution wasn't initially considered when placing so many reflective sats into our orbit...?

Last edited:
Speaking of July updates, I'm pretty sure the Starlink coverage map has been getting updated. Pahrump for example has just a single hex cell of "Waitlist" over it and I thought it had several recently. And Quartzsite has definitely changed. Just recently it looked like Scaddan Wash could be considered Available while town itself was still covered by a Waitlist hex, but now Quartzsite itself is Available although there are still two hex cells of Waitlist toward Blythe. That definitely changed, within the last couple weeks.

How much does Mint charge?
$30/mo. but you have to pay in advance $90 for 90 days to begin, then $360 for a year, again in advance. But it's unlimited everything. And yes, it's T-Mobile backbone, so I have a Visible dot com $40/mo. prepaid account (Verizon) and phone as well, which make up for each other's respective coverage spottiness. Got the Samsung A03s off the Mint website ($160 if I rem correctly), but just got the sim kit from visible and then purchased a 512GB Samsung Galazy S22+ Ultra off ebay for about $850, open box deal, for the Visible account. Hope this helps.

I have visible for $25 a month.... it's easy to get on the plan.

I have visible for $25 a month.... it's easy to get on the plan.
Pretty sure I'll get Visible. My daughter has me on her family plan with T-Mobile. I appreciate the free phone and service, but sometimes it disconnects me & shuts down. So, I'll use both T-Mobile and Visible (with a new phone).

I absolutely love Starlink. It is a huge change in the dynamics of boondocking. Almost anywhere to have high speed internet and phone service via the internet is amazing. No worries of being isolated with no cell service. Yes it can be shared with all campmates (if you trust them to not do illegal stuff lol). My backup is Visible at $25 a month, and it is ok. Just watching 4k HD movies on Netflix or Amazon prime is really nice, or video chat with friends and family.