SSI and RV

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

urbanhermit70

Reaction score
Anybody  in the USA on SSI  not SSDI and full time rvers? Do you deal with the ' in kind support and maintenance' rule? Do you count your RV as your home?

There are a couple of folks in the forum who seem to have a lot of experience with the whole SS thing. I'm replying to put this back up at the top so those folks have a chance to see your post.

I have been receiving my regular early retirement SS income for a few months, but I have no idea of the "in kind" rule you are asking about.

urbanhermit70 said:
Anybody  in the USA on SSI  not SSDI and full time rvers? Do you deal with the ' in kind support and maintenance' rule? Do you count your RV as your home?

If you are talking about what I think you are talking about, you need to chat with your tax accountant, not with untrained people on the forum. Free legal and tax advice is usually worth what you paid for it.

I'm on SSDI. I know nothing of an *in kind and Maintenance support rule*.

I've been fulltimimg since 2012, most recently. and I change my domicile regularly. It never affects my SSDI

cyndi said:
I'm on SSDI. I know nothing of an *in kind and Maintenance support rule*.

I've been fulltimimg since 2012, most recently. and I change my domicile regularly. It never affects my SSDI

The rule has to do with whether getting money or support  from a trust or other sources can reduce your benefits.  It is something one needs professional advice on if it may be a consideration.  Not many of us will have experience with it. Fewer of us will be able evaluate another person's circumstances.

If you're on SSDI and you have income of over $1090/month its going to affect your benefits.

SSI and SSDI are different programs. I would suggest contacting the state office and asking them telling them only that it was just something you might consider and wanted to know how it would work out.

I read through this but wasn't sure what exactly the question is, does it relate to basically boondocking and not have a "rent" cost? https://www.socialsecurity.gov/ssi/text-living-ussi.htm

If you'll google for "living in an RV and collecting SSI" you'll get others asking questions. Ultimately, I would review what I could find. Get it all together in my head and then call the state office.

Thanks for the link Snow Gypsy. I've never heard of the living arrangement rules and nobody has ever brought this issue up either on fulltime RV sites or when we've dealt with government officials. Since the amount of money that you actually spend on food, shelter, and utilities isn't a factor, just whether you contribute your fair share, it looks like being a fulltime van dweller shouldn't have any effect on your SSI.

This is what i am talking about

1, Can social security office reduce SSI money if he or she lives in RV full time because there is no "rent"?
2. Does SS office count RV as a house? I see mobile home is on the list.What about RV?
3. SSI in kind support and maintenance' rule is this
"We may reduce your SSI benefits because of your living arrangements when you:

live in another person's house, apartment, or mobile home, and you pay less than your fair share of your food or housing costs;

live in your own house, apartment, or mobile home, and someone else pays for all or part of your food, rent, mortgage, or other things like electricity and heating fuel;"

I just met a van dweller on SSI, and he said they consider him to be homeless, and he gets $385 per month, plus almost $200 in food stamps, and free medical.

I asked if he ever worked to supplement his income, and he told me he couldn't due to many health problems, but he was debt free and able to live okay on what he gets.

Are the food stamps only good in the state they are issued? For SSI folks? Food stamps are called SNAP and think they come in a credit card form. So wondering if they only work in the state they are issued.

The reason that people on SSI don't get food stamps in CA is because there is extra money in the SSI amount for food which came from the link here: http://www.disabilitysecrets.com/re...-security-income-ssi/approved-food-stamps.htm I suspected this since my adult son with Down syndrome gets extra money in his check to pay toward our food bill and if he moves to residential, he'll get the reduction in his check and the facility will get food stamps to put toward the household budget that they maintain.

urbanhermit70 said:

The "in kind support and maintenance rule" adresses two things; 1. how much you contribute to your home, either financially or "in kind" meaning essentially work that you do in lieu of payment such as housework, babysitting, maintenance,  etc., and 2. how much other people contribute to help you. 

If you live in a vehicle (or a tent or a shelter) you are technically homeless. I don't know if this applies to an RV but I think most likely it does since it is a vehicle but you know how the government is, there are a lot of gray areas that are not well defined. I would take the advice of other commenters and contact your case worker with a "what if" scenario and ask if your award would change if you became homeless and had to move into your vehicle. Your RV is most likely titled as a vehicle and insured as a vehicle, not a house or apartment. 

You most likely had to disclose the value of your possessions when you applied for SSI. I don't know if you owned your RV at the time but if you are going to state that you live in a vehicle you will most likely have to assign a dollar value to it. The good news is that you can assgn a value to it yourself without having to produce evidence in most cases and if it is valued at less than two thousand I don't think it will affect you adversely. If it is newer and your caseworker is surprised that it is valued so low then I would explain that it is in poor condition. I don't know how you acquired your RV but if it was a gift I would pay a dollar for it so that you don't have to pay a gift tax, although if your income is low enough you may not have to file taxes anyway but play it safe.

I am no expert on this. I have learned from my own experience and have many questions of my own. I do resesrch on the Internet but I really think talking to your caseworker is a safe bet unless your caseworker is a real you-know-what. Remember that their job is to help you, thsy are paid with tax dollars and you have the right to file grievances and to request a new one. Of course being polite no matter what is always a good idea.

If declaring yourself homeless lowers your income you may have to rethink your situation. I don't know what advice to give you on that, but if you are like me freedom and sanity is more important than money. Best of luck.

urbanhermit70 said:
In california,SSI people  can't get food stamps

well that's just not right!   when a person draws SSI benefits that is the lowest paying SSA  benefit that i know of & they can't get SNAP benefits in CA? does the state offer any other type of food assistance program?  i have a very curious mind set and recently i got on the web and compared the  different food assistance programs and a lot has to do with the states standard housing and utility costs  in some instances it was as much as $400 to $500  a mo. different & that was in two of the states i had lived in recently...go figure....i've had my beans and baloney days......still do at times....good thing i like'm...queenie likes baloney and green beans...she's a special dog don'cha know!    bye,   texas jaybird,  queenie is snorin' and caint say bye right now      :)

It's a good idea to go onto the Social Security web site and register so that you can access your SS account and make sure they have your earnings correct. You don't have much time to contact them to correct an error in your yearly earnings. There is a lot of useful information on there about your personal account and how much you would get each month if you retired at 62 or 65 or wait until your full retirement eligibility and if your were to get SSDI.

This is from an official site. Remember SSI is administrated by the state. Each state has different benefit amounts.

"WHAT ABOUT THE HOMELESS?

Having a permanent residence is not a requirement for receiving SSI. If you are homeless, you may receive up to the maximum SSI amount payable in your state. In addition, if you are receiving SSI benefits, you may be able to receive subsidized housing."

DOES WHERE I LIVE AFFECT HOW MUCH SSI I CAN GET?

Yes, it can. If you live in your own place and pay your own food and shelter costs, regardless of whether you own or rent, you may get up to the maximum Supplemental Security Income (SSI) amount payable in your State. You also can get up to the maximum if you live in someone else's household as long as you pay your food and shelter costs. If you live in someone else's household and don't pay your food and shelter costs or pay only part of your food and shelter costs, your SSI benefit may be reduced by up to one–third of the SSI Federal benefit rate."

Interesting posts. Even though I'm still a ways off at age 50, I find myself thinking about social security lately. Hmmm.

ccbreder said:
This is from an official site. Remember SSI is administrated by the state. Each state has different benefit amounts.

"WHAT ABOUT THE HOMELESS?

Having a permanent residence is not a requirement for receiving SSI. If you are homeless, you may receive up to the maximum SSI amount payable in your state. In addition, if you are receiving SSI benefits, you may be able to receive subsidized housing."

DOES WHERE I LIVE AFFECT HOW MUCH SSI I CAN GET?

Yes, it can. If you live in your own place and pay your own food and shelter costs, regardless of whether you own or rent, you may get up to the maximum Supplemental Security Income (SSI) amount payable in your State. You also can get up to the maximum if you live in someone else's household as long as you pay your food and shelter costs. If you live in someone else's household and don't pay your food and shelter costs or pay only part of your food and shelter costs, your SSI benefit may be reduced by up to one–third of the SSI Federal benefit rate."

If I  purchase a RV, I  feel like i have my own place  but on wheels. My big sister has her own place(house) but without wheels.In my future RV, I will be paying for  my food and ,shelter(gas , electricity,water,).