SSI and RV

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you are homeless and can’t work on SSDI then you should get whatever benefits are possible. This is a very politically charged subject. Many people get angry when discussing this. So be prepared for that. 1) people are angry you can get enough to live on. So what is the motivation to work. And they ignore your injury 2) there are lawyers who make a living getting people their SSDI because it’s never easy to prove. It literally can take three applications, and a couple court lawyer events to get it done. —- regardless good luck with it. Document all injuries with lots of specifics from MD doctors.

One thing I do not understand is if SS income happens at age 62, do you also get SSDI extra ? How does that work ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Off topic but here goes. Canadian on Disability here, next year it will be reduced when my partner turns 65 and he'll have to apply for Old Age security, which is affected if either of us get money from another source. I'm not supposed to leave the province for more than a month or I lose my benefits. No food stamp program of any kind here but we do have food banks, which we use when necessary.

No "commodities" distribution either, that's covered by the food banks.

I'm fortunate in that I inherited my home, so IF my RV-ing plans don't work. I can come home (but don't want to)

Workamping means anything I make outside of Canada, I have to declare on my income tax and that can affect my benefits as I'm not supposed to be able to work at certain jobs that require heavy lifting or repetitive motion. I also have some emotional issues that can cause work difficulties. Can't work where I'm forced to do more hours than I get paid for. I would lose my temper and my job

So for those of us up here, the rules are even tighter--say I'm at the RTR and my social worker wants to see me. I have to come home, whether I'm working or not or I lose my benefits.

People with criminal records can't get any benefits at all-even regular welfare and you can't be on regular welfare for more than two years straight without finding work or you get cut off.

I've got 5 years until I get a pension and as I haven't worked much, I won't get much. My partner gets less than $20 on pension, he was forced by Social Services to apply for it at age 60 and so will I. We will then be trying to live on virtually nothing except tax returns and tax credits

Not at all fair. That is why I want to do my Nomading NOW while I can still afford it.

Lois

What questions specifically do you have? Weren’t you in California if I recall? You would do best to ask at a Social Security office. They know the rules backwards and forwards.
This thread is all over the place and all kinds of information some of which is completely wrong for California. It’s also a very personal process and literally depends on luck ie if you get to the final stage how fair the doctor is who examines you and reads your medical history and you must have a long, documented medical history.
You are automatically denied the first two attempts in California which is where most people give up. For some reason it is much harder to get disability if your disability is physical rather than mental.

This  thread is NOT about how to get SSI or SSDI. This thread is about  getting tips from experienced RV/van  dwellers  on SSI.  Can people on SSI own a RV and live  in a  RV without losing SSI/reduce SSI ?  How can people on SSI live  the RV lifestyle full time or part time on a SSI income?

This thread was started 5 years ago.

If the question hasn't been answered on this forum by now...

He is still asking questions so I assume he needs help.
To answer your question as far as I know having had SSI in California briefly myself: You can own one residence if you live in it and a vehicle. But also as far as I know you must have a permanent address. My SSI was a clusteryouknowhat because I was supposed to get my disability from STRS and they messed up (my disability was physical) and I had worked so many years but paid into a different pension system most of my years (STRS) so I got SSI instead AND I qualified for Medicare.

I was told it was an unusual situation.
Yeah the permanent address part will mess up your plans. It’s almost impossible to get disability unless you have years of documented medical history. I did and and I got a doctor in my specialty (also rare) who read my entire file. So I got lucky until it was taken away because of retirement monies I can’t touch until 59 1/2. Truthfully the tiny amount of money the government gives you is not worth the stress and the constant hoops you go through. Food stamps are considered part of disability in California so you will not get those either.
I have a brother who truly can’t work. But if you can work in any way, shape or form I suggest you do so. It’s far easier than trying to get disability.

If you can find a family member or good friend who will lend you an address then yes you can do the RV thing otherwise, no.

I'm on SSI and SSDI. I know the rules as far as having a vehicle or home over the $2000 limit they place on you for personal property you can own without it effecting your SSI. Question is, can I buy/own a travel trailer over the $2000 limit as my soul residence? I keep hearing conflicting answers to this question. I'm in ohio. Thank you.

Terry prather

He did and he didn’t like the answer. The SSA workers know the rules like they’re reading out of a book.

He also doesn’t have a long documented history of disability and his disabilities are all over the place. He’s basically been trying to find a way around it for 5 years.

And in California, no, you can’t buy/own anything beyond your primary residence and one vehicle. I doubt Ohio is different. This is SSI. I don’t know the rules for SSDI.