SSI and RV

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Must be the head of household work requirements test that makes it impossible for some to get SNAP when they can’t find a job. Thanks for the notes about that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I mentioned this in a previous thread: I went with a senior SSI friend with critical disabilities to talk to his caseworker. Somehow we ended up with the woman in charge of the Disability Dept at the Soc Sec office. She was an angel, clearly on the side of helping disabled people.

Can't recall why she mentioned this but she said People on SSI can NOT own an RV but can own a 5th wheel.

She had been in her position for 12 yrs (not a newbie like many case workers who do not know the correct info).

Unfortunately, she got promoted, so I cannot ask her if my friend can live in an RV, van, 5th wheel or whatever without it impacting his benefits.

He was already on SSI when we spoke to her. So maybe there is a difference if you own an RV at the time of receiving your "award (approval) letter" and getting the back funds.

My friend is concerned about losing his housing voucher, due to huge planned HUD budget cuts next year.

In that case, he plans to find a vehicle to live in.

If SSI people are not permitted to purchase and live in an RV then do they still have to give up 30 per cent of income if they live full time in a vehicle? (I heard it was due to the term "recreational vehicle"...apparently the disabled are not permitted to enjoy recreation.)

That seems extremely unfair! Anyone on SSI know about this issue? Living full time in vehicle, do they take part of your monthly check? You can PM me if you don't want to disclose info online.

Important fact: Does everyone here know that SSI is available to ANYONE 65 and over with income less than $735 month? SSI is for Disabled AND Elderly. So if you have no regular Social Security benefits or they are below $735 month you can apply for the full amount. At 65 you do not have to undergo ongoing reviews.

Lady in charge of Disability Dept also said: if you get even $1 dollar of SSI per month you also get Medicaid! Currently there is no cap on Medicaid. For Disabled and Elderly this health insurance can be even more important than the monthly SSI check.

This is long, but hope it helps someone. Also would like to know re the living in vehicle issue. Why take 30 per cent of someone's income for living in car, etc??? :huh:

On SSI ...You can own a car, a home (Yes, it can be a travel trailer)(don't know about the RV), and these will be excluded ... they also don't count your personal assets like clothes, dishes, furniture etc, etc. If you own a home or live on land things like your lawn mower are not counted. If you have a collection of gold jewelry, coins or fine art ....these things are counted.

that being said, after the exclusions you may still own $2000 dollars worth of assets. Whether that is in money or included property.

Kathleen,

What state does your friend live ?

Last year, I ask a disability lawyers this question " Can I use SSI back pay to purchase a RV ? he said this "Yes, you can use back SSI money to pay for the RV. However all the other rules apply, meaning it can only be the one primary residence or the one means of transportation. This would mean it is an exempt resource. Otherwise it will be treated as an available resource and would eliminate eligibility for SSI. "

In California and all or some states ,people on SSI can own 1 car and 1 house no value limit. A class A B and C is both and travel trailer and 5th wheel is consider under " house". When I ask this question to the lawyer , my question was for class A,B,C and travel trailer not 5th wheels. If I use a class A,B or C to go food shopping.sleep and to the doctor that is my primary residence /means of transportation (1 car & 1 house). No rules broken

So people with SSI should be able to buy and live in a van, travel trailer, class !A,B, and C RV. Be do the research and ask SS office

urbanhermit70 said:
Kathleen,

What  state does your friend live ?

Last  year, I ask  a disability  lawyers this question " Can I use SSI back pay to purchase a  RV ? he said  this "Yes, you can use back SSI money  to pay for the RV. However all the other rules apply, meaning it can only be the one primary residence or the one means of transportation. This would mean it is an exempt resource. Otherwise it will be treated as an available resource and would eliminate eligibility for SSI. " 

He resides in New Mexico. He received his back pay long ago. The rules are so sticky, it is a good idea to confirm with lawyer. RV ownership is one issue, taking 30 per cent of his income if he lives in van, rv or vehicle is the other. He was told even if he lived in a tent on land that belongs to a friend he would have to give up a percentage of his SSI. This seems utterly unfair & is cause for concern. That's why I asked about that so others on SSI could tell me if they lose a portion of their monthly check while full timing. Should be a fed law that applies in every state.

Maybe those on SSI are using mail forwarding addresses and direct deposit for checks and gov't does not know they are on the move. So many regulations! I mentioned earlier anyone with an answer can PM me if they prefer communicating that way.

Kathleen,

The only reason why I can see New Mexico Social Security Office taking 30% of a SSI RV owners monthly check, SS doesn't think he or she has no "rent/mortgage/household bills" to pay each month. I bet if your friend said he lives in a class A,B,C, travel trailer or 5th wheel in a RV park/trailer Park/ or driveway surfing arraignment, SS would say no problem because your friend would be paying rent to park there.

If I was your friend ,I would double check this SS worker answer. A class A,B, and C is a combo and fall under an SSI 1 house and 1 car rule or traveler/ 5th wheel counts as a 1 house rule. No money should be deducted. The problem, SSI people who live in their car,streets. homeless,tent , live with family /friends rent free /not paying their fare share rent or RV have no "bills" and SS will deduct your monthly check for that reason.

Example:

1. A lady lived with her son, and wife . in a house rent free. SS deducted her monthly check because she wasn't paying her far share rent, She went from $799. fr around $500

2 A man lived with his uncle and 2 cousin in a house and was only paying less than $300 dollars a month in rent and SS deducted his money because this man wasn't paying his fare share

urbanhermit70 said:
SSI people who live in their car,streets. homeless,tent , live with family /friends rent free /not paying their fare share rent or RV have no "bills" and SS will deduct your monthly check for that reason.

Example:

1. A lady lived  with her son, and wife .  in a house  rent free. SS  deducted her monthly check because she wasn't paying her far share  rent, She went from $799. fr around  $500

2  A man  lived with his uncle and 2 cousin in a house and was only paying less than $300 dollars   a month in rent and SS deducted his money because this man wasn't paying his  fare share

Thanks so much for your info. He is 70 and not in good health. Seems he'd need receipts that show he pays rent for parking his vehicle, the one he would reside in. Then SS would not deduct from his small monthly check.

He's just praying that HUD vouchers are not eliminated. It's good to be prepared, so he's shopping for a used van.

My situation is a little different, being a disabled child of a disabled parent, so I qualify early for SSD (half of his) plus some SSI from WA state to bring it up to their level, and FS (around $800 total a month). I live full time in a motorhome I own on my parents' property. They count my RV as my residence, because it is fully self contained as far as I can cook and feed myself there, so not docked for it unless it was worth a lot. I have a car for normal running around. I'm not sure what it would be like if I was only on SSI. When I was on SSI I lived in my own apartment. I think the main thing that is affected is food stamps, but that might just be WA. The more you pay in rent, generally the more in FS. They only give me $117. I'm grateful for every penny, but pretty hard to live on that.

I got on SSI when I was 21, severe anxiety. Many other health issues have cropped up since. It generally takes about three years without a lawyer to get on SSI. They don't make it easy for a reason. On SSD I can work to a certain amount of gross income before they get rid of my benefits, but no SSI (state part) or food stamps. Still got Medicaid and Medicare. I've tried for many years to get a career, then even just a job, but t this point I can't work at all and if it wasn't for my RV and my folks, I would be homeless, like really homeless.

If things don't improve but aren't so dire I can't look after myself, I'm looking at going vagabond and living mostly in BLM or possibly something like the NM state parks pass. I will be technically homeless, then. I'm happy to see they don't seem to dock you for being "homeless." I need to talk to SS but hopefully I can continue to get SSD after my dad passes. I know food stamps can be used anywhere, but medicaid can't. So I want to get doctors near where ever I'm staying the most. Doubtful WA state because the rain all winter/spring makes me depressed.

cyndi said:
If you're on SSDI and you have income of over $1090/month its going to affect your benefits.

The only thing that an SSI individual has to consider really is the state of domicile..............this is because SSI is generally paid & managed by the STATE (the Feds do reimburse the State at least in part or visa versi) who manages the payouts.............other than that I see no issues other than any reportable income is going to be deducted $1 for $1 from SSI and or SSDI if it exceeds the limit...............NOW once you reach your FULL retirement age this (SSDI) restriction goes away and the only concern is does your SS and your other income cause you to have to pay taxes to the Dreaded IRS......................

Remember though that SSI is totally a different animal..............you never reach a full retirement age as SSI is for those individuals that have not earned enough Quarters to qualify for SS or SSDI.....................If your not qualified now then it is unlikely that you will never be qualified.......

"It's not if you win or lose...........It's how you play the Game"""

saytar said:
Remember though that SSI is totally a different animal..............you never reach a full retirement age as SSI is for those individuals that have not earned enough Quarters to qualify for SS or SSDI.....................If your not qualified now then it is unlikely that you will never be qualified.......

That might be the case with me as I lived overseas for 25+ years. I am still a few months short of qualifying at all and it would be something like $25. a month if I did qualify. I will probably have to work the rest of my life if I am able. How old do you have to be to qualify for SSI and how much does it pay?

I had a very successful business for many years, but new technology ruined it and left me penniless at age 60. :(

I don't know how others are working their SSI but my plan is this when I hit the magic number of 62 that is just around the corner:   Move to a state that does not tax retirement income and has a low cost of living (did I mention Oklahoma) and since my income will be below the $25,000 per year mark it won't be taxed on a Federal level either.  So basically, other than some insignificant land tax from that couple of acres I'll purchase around the $200 a year mark (someone did say something about Oklahoma), I won't be taxed at all and still maintain a "residence".  A mailbox and a large portable building, I have two of them, and maybe a carport set up as living quarters and all done.  All my bills and correspondence is done via email so my presence is not required at home except when I feel like going there (ok, I'm sure someone mentioned Oklahoma).  Go Sooners!!!!  Oh yeah, Oklahoma doesn't require an annual vehicle safety or emissions inspection either so that's a bonus.  I'm sure there are other places that check all these boxes as well but why even look for them when there is a place called Oklahoma.

https://www.aarp.org/work/social-security/info-2014/social-security-benefit-taxes.html       <---  AARP's write up about social security and taxes

GeorgiePorgie said:
That might be the case with me as I lived overseas for 25+ years. I am still a few months short of qualifying at all and it would be something like $25. a month if I did qualify. I will probably have to work the rest of my life if I am able. How old do you have to be to qualify for SSI and how much does it pay?

I had a very successful business for many years, but new technology ruined it and left me penniless at age 60. :(

There is no age minimum for SSI.  But payments vary by state.  It's not much, a few hundred.  But you would be on Medicaid and food stamps once you qualify, and that is not easy. Took me three years. SSD is like 62 or 65, I can't remember, and you get more except you get to deal with Medicare and no food stamps.

samuraikitty7 said:
There is no age minimum for SSI.  But payments vary by state.  It's not much, a few hundred.  But you would be on Medicaid and food stamps once you qualify, and that is not easy. Took me three years.  SSD is like 62 or 65, I can't remember, and you get more except you get to deal with Medicare and no food stamps.

There are 3 versions of SS:

Retirement: has an age criteria that has to be met
SSDI: no age limit but must prove disability and can take several years
SSI: loosely termed "federal welfare", administered by SS and had to be paid back if ever approved for SSDI. Depending on circumstances may be put on this until approved for Soc Sec but if you have never worked or made to little they keep you on SSI. No age limit.

I was able to get food stamps while on both SSI and SSDI and they definitely adjusted how much I was given based on how much I got from SS.

sephiro499 said:
But if I'm on the road, I can not miss that review notice.. because it would stop my benefits

My SSDI reviews are every 7 years because I'm considered chronic and likely never to recover.  

I'm happy for you that you get counseling!  If I got it I wouldn't pull up stakes either if I could afford it but rent costs too much.  It's not easy out here.

Oh and I get mail forwarded. I won't miss the letter.

I’m on ssdi and I can’t work at all . If I work my check goes down . I make more then enough to live on the road so don’t need to work anyway. I’m only 54 so I got a while before I get ssi , but once I get on ssi I will be able to work around 18 hours a week is what I have been told. But if my check remains the same I won’t need to work . I can’t work do to my problems , if I could work I would rather work . I loved being a Mechanic and made good money . But now I am going to join all of those living on the road. And I’m sure I’ll love it too .

Off Grid 24/7 said:
I just met a van dweller on SSI, and he said they consider him to be homeless, and he gets $385 per month, plus almost $200 in food stamps, and free medical.

I asked if he ever worked to supplement his income, and he told me he couldn't due to many health problems, but he was debt free and able to live okay on what he gets.

That's good to hear! I am still investigating my issue. Case Manager says I will lose my Medicaid if I live in a van. I am getting services at home which are: Caregiver visits, Meals On Wheels, and 'panic button'. She says Social Security will assume I'm not disabled and I will lose my Soc Sec Disability [SSDI]. Maybe I should talk to Soc Sec and ask them!

Headache said:
Oh and I get mail forwarded.  I won't miss the letter.

Also, usps.com [Post Office] now has a service that lets you see what you got in the mail! I just signed up for it. You get messages with images of the mail via email.

samuraikitty7 said:
There is no age minimum for SSI.  But payments vary by state.  It's not much, a few hundred.  But you would be on Medicaid and food stamps once you qualify, and that is not easy. Took me three years.  SSD is like 62 or 65, I can't remember, and you get more except you get to deal with Medicare and no food stamps.

I don't know about SSI, but for SSDI, which is Social Security Disability, they figure it based on your highest ever paying job. You can go to ssa.gov and get a printout which will tell you how much you are eligible for, and for regular retirement, how much depending on what age you are. You can find out now! No need to wait for mail. Mine is $950 because I had one good paying job, and it wasn't the last one I had.

Smitty716 said:
I’m on ssdi and I can’t work at all . If I work my check goes down . I make more then enough to live on the road so don’t need to work anyway. I’m only 54 so I got a while before I get ssi , but once I get on ssi I will be able to work around 18 hours a week is what I have been told. But if my check remains the same I won’t need to work . I can’t work do to my problems , if I could work I would rather work . I loved being a Mechanic and made good money . But now I am going to join all of those living on the road. And I’m sure I’ll love it too .

I get SSDI. When I get to retirement age, it'll be the same amount, just will be regular Soc Sec retirement. It doesn't become SSI, which is another program for folks who were never able to work.

Kathleen said:
This is long, but hope it helps someone. Also would like to know re the living in vehicle issue. Why take 30 per cent of someone's income for living in car, etc??? :huh:

Thanks for posting this! Maybe I have hope that Social Security Disability would continue, too for me. If they give Medicaid for SSI, I wonder if they also keep it for SSDI?