SSI and RV

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
UPDATE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

People on SSI in the USA

YES!! a person on SSI can purchase a Class A or C rv motorhome or trailer with SSI Back pay or special need trust money

BUT

This RV or trailer has to be classified as your primary home, primary car or both to not be counted as asset. If you already have a car ,apartment or house,SSI will count the RV and trailer as asset (SSI money will de deducted or lose SSI ) Oh more more thing. 1. if people live in the RV or trailer with you,the person on ssi HAS to collect rent from these people or he or she will lost SSI or SSI deduction 2. the person on SSI HAS to be the driver of the RV/Trailer or SSI decuction or lose SSI..

cyndi said:
If you're on SSDI and you have income of over $1090/month its going to affect your benefits.

Any taxable earned income is going to give you problems.  Once you work, it now becomes a question of 'how much can you work' --are you artificially keeping your earnings lower to 'double-dip'?   Yes this is paranoid inflexible thinking; but that's SSA.

UrbanH - good comments about home and car. Am planning on SSI in the future ten years from now. Interesting that see how my living configuration will be affected.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sephiro499 said:
Any taxable earned income is going to give you problems.  Once you work, it now becomes a question of 'how much can you work' --are you artificially keeping your earnings lower to 'double-dip'?   Yes this is paranoid inflexible thinking; but that's SSA.

My ex, once she got her SSDI, was able to earn 'up to her benefits level' (IOW, as much as she received in benefits) with no loss of SSDI benefits, after that she would lose, $ fior $, there was never an attempt to take her benefits from her
I think some folks confuse SSDI with SSI, they are different things

cyndi said:
I'm on SSDI. I know nothing of an *in kind and Maintenance support rule*.

I've been fulltimimg since 2012, most recently. and I change my domicile regularly. It never affects my SSDI

How have you been able to manage it? I am on SSDI and have been since 2008. Full time RV is increasingly becoming a necessity as my rent increases. I'm reluctant to pull the trigger because I would still have RV/car payments (which I don't now as I own my car outright but would need a truck to pull a camper). Also, I feel tethered to the disability as I need to report for evaluations every other week at the moment. The one thing I don't want to do is pull up stakes every other week and drive 1-2 days for counseling.

How have you been able to manage it? I am on SSDI and have been since 2008. Full time RV is increasingly becoming a necessity as my rent increases. I'm reluctant to pull the trigger because I would still have RV/car payments (which I don't now as I own my car outright but would need a truck to pull a camper). Also, I feel tethered to the disability as I need to report for evaluations every other week at the moment. The one thing I don't want to do is pull up stakes every other week and drive 1-2 days for counseling.

This rules is for  people on SSI.

ArtW said:
My ex, once she got her SSDI, was able to earn 'up to her benefits level' (IOW, as much as she received in benefits) with no loss of SSDI benefits, after that she would lose, $ fior $, there was never an attempt to take her benefits from her
I think some folks confuse SSDI with SSI, they are different things

If folks are on SSDI and are under retirement age there is a certain amount of money you have to earn during the trial period before your benefits will be dropped, but if you do hit those marks in the 3 year period your benefits are stopped.  Of course there are variables that can happen during the trial period that can affect determination:

https://www.ssa.gov/pubs/EN-05-10095.pdf

The above also includes the SSI rules(pg. 10) as well.

... I need to report for evaluations every other week at the moment...

I haven't had an evaluation since 2007. Perhaps that has to do with my illnesses being chronic. No one expects any improvement

cyndi said:
I haven't had an evaluation since 2007. Perhaps that has to do with my illnesses being chronic. No one expects any improvement

Yeah that is what I' concerned about, the period evaluations 'Continuing Disability Review' that SSA performs.  Everyone who gets SSDI is on a review schedule that is anywhere between 1,3,5,7, or indefinite years.  You can actually call SSA and ask them when you next 'diary review' is.  It is based on many factors.  They send out automated notices to see X provider on X day and X time based on your mailing zip code. 

Now I did get a review when I live in North Carolina, and during the review period I moved back to Maryland.  SSA did seem to sort it out.  But if I'm on the road, I can not miss that review notice.. because it would stop my benefits if I don't comply. 

https://secure.ssa.gov/apps10/poms.nsf/lnx/0413005010

Just for folks who aren't totally clear on the difference:
SSI is not Social Security. SSI is the acronym for Supplemental Security Income. It's a federal program for poor, disabled persons who don't have enough Social Security credits to get SSDI (Social Security Disability).

The reason why people think that SSI is SSDI is that it is administered by the Social Security Adminstration. And the parameters for determining disability are the same for SSI and SSDI. But otherwise the rules are way different between the two.

SSI money doesn't come out of the theoretical Social Security trust funds, it comes out of the general revenues from the US government. It is an entitlement program to help provide the impoverished disabled persons to barely survive.

Living on SSI is pretty minimal, and vandwelling is a very economical way to survive. Survival, not a gravy train.

And no, in case someone thinks I'm sympathetic because I or a family member is collecting it, that's not the case. I'm an RN and have seen too many people in desperate situations and my prayers are with them.
Ted

So is it true that you can get early SS or SSI if you can prove you are not getting job offers after 55 due to some inherent age disability? Bad hip, or back, or knees.

Please please please. Not talking fraud. Talking real issues as proven by doctor. Maybe even mental issues like clinical anxiety. Not sure how hard it is to prove.

Have been told it gets easier to prove disability as you get closer to 60 given the inherent problems with aging.

For SSDI, you have to be completely disabled and unable to work at all. If you are physically or mentally able to work, just because you can't get a job is not gonna move them. And, applying for and getting benefits can be problematic if you don't have all your ducks in a row-which is hard if you're disabled. Especially with the expensive medical documentation needed. You cannot apply for benefits until you've been out of work for five months and if you are expected to be totally and completely disabled for at least a year. After 24 months on SSDI, you will qualify for Medicare, Part A and Part B. SSI has many of the same rules but not all, so I'm not going to go there for now.

I'm an RN and did extensive health coaching and chronic condition management (diabetes, CAD, COPD, asthma and many other chronic and often life threatening and limiting conditions). This is where I would direct my patients who didn't know where to start. It's somewhat complicated, but all the information is there. If you aren't able to grasp some of it, perhaps you can have a relative or friend to help you out. This page gives you the information on disabling conditions and the parameters. If you fit these parameters and have documentation to prove it, usually approval is relatively easy and rapid.

Remember, attorneys who help you file for SSDI have a vested interest in dragging out your case as long as possible. Their fees are a percentage of the lump sum award and the longer it takes for you to get your benefits, the more money they make. I know multiple people who applied on their own, most with help from non-attorneys and received their benefits without undue delay. Make it easy for your Social Security case worker. If you fit the parameters and can provide the documentation, do it in the order of what is listed, so they can just check off the info needed. Social Security now has a wonderful tool for consumers to use-you can upload information to them directly.

So here is where Social Security starts in order to determine if you are disabled or not. They make it somewhat difficult for laymen to find this info.

https://www.ssa.gov/disability/professionals/bluebook/AdultListings.htm

Have at it and all my best.
Ted

So you are disabled by diabetes which makes it hard to concentrate and complete tasks. Blood sugar is crazy and bounces. Then you are asked to figure out red tape bureaucratic forms to get benefits. Sounds impossible. Hope all who need this get the help to help themselves.

I think the stereotype of people on SSI and SSDI need to stop. Some rich and poor people commit fraud everyday. People living off SSI/SSDI paycheck are living day to day.

If your income is low enough to qualify for SSI, you should also qualify for snap (food stamps) and free lifeline cell phone or landline service (and discounted high speed internet from some providers). In most states, snap eligibility is solely based on income and there is no longer any asset test.

Not understanding why smart cellphones are such a trigger for people being labeled as wasteful. There are MVNO cellphone companies (red pocket) where you can buy a years worth of cellphone service for $65. So about $5.50 per month. Seriously. People do that.

As far as food, it’s political in each state about who will be paid to not starve. It’s how our USA USA USA society values certain people. Mothers with kids get food help with SNAP maybe.

Goshawk said:
As far as food, it’s political in each state about who will be paid to not starve. It’s how our USA USA USA society values certain people. Mothers with kids get food help with SNAP maybe.

It's not just mothers with kids, anyone with sufficiently low income (below 2x federal poverty level) can qualify for SNAP benefits.  And most states have waived assets tests in recent years.

ZacLee said:
It's not just mothers with kids, anyone with sufficiently low income (below 2x federal poverty level) can qualify for SNAP benefits.  And most states have waived assets tests in recent years.

Which states have waived asset tests? Here in SC you are not getting SNAP unless you are female with kids. They just don’t have enough money.

For example, California has waived asset tests for SNAP:

1. Which households are subject to the Resource Limit?

Resources are counted only for those households that :

1.Contain a member who has been disqualified from participating in CalFresh because of an Intentional Program Violation,

2.Have a head of household does not comply with work requirements,

3.Have any member of the household has been convicted of certain categories of drug felonies

Most CalFresh households are subject to a gross income determination test. Gross Income is
all non-excludable income from any source including all earned income and all unearned
income. The maximum gross allowed is 200% of the Federal poverty level (FPL). Below is a
chart of gross monthly income for 200% of the Federal poverty level by household size.

Gross Monthly Income Eligibility
Standards for Modified Categorical
Eligibility (MCE)/Broad-Based Categorical
Eligibility (BBCE) (200% of Poverty Level)

Household Size                 Gross Income
1                                         $2,010
2                                           2,708
3                                           3,404
4                                           4,100
5                                           4,798
6                                           5,494

http://www.cdss.ca.gov/inforesources/CDSS-Programs/CalFresh/Eligibility-and-Issuance-Requirements

As of 2015, 36 states states have waived assets tests for SNAP.  

http://www.governing.com/topics/hea...es-rethink-asset-test-people-food-stamps.html

SNAP is a federal program and the state/local expenses for it are limited to administration expenses, mainly the case workers who process applications.  It would be to the state's benefit to sign up as many people as possible qualify.  The benefits become an economic stimulus of sorts.

policy-map