Spots I have found. Dallas, Tyler, Albuquerque, & Flagstaff

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Let me preface this by saying that at some of these times I literally did not have gas $ to go anywhere and I do understand that staying for long periods of time at businesses is bad manners, but I also know that there are other people out there who are in a bind and could use some friendly advice. Also I got stuck in Dallas because my car needed repairs before being safe to get on the highway. Life is looking wayyyy up for me lately as I've just bought a piece of land... Anyways, here goes. 

In Dallas, Texas I stayed at the Walmart on Broadway in the Garland section of Dallas blatantly and in a minivan for about a month. They never said anything to me. There is a whole community of car dwellers there as well cops frequented but seemed to turn a blind eye. 

The walmart on Troup hwy in Tyler was friendly as well I stayed there for more than a week parking at the very back of the lot. I stayed at some other walmarts in the area as well with no issue. 

In Albuquerque, both home depots don't mind. Though the one on Eubank had cops that basically told me to kick rocks after a week. (The gas station on the corner of Eubank and Central will let you fill your water jug in the sink if you ask!)
Lowes is also a great choice.
If you want to get out of the city I HIGHLY recommend dispersed camping just past the Cedro trailhead in Tijeras. There are designed free camping spots with firepits on the mountain side. 14 day limit. store 20-25 down the road. Go past the Cedro trailhead and turn right or left. I turned left. I was in a minivan and there were 2 designated spots I could make it to before the road got too treacherous. I did see a guy in a sedan staying on the side of the actual road as well for a couple days so that is an option as well I am assuming if the other spots are full. Best part? There was cell phone service here!
I would not recommend staying overnight at Cabela's for more than 1 night if you have a child with you. Some butthead called for a welfare check on my son. Cops talked to me and then left me alone. On the other hand if no children are involved, I talked to a van couple that had been staying there at nighttime for 3 weeks straight and also saw a huge rv parked there for 4 days straight. 

For Arizona, I stayed at the Home Depot on Marketplace and was fine. Got there maybe 5 pm, parked in the back by petco. Left at 6 am.
Also there is a dispersed camping area on Cosnino Rd a ways before Flagstaff when you're going Westbound that was very promising. I didn't end up staying because it started snowing unfortunately. No cell service here. 

I hope this helps someone.
All of this was within the past 4 months so pretty recently. If you want to know how to purchase land for $500 down and $100/month in Arizona let me know in the comments. That is what I am doing. No credit check. No proof of income needed!

Keep us informed how it goes with your land! I used to follow "George and Tioga" when I first started out and he would scout out a few places to sleep during the day then show up to sleep at 10PM and leave before 6AM spending the day in day use areas like city parks, beaches or libraries. It seems where there is a will there is a way! Best Wishes!

Hey. All is well. Been on it all of 4 days and I am LOVING it. Dreaming up all the things I want and need to do. All in due time I suppose. It's my little slice of heaven. I put $400 down and I'm paying $115 a month. So no complaints man! First order of business is killing off some of these arizona weeds! Stickers are about. I'm literally right on the edge of a national forest too. Amazing views. It's my little slice of shangri la after dealing with concrete babylon. Haha.

Thanks for sharing your parking experiences and knowledge. I'm in a similar situation. I just got out of OTR trucking after 12 years and am in the Conroe/Spring TX area to be closer to family. I have a self contained camper in a Tacoma pickup.  I'm going o be in  this are for awhile, so I want a place to park without being hassled. I'm renting a garage apt until the end of the month and I'm getting all the finishing touches done one my rig. Any ideas, could I get away with Cabelas, Walmart, ect? Seems like there are a TON of cops around here.
Thanks..

PS, what are the details about this land you are talking about? Where is it in AZ? I'm assuming it's unrestricted?