[split] Portable Washing Machine and Dishwasher

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
XFILE36 said:
AT, I don't know as of yet where I will be staying, but I'm just guessing twice a week I might want a shower at one of the campgrounds with electricity.  That may change when I am where I have to be so who knows.

I just saw 2 things on Camping World that are on my wishlist:  A washer for clothes for $75 here http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/item/portable-washing-machine/82157 and a dishwasher at $320.  http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/item/vesta-countertop-dishwasher/60342  I am wondering about the electric load though on it.  I sure hate washing dishes.  I would think both are decent prices.

Both the dishwasher and the washing machine consume huge quantities of water. And that's before we start talking about the electric load.

Unless you're planning on staying full-time in campgrounds with FHUs those two things will be used as closet space! If I'm not mistaken you're not looking at buying a 45' Class A with humongous holding tanks to accommodate all the fresh water to use them and all the gray water that will be produced.

I live on a gallon of water a day for drinking and dishes and add 1 1/2 gallons to the mix for each shower. One learns to cook and eat more economically in terms of water usage and for a friendlier approach to our environment. I have my own solar shower that I use most often and only end up at a state park or someplace with showers occasionally. In a lot of places I can go to the community center and shower on a daily pass. Cottonwood for example is $5.00 and I can go work out, use the pool and shower. That's far more economical than checking in to the state park.

I also hate washing dishes so as a single person on the road I can stretch it to at least 2 full days before I have to wash dishes and that's because I don't stoop to eating out of the saucepan yet.... :D :rolleyes: I wash dishes in less than a 1/2 gallon quite satisfactorily.

Almost There said:
Both the dishwasher and the washing machine consume huge quantities of water.
The washing machine only takes 1.5 gallons of water and it's not like I will be washing clothes all the time.  I'm planning on buying this one or another like it.  Depending on the situation, I still could use public dryers.  If you think that's bad, wait 'til you see my blow up bathtub.  I won't fill it up all the way all the time.  It's just one of those things I gotta have. :D

One of the people here have a washer spinner combo. He ran it last week and it took a lot of water, produced a lot of grey water and ended up taking enough power that we had to plug it into my trailer. So it would be best in a park with water and sewer hook up. The only thing is they may not like you hanging out your undies since is has no dryer.

Ha, I evolved a way to hang out those delicate items even in the desert where everyone within a 1/2 mile has a view   :D 

I took a spare pillow case, cut an opening in the end at the middle so I could put a hanger inside of it. I hang my stuff on the hanger(s), pull the pillowcase down over it all and hang it in the tree or wherever.

Almost There said:
I took a spare pillow case, cut an opening in the end at the middle so I could put a hanger inside of it. I hang my stuff on the hanger(s), pull the pillowcase down over it all and hang it in the tree or wherever.

Now THAT'S modesty!

:p

akrvbob said:
Amazon has the washer for less than Camping World:
http://amzn.to/2hc8ndE

I have a friend who has this washer and really likes it:
http://amzn.to/2uMNysp

I was impressed enough with it I made a video about it which will come out later.

I like the looks of the 2nd one.  Does it need to have a dedicated water source or can it be filled by hand or with a hose as needed?

As for drying I have about 4 folding wooden drying racks that I use in my apt.  I've also tied them to a post outside and even to the Rangers sideboards.  Where there is a will, there is a way.  I wish I had a nickle for everytime I was told that while growing up!

Jewellann

XFILE36 said:
The washing machine only takes 1.5 gallons of water and it's not like I will be washing clothes all the time.  I'm planning on buying this one or another like it.  Depending on the situation, I still could use public dryers.  If you think that's bad, wait 'til you see my blow up bathtub.  I won't fill it up all the way all the time.  It's just one of those things I gotta have. :D

I think if I can't live without a bidet in mine then you shouldn't have to live without a washer, dishwasher, and blow up bathtub!!!

We gotta have what we gotta have!

We used a wonder wash for a year along with a "spin dryer", both from the Laundry Alternative. They worked very well and the spinner didn't take too much power (used on sunny days).
The next year we were building a tiny house on wheels and upgraded to the side by side combo similar to the one Bob linked. It was nice to not have to crank the handle to wash. You can add water to the tub without using the tube that connects to a faucet.
Space is the biggest issue, in my oppinion, with these. They take up a lot of space for an item used once a week. Water use is another issue. The wonder wash can be used with less water and with some creativity the rinse water can be recycled into the next loads wash water.
In the end we decided that since we would go shopping once a week anyways, we would wash clothes at the laundromat and hang on the line back at camp upon returning. If you are buying water plus going to town anyway, it seems be a wash (pun intended).
The folks i admire are the ones that can do all their laundry in a bucket with a plunger. That's amazing. I got the "no f'n way" look when i mentioned that to my wife.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Tapatalk

Thanks for the links Bob. I will have to read the rest later....my original post was on another thread and apparently the mod "split" it and put it here. I may be flying to get my van tomorrow, very busy today.

hey, what's wrong with a bucket and a solar clothes dryer? that's what I use. highdesertranger

highdesertranger said:
hey, what's wrong with a bucket and a solar clothes dryer? that's what I use. highdesertranger
Absolutely nothing is wrong with that setup.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Tapatalk

Cammalu said:
I think if I can't live without a bidet in mine then you shouldn't have to live without a washer, dishwasher, and blow up bathtub!!!  

We gotta have what we gotta have!

Amen Sista!  When I was hunting for my condo it had a bidet.  I made the guy remove it so I would buy it, lol! :D

I have used these in the Philippines, they work extremely well. Low water use, minimal space, great workout!
[img=320x240]https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/61Rcea-a1rL._SL1280_.jpg[/img]
41IUBB6x4YL._AC_US218_.jpg